Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can we stand it? Consumer confidence at an 6-year HIGH!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

One starts to understand why the tax-promising Dem Congress has 17% approval rating (or was it 13% two weeks ago?).

People in America feel more confident now than they have since 9/11 happened. Somebody's doing something right. Who did you say is president??

Consumer Confidence Hits 6-Year High
    Tuesday July 31, 11:39 am ET
    By Anne D'Innocenzio, AP Business Writer
    Consumer Confidence Rebounds in July to 6-Year High Amid Healthy Employment Outlook

NEW YORK (AP) -- Consumer confidence hit a six-year high in July, a widely watched gauge of sentiment showed on Tuesday, as Americans shrugged off falling home prices to focus on a healthy jobs market, instead.

The New York-based Conference Board said that its Consumer Confidence Index, rebounded to 112.6, its highest level since August 2001 when it recorded a 114.0 reading. That compared to a revised 105.3 in June. The July 24 cutoff for the preliminary survey of 5,000 U.S. households was before last week's stock market tumble, however.

"An improvement in business conditions and the job market has lifted consumers' spirits in July," said Lynn Franco, director of The Conference Board Consumer Research Center. "Looking ahead, consumers are more upbeat about short-term economic prospects, mainly the result of a decline in the number of pessimists, not an increase in the number of optimists. This rebound in confidence suggests economic activity may gather a little momentum in the coming months."

The Present Situation index, which measures how shoppers feel now about economic conditions, increased to 139.2 from 129.9 in June. The Expectations Index, which measures shoppers' outlook for the next six months, rose to 94.8 from 88.8.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070731/consumer_confidence.html?.v=6

//

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

But we haven't won a soccer match in a while, you call that success?

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

It is nice to see all the progress since the Democrats took over Congress: The recommendations of the 9/11 commission have been passed, Bush has been forced to change his Iraq strategy (to the one advocated years earlier by the likes of Kerry and McCain), and fickle consumer confidence today is good. But, of course there's much to be done. Cleaning up Republican corruption is ongoing activity (Ted Stevens, anyone?), finding a way to bring some sort of peace to Iraq is still a major challenge, capturing Osama and reigning in the Taliban are still problems, making the economy benefit working people as well as investors is still a struggle, resolving the foreclosure mess (at record levels) is still a problem. But, let's face it the Democrats have only been in power for even less time than Bush was in power before 9/11.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Yeah whatever. We have a good thing going ecomomically, much to your chagrin, and the Democrats are almost certain to mess it up.

5. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Let's face it, they're both certain to mess it up. If you're making money, they'll both take their cut.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I'm no fan of either one, certainly. But with regard to economic growth I am much more confident in the Republican system. Now if we could just get a Republican who isn't a big spender . . . :rolleyes:

7. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My point exactly, you're a fan of fiscal conservatism, so am I, but that's not what the Republicans stand for any more.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

Geez you forgot to mention the prez approval rating, which is pretty close to this.. must have copied this directly from Drudge.. keep drinking that lemonade, but no one else buys it.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +538 / 6 / -2

So your a fan of fiscal conservativism yet you support Amnesty legislation, and the continued invasion at our southern border. What were you saying about consistency the other day?

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I am a L-I-B-E-R-T-A-R-I-A-N. I support OPEN BORDERS. Go look at the platform.

My argument is that if you eliminate or severely reduce most social programs like welfare, etc, then immigration won't have a negative fiscal impact. There's nothing inconsistent about it.

It's assanine to subsidize an illegal alien's lifestyle, but it's just as assanine to subsidize anyone's lifestyle. Whether it's you or Jose from Mexico doesn't make a difference to me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I agree completely with what you have said - unfortunately I'm not sure it's realistic because we would get all the sob stories about grandmas and kids not getting (free) health care, etc. Also the threat of terrorists just walking over the border isn't taken into account here.

At a theoretical level I agree with you - unfortunately probably not at a practical level

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +538 / 6 / -2

So your inconsistent by rule . So long as we cleared that up, Mr Bottom-line-kind-of-guy. ;)

I know what the loony libertarian platform is. It's Candyland. I know a handful of Libertarians and they are so disimilar it's comical. They range from normal to lunatic. Some don't believe in citizenship or insurance. Libertarians always b!tch about the two majors, and think that they'd do so much better, yet no two libertarians ever agree on anything. I believe BF claims to be a Libertarian too. Hmmm...how often do you two agree? All Around Brown, isn't he an alleged Libertarian? How about Bill Maher? He says he's one too. That's some range of consistency eh?

Oh, and don't forget Wistah. Wistah aren't you a libertarian?

13. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And I wouldn't completely eliminate all assistance programs. For example, we need to take care of the retarded. They can't, and never will, be able to care for themselves, and just setting them loose in our cities is a recipe for crime. I also believe in short-term welfare, similar to unemployment insurance. Get some training, get a job, get off welfare. 1 year is plenty of time.

By open borders I don't mean literally no border control. You'd still man the borders and check identification, keep out criminals, etc, but you'd welcome anyone who wants to come (and doesn't have a criminal record or other serious problem). It would be disaster unless we reformed our social assistance system first.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't agree with Libertarians on lots of things (like private roads). And there are many branches of libertarianism. But there's nothing inconsistent with wanting a fiscal conservative policy and having open borders, provided you don't subsidize people once they're here.

15. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,347 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Wow, I've learned so much about the economy today since Fogbuster first informed us all this morning that the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 60 points in early trading because Rupert Murdoch was cleared to buy it!

16. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,347 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

By the way Fogbuster:

Have you any idea what you are writing about in this thread?

Consumer confidence is at a 6 year high.

Six years ago George W. Bush was 18 months into his own Presidency. So you are crowing that consumer confidence is has now matched the "peak" that he had it in 2001. So it is a NEAR personal best for W.

Kind of like being the tallest midget if you ask me.

17. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're welcomed. Send donations to "Save the Children".

//

18. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Another Democrat moderator. Is that all there is around here??!

//

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Spin it how you want, consumer confidence is good and that's very good for the ecomomy. Confidence was high at the beginning of Bush II, sure, Clinton's internet bubble hadn't popped yet.

20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

YO, RW!
    You said "Candyland" yesterday!
    You sound like me saying "War Pigs"!
    I'm a "Loony" Libertarian. Yes, it's true...I'm so ashamed, and now that you've attached the illiteration "loony" to it, I think the entire Libertarian concept is just loony.:(

Why did you single me out? I think you're up to something! :cool: