PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we talk about Flynn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB's defenses don't do as well against guys he doesn't have a lot of tape on. Can't really game plan for a guy whose tendencies are unknown.

But I still think we win this one.
I think thats a common misperception.

isn't this the kind of stuff everyone was saying about Brady in 2001?

With such an anemic running attack they eally need a top notch QB to be competitive. Just not seeing that out of Flynn based on last weeks display. Arm str looked avg and he is facing the hottest team in the league.

GB just isnt built to win offensively with a game manager this year.

You guys are severely underestimating Flynn. He is not Aaron Rodgers by any means, or even Matt Cassel. But the guy has some skills and is a competent backup. We aren't facing a complete stiff.

When criticizing Flynn's last game, you overlook that he did not have a week of preparation. This week is entirely different. He's had reps and gone thru specific gameplay to cater to his abilities. So expect Flynn to perform better.

Second this. There's an enormous difference between a 2nd-string QB and an "uh-oh, put on your helmet, quick!" QB.

As for McCoy and Fitzpatrick, they're not chopped liver and they have a lot in common. Not the biggest, most impressive athletes; not the strongest arms. But they're generally smart, patient, accurate quarterbacks who take what you give them and don't make stupid mistakes. IOW, "game managers" -- a term that's often used dismissively, but I take it as a complement. And it seems to me that the game manager type is the type BB has the most trouble with.

I can't claim to be a Matt Flynn expert, but I notice that in his pre-draft profile, nfldraftscout.com said the best NFL comparison was...Ryan Fitzpatrick. (And he even has the classic Irish surname to match Fitzpatrick and McCoy.)

Flynn is a poor man's Rodgers. Like Rodgers he can run and pass, but obviously he's not as polished in the passing game. Idk how much a week of practice can help him, but if he see's nothing down field he won't hesitate took tuck and run, so the D is gonna have to b on the look out for that. Not saying he's gonna gash the D but its something to be aware of.

I completely agree with Chevis Jackson. As an LSU alum and fan, I had a lot of opportunity to watch Flynn for several years when he was in college. I rarely miss an LSU game. And the kid is very smart and a winner. I can honestly say he is one of the smartest QBs I have seen in terms of not forcing throws and taking what the defense gives him. In that sense, he is like Tom Brady.

What he lacks is a ton of talent. He doesn't have a huge arm or strength in the pocket. He is decently accurate and can move around a bit scrambling, but just isn't a great athlete.

He is a winner. I can honestly say that. Just one of those kids who makes the team around him play better. And he is a leader. He lacks NFL experience, so I think Sunday could be tough for him. But given some extended experience I have no doubt the kid could turn into an effective game manager type QB who avoids mistakes and keeps his team in it then finds a way to lead them to wins at the end. I just don't expect that right away in his first NFL start and he probably will make some mistakes at first. But I'd never 100% count him out because I know he's a winner.

J D Sal

Last edited:
When criticizing Flynn's last game, you overlook that he did not have a week of preparation.

I am sure he was prepared! Are you saying that any week, Brian Hoyer does nothing! Coaches know what can happen, and need to prepare all players! He might not have had the reps with the first team, but he had the gameplan!

He's got a measely 59 rating in Madden 2010, I don't have 2011 though.

Hope that helps

But what is his swagger rating? Thats the important one ;)

You guys are severely underestimating Flynn. He is not Aaron Rodgers by any means, or even Matt Cassel. But the guy has some skills and is a competent backup. We aren't facing a complete stiff.

Hi Bill Belichick. Welcome to Patsfans ;)

Rodgers now officially declared OUT. Matt Flynn to start.

@AdamSchefter

Now it's official. RT @TomSilverstein: Packers declare QB Aaron Rodgers out for Sunday's NE game. Backup Matt Flynn will start.

But what is his swagger rating? Thats the important one ;)

I just loaded my franchise and it says 'it's not like Mick Jagger'... whatever that means!

Speaking of Flynn and his ilk, I think that over 1/4th the teams are starting 2nd or 3rd string QBs Sunday/Monday. Think about the competitive consequences throughout the rosters with an 18 game season. There's already a marked dearth of NFL level competent starters.
Exactly. We've got:

Possibility of Croyle
Henne only because Pennington's shoulder is made of butter
McCoy who only got a chance because of Delhomme and Wallace ankle injuries
Collins
does Vick for Kolb count?
Stanton/Hill for Stafford/Hill
Skelton for Anderson and Hall (and Whiz cutting his only real QB)
Clausen for Moore
Kitna for Romo
a dinged up Garrard
Sanchez :singing:
Tebow for Orton
Campbell for Gradkowski
Flynn for Rogers
Webb for Jackson for Favre

Speaking of Flynn and his ilk, I think that over 1/4th the teams are starting 2nd or 3rd string QBs Sunday/Monday. Think about the competitive consequences throughout the rosters with an 18 game season. There's already a marked dearth of NFL level competent starters.
I heard or read somewhere over the last week or so that there have been or will be as of this weekend something like 54 different players that have started at QB in the NFL this season. That's a ridiculously high number in my opinion.

Second this. There's an enormous difference between a 2nd-string QB and an "uh-oh, put on your helmet, quick!" QB.

As for McCoy and Fitzpatrick, they're not chopped liver and they have a lot in common. Not the biggest, most impressive athletes; not the strongest arms. But they're generally smart, patient, accurate quarterbacks who take what you give them and don't make stupid mistakes. IOW, "game managers" -- a term that's often used dismissively, but I take it as a complement. And it seems to me that the game manager type is the type BB has the most trouble with.

I can't claim to be a Matt Flynn expert, but I notice that in his pre-draft profile, nfldraftscout.com said the best NFL comparison was...Ryan Fitzpatrick. (And he even has the classic Irish surname to match Fitzpatrick and McCoy.)

I third this

This is Matt Flynn's first start ever in the NFL. As for complete stiff, Matt Flynn has a career passer rating of 51.5, not exactly a stud either.

After Colt McCoy (granted, with a much better running game and some fortunate turnovers) and Ryan Fitzpatrick's performances, I'm not willing to count anything out, especially considering GB has a decent defense and is fighting to stay alive.

I have a feeling Flynn is capable of having a nice day against our team, just because the team has a history of giving up points to guys they don't have a lot of film on.

But, what makes me more confident is knowing the game is at home. Hopefully the crowd gets into it and makes it a tough day for him.

Agreed

22 for 35 265 yards 2 TD 2 INT

He will have a great day against this D. Especially since they will hold McCourty out.

I am sure he was prepared! Are you saying that any week, Brian Hoyer does nothing! Coaches know what can happen, and need to prepare all players! He might not have had the reps with the first team, but he had the gameplan!

Does hoyer impersonate the opponent's offense? If so, then I'm sure Flynn was supposed to copy Brady instead of Rodgers. Now his role has changed.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but this will be the first time a back up has started for Greenbay since '92.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back