PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we talk WR for a bit?

Some analysts think the second best receiver in this draft is Cal's Keenan Allen, behind Tavon Austin. The fact his 40 time is 4.7 today at his pro day means he may slip to the second round. This if this is true, we can attempt to drop down with extra decent picks, and still get him early in the second round.

This is looking promising.

So we're clamoring for a player who is falling?

I like this article even better:
Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures

This one is good too (and very disturbing):
Slot Machines: Danny Amendola Is The Poor Man's Wes Welker

Bill should've just signed Welker to the 2-year deal and let the TEs rule the middle starting in 2015.

Stone - The second article is only disturbing in how poorly it's written. First, and foremost, he fails to mention the true specifics of the Welker Contract. That fact, alone, should make anyone leary. Secondly, he mentions almost nothing about the differences in the offenses, such as the fact that Amendola was the Rams best receiver. How the Rams only had Steven Jackson for other offensive help. No help from the TEs. Almost no help from the other WRs. Third, because the author ignores the previous issue, he erroneously lambastes Amendola for his YPC. He also fails to mention that Amendola's YPC has gone up each of the 4 years. In fact, he glosses over Amendola's improvements since joining the leave. If we were to go by this author's thinking, the Pats were idiots to trade a 2nd and a 7th for Wes Welker back in 2007.

Do you guys still think that they are going to draft a WR in the first two rounds (if they don't trade down and the Steelers don't match the RFA tender and take the Patriots 3rd round pick)? And they have signed Edelman...

As Reiss mentions, here were BB's comments on college receivers:
Analysis: Emmanuel Sanders offer - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
“As I’ve said many times before, I think the college passing game is a lot different than the (pro) passing game so that it involves, pass protection, pass rush, pass execution and pass defense. So, we all look at the same film. We’re all trying to evaluate the same players. But, it’s a lot easier to watch a guy in the NFL perform and translate his skills for your team than watch a guy in college perform because of the discrepancy in the passing game. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s just the way it is.’’

I think that the signing of Edelman and the offer to Sanders make it MORE likely that we are drafting a WR high in the draft. Both are one-year deals.

Do you guys still think that they are going to draft a WR in the first two rounds (if they don't trade down and the Steelers don't match the RFA tender and take the Patriots 3rd round pick)? And they have signed Edelman...

As Reiss mentions, here were BB's comments on college receivers:
Analysis: Emmanuel Sanders offer - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
“As I’ve said many times before, I think the college passing game is a lot different than the (pro) passing game so that it involves, pass protection, pass rush, pass execution and pass defense. So, we all look at the same film. We’re all trying to evaluate the same players. But, it’s a lot easier to watch a guy in the NFL perform and translate his skills for your team than watch a guy in college perform because of the discrepancy in the passing game. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s just the way it is.’’

Reading some tweets (Daniel Jeremiah, Lance Zierlein) that they're hearing a buzz that Patterson may not go in the first round.

While I would be intrigued as hell if we took him, he seems to be the least Patriot like WR out there with very little chance we'd take him.

Stone - The second article is only disturbing in how poorly it's written. First, and foremost, he fails to mention the true specifics of the Welker Contract. That fact, alone, should make anyone leary. Secondly, he mentions almost nothing about the differences in the offenses, such as the fact that Amendola was the Rams best receiver. How the Rams only had Steven Jackson for other offensive help. No help from the TEs. Almost no help from the other WRs. Third, because the author ignores the previous issue, he erroneously lambastes Amendola for his YPC. He also fails to mention that Amendola's YPC has gone up each of the 4 years. In fact, he glosses over Amendola's improvements since joining the leave. If we were to go by this author's thinking, the Pats were idiots to trade a 2nd and a 7th for Wes Welker back in 2007.

Scott Kacsmar posts as "still_life" over on KFFL. He's a Steelers and Colts fan, and hates all things BB, Brady, and the Patriots. Just some important context.

Scott Kacsmar posts as "still_life" over on KFFL. He's a Steelers and Colts fan, and hates all things BB, Brady, and the Patriots. Just some important context.

I appreciate the info.. Though I don't believe it changes my opinion of the article that it was poorly written and willfully over-looked things.

On a separate note, which "Stats" website is it that everyone villifies?

Given the current composition of the WR corps, I sure hope they draft one, or two, WRs in the first and/or high second round.

Fair enough. Time will, as always, tell the tale. I just don't have a good feeling about any
of these moves at WR.

Fair enough. Time will, as always, tell the tale. I just don't have a good feeling about any
of these moves at WR.

Stone - You've made it a point, year in and year out, to complain about 90% of the moves that Belichick makes. In fact, you have pontificated on more than one occasion to the point where you'd have us believe that you were a better GM than Belichick.

But, tell me, didn't you complain about the Wes Welker deal originally back in 2007????

Given the current composition of the WR CORPS, I sure hope they draft one, or two, WRs in the first and/or high second round.

Given the current composition of the wide receiving corps, I sure hope that they draft two wide receivers in the 7th round, namely:

Brice Butler, WR, San Diego State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

03/24/13 - 2013 San Diego State Pro Day: Another intriguing "defensive back" at the SDSU workout played receiver while with the Aztecs. Wideout Brice Butler caught 24 passes for 347 yards and four touchdowns in 2012 for San Diego State but some of the scouts on hand for the workout asked him about his willingness to make the switch to cornerback, the same position his father - Bobby Butler - used to play for the Atlanta Falcons from 1981-1992.

The younger Butler certainly helped his cause Tuesday by turning in blazing times in the 40-yard dash (4.36 seconds) and three-cone drill (6.62 seconds), as well as showing off his explosiveness in the vertical jump (39 inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 9 inches). The 6-3, 206-pound Butler currently ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 96-rated wide receiver. After this sparkling workout, he'll be rising up draft boards regardless of which position he'll be performing at in the NFL. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

and

Courtney Gardner - Football Recruiting

Last edited:
Given the current composition of the wide receiving corp (not corps), I sure hope that they draft two wide receivers in the 7th round, namely:

:confused: The proper spelling is corps. . . .

Given the current composition of the wide receiving corps, I sure hope that they draft two wide receivers in the 7th round, namely:

Brice Butler, WR, San Diego State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

03/24/13 - 2013 San Diego State Pro Day: Another intriguing "defensive back" at the SDSU workout played receiver while with the Aztecs. Wideout Brice Butler caught 24 passes for 347 yards and four touchdowns in 2012 for San Diego State but some of the scouts on hand for the workout asked him about his willingness to make the switch to cornerback, the same position his father - Bobby Butler - used to play for the Atlanta Falcons from 1981-1992.

The younger Butler certainly helped his cause Tuesday by turning in blazing times in the 40-yard dash (4.36 seconds) and three-cone drill (6.62 seconds), as well as showing off his explosiveness in the vertical jump (39 inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 9 inches). The 6-3, 206-pound Butler currently ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 96-rated wide receiver. After this sparkling workout, he'll be rising up draft boards regardless of which position he'll be performing at in the NFL. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Aaaaaaand I've now got my draft binky.

You don't choose your binky, your binky chooses you...

In past years we have emphasized an offensive position through the course of the draft. One year it was Gronk and Hernandez, another it was Vereen and Ridley.

I believe after we get multiple picks for our first we will focus on the wide receiver position, drafting two. I think we will grab Keenan Allen in the second, after he falls due to his poor 40 time.

i like keenan allen and i hope we get him i just hope we dont pick him in front of a defensive stud but getting allen would add a huge boost to our team

With the likelihood of only having 4 picks (1st, 2nd, and 2-7ths) to start the draft, the thought of the Pats adding 2 WRs with picks is highly unlikely.

Now, add the possibility of Sanders and it's even less likely.

Amendola, Edelman, Sanders is not a bad combination. The likelihood that we see the 3 of them on the field in any regularity is small. It's much more likely that we see Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard.

Anyone who thinks the Pats are done adding WRs is sorely mistaken though. There will be some more vets cut after June 1st and as I mentioned before, there is a high likelihood that the Pats added 15-20 UDFAs after the draft.

Butler and Gardner fall into that category.. The UDFAs.. As does Jaron Brown, who is another late round intriguing prospect. 6'2 3/8", 204 lbs. Graduated in 3.5 years. Acedemic Honor Roll 4 years. Runs a 4.4 with a 7.01 3 cone and a 4.07 20 yard shuttle.

Oh.. And don't count out Jeremy Ebert just yet.. The fact that he convinced the Pats to bring him back last year and that he stuck shouldn't be lost on anyone.

With the likelihood of only having 4 picks (1st, 2nd, and 2-7ths) to start the draft, the thought of the Pats adding 2 WRs with picks is highly unlikely.

Now, add the possibility of Sanders and it's even less likely.

Amendola, Edelman, Sanders is not a bad combination. The likelihood that we see the 3 of them on the field in any regularity is small. It's much more likely that we see Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard.

Anyone who thinks the Pats are done adding WRs is sorely mistaken though. There will be some more vets cut after June 1st and as I mentioned before, there is a high likelihood that the Pats added 15-20 UDFAs after the draft.

Butler and Gardner fall into that category.. The UDFAs.. As does Jaron Brown, who is another late round intriguing prospect. 6'2 3/8", 204 lbs. Graduated in 3.5 years. Acedemic Honor Roll 4 years. Runs a 4.4 with a 7.01 3 cone and a 4.07 20 yard shuttle.

Oh.. And don't count out Jeremy Ebert just yet.. The fact that he convinced the Pats to bring him back last year and that he stuck shouldn't be lost on anyone.

Hey Bruinz - Hope that you are a having a good Friday night. I completely agree....I am not spending that much value, if I were BB, knowing that the WR class is deep with a high bust rate.

It is funny that no one is talking Ebert....

Have a good weekend.

Aaaaaaand I've now got my draft binky.

You don't choose your binky, your binky chooses you...

I'm afraid you shouldn't bother. Because one of my own favourite prospects, Leon McFadden plays for SDSU, I watched a fair bit of them this year and having learnt that Butler was a USC transfer, I focused on Butler a bit. Suffice to say, he was pretty terrible - I discounted him by the end of the first quarter I saw him; v bad hands if I remember. 96th best WR sounds about right.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back