PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we talk about Flynn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with Chevis Jackson. As an LSU alum and fan, I had a lot of opportunity to watch Flynn for several years when he was in college. I rarely miss an LSU game. And the kid is very smart and a winner. I can honestly say he is one of the smartest QBs I have seen in terms of not forcing throws and taking what the defense gives him. In that sense, he is like Tom Brady.

What he lacks is a ton of talent. He doesn't have a huge arm or strength in the pocket. He is decently accurate and can move around a bit scrambling, but just isn't a great athlete.

He is a winner. I can honestly say that. Just one of those kids who makes the team around him play better. And he is a leader. He lacks NFL experience, so I think Sunday could be tough for him. But given some extended experience I have no doubt the kid could turn into an effective game manager type QB who avoids mistakes and keeps his team in it then finds a way to lead them to wins at the end. I just don't expect that right away in his first NFL start and he probably will make some mistakes at first. But I'd never 100% count him out because I know he's a winner.

J D Sal

Thanks for the info, I know nothing about this kid. Just wondering what you meant by lacks strength in the pocket? Like he bails quickly or has poor pocket presence or gets taken down easily when contacted?

I doubt the Patriots will underestimate Flynn, and I read earlier this week that McCarthy said that Flynn has had a good week of practice. While that does not always translate to the game, I think Flynn will play better than he did against the Lions because of the preparation that goes with being the starter. However, the Patriots defense has been very stingy with the yards the past few weeks, so I expect that to continue. The challenge for the Packers will be to execute sustained drives and minimize or eliminate turnovers against an opportunistic Patriots defense. Not an easy task at all.

Re: Reiss: How Rodgers' decision affects Pats

It seems every time the Pats play a QB they don't have film on or haven't faced before, the QB seems to have a big day. Here's hoping that trend discontinues. I could come up with examples but I'm too lazy to look.

It seems every time the Pats play a QB they don't have film on or haven't faced before, the QB seems to have a big day. Here's hoping that trend discontinues. I could come up with examples but I'm too lazy to look.

Looking back though I think pretty much all of them had a running game. Where as Flynn it's going to be all on him. AJ Feely had Brian Westbrook,Kyle Boller had Willis McGahee, Colt McCoy had Payton Hillis. And Sanchez has Thomas Jones. I do think Flynn could have a big game though.

BB's defenses don't do as well against guys he doesn't have a lot of tape on. Can't really game plan for a guy whose tendencies are unknown.

But I still think we win this one.

This. Honestly I wouldnt be very surprised if this guy pulls a Ryan Fitzpatrick (see Week 3, 20/28 247yds 2tds 2ints) on us.

A lot of people seem to be writing off the Pack because Flynn is starting. I gotta say if he just avoids mistakes and they get some running game going they have a legit shot to not only stay with us but to beat us. This team is desperate and that makes them dangerous... add to that the DEFENSE no one seems to be talking to much about. Packers D is very very good.. they rush the passer and they have big time playmakers. They also have the #1 scoring D... they are legit. Now i'm not saying I don't think the Pats will win, we should... But I think to overlook a very good team (even without the starting QB) would be a mistake... Any given sunday. GO PATS!

Thats really my only concern.

Thanks for the info, I know nothing about this kid. Just wondering what you meant by lacks strength in the pocket? Like he bails quickly or has poor pocket presence or gets taken down easily when contacted?
No, I meant actual strength. He isn't the Roethlisberger type whose going to break free from the grasp when he does get caught in the pocket. He can scramble a bit, but if you get to him, he'll go down.

I suspect Flynn will get some yards but ultimately be stymied by BB's schemes. Again he'll get some yards because -- and etch the following in stone--: BB/The Patriots will dare Flynn/GB to pass. They might as well put it up on the jumbotron "I dare you to pass". The Patriot defensive formations will be based on run support. If the Patriots are effective in shutting down GB's running game, the Patriots will win (likely by a comfortable margin - the comfort level will depend on the Patriots pass protection). Under those conditions the amount of touches Brady/the offense will get will be too much for GB to keep pace with. However, if GB establishes a running game, something they will attempt to do given the injuries on the DL and the inexperienced QB, Flynn may very well have a "breakout" game (repeatedly 3rd and short is a QB's, especially a new QB, best friend).

The Packer's strength is their receivers and their passing game; the Packer's weakness is their running backs and their running game.

Given that, why would the Pats enter the game with a 'I dare you to pass' mindset?

Last edited:
The Packer's strength is their receivers and their passing game; the Packer's weakness is their running backs and their running game.

Given that, why would the Pats enter the game with a 'I dare you to pass' mindset?

Agreed though the numbers are based on AR being at QB. With Flynn at QB it appears to be a different Packers team (given the Det game). I would think GB would try hard to establish the ground game (especially given the DL situation with the Patriots). It will keep Brady off the field and keep Flynn from having to throw the ball 40 times.
As far as the Patriots go, I would think BB would savor the new, unproven QB throwing the ball a lot (it will be the Jets part two).
Hey, maybe I am off base. Maybe the Packers believe they can come into Foxboro and win a shootout with the Patriots (with Flynn at QB)......from my POV I just don't see it as a winning game plan for GB. And I would guess, just like the Jets game, forcing Sanchez/Flynn into throwing the ball often will create good things for the Patriots.
We shall see......

No, I meant actual strength. He isn't the Roethlisberger type whose going to break free from the grasp when he does get caught in the pocket. He can scramble a bit, but if you get to him, he'll go down.

Gotcha, thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to see this for myself tonight (numerous times I hope!). :D

Agreed

22 for 35 265 yards 2 TD 2 INT

He will have a great day against this D. Especially since they will hold McCourty out.

If by great day you mean 22 for 35 with 265 yards total, 2 TD and 2 INT, I agree. :cool:

This is why Flynn could keep a ton of drives alive with his feet. A game like this could be a prep game for when we face Vick in the superbowl.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Chevis Jackson. As an LSU alum and fan, I had a lot of opportunity to watch Flynn for several years when he was in college. I rarely miss an LSU game. And the kid is very smart and a winner. I can honestly say he is one of the smartest QBs I have seen in terms of not forcing throws and taking what the defense gives him. In that sense, he is like Tom Brady.

What he lacks is a ton of talent. He doesn't have a huge arm or strength in the pocket. He is decently accurate and can move around a bit scrambling, but just isn't a great athlete.

He is a winner. I can honestly say that. Just one of those kids who makes the team around him play better. And he is a leader. He lacks NFL experience, so I think Sunday could be tough for him. But given some extended experience I have no doubt the kid could turn into an effective game manager type QB who avoids mistakes and keeps his team in it then finds a way to lead them to wins at the end. I just don't expect that right away in his first NFL start and he probably will make some mistakes at first. But I'd never 100% count him out because I know he's a winner.

J D Sal

Did you just compare Flynn to Tom Brady. :eek: *facepalm* Gimme a break. I know BB likes to talk up the opposition but that's ridiculous.

I told you so. :)

Agreed

22 for 35 265 yards 2 TD 2 INT

He will have a great day against this D. Especially since they will hold McCourty out.

Amazingly close. 24 for 37 for 251, 3 TDs and 1 INT. The kid played extremely well. I think some team should make an offer for him in the off-season. Maybe the Jets :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back