Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can You Believe This (warning racial content)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I think you've been missing it all along, Harry. Every time you say "There's no racism," you miss it. Every time you say, "But what about the poor whites who don't get hired because of affirmative action," you miss it. Every time you tell us to stay out of some neighborhood, every time you remark on welfare rolls, every time you cite some black-only crime rate, you miss it.

This kind of stuff is not unique. It's not new, it's not unusual, it's not even considered "racism" in the deep South. It's considered "the way things are," by blacks and whites alike. There are a whole lot of schools in the South who hold separate proms and separate homecomings. There are hundreds of schools who just somehow "don't have" minority cheerleaders or minority class presidents. The rules don't even need to be written, although in this case they were, they just are - and everyone knows they are.

It's not even a pre-civil rights law, either, it was placed on the books in 1969 - years after this kind of "rule" was supposed to be illegal. It's not a 1969 law left on the books by accident - it's a 1969 law based on beliefs that people still hold today. Witness the teacher's answer when asked what about mixed race children...."we go with the mother's race because minority fathers usually aren't in the home anyway." Well, I got news for that teacher - there's a whole lot of majority fathers who aren't in the home, either.

I'm surprised you're suprised.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Thank you, I never knew all that.