PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can We Really Go Wrong With Griffin at 28?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3. Griffin didn't play as good his senior year, which I think some people on here seem to forget.
Griffin is one I'll be curious to see how he does because GM Jr. Russ Lande has him as a 4th rounder based on his play (that's in the Sporting News mag that he did, I haven't seen his final update).

All of their sizes are fine, they just make me nervous because they're not THAT much bigger than Wilson who lasted about 2 seasons at Safety. That's my problem, though, not an inherent problem. And Wilson is smaller than these guys, he's about 190.

Regardless, I would be happy with any of them but, again, as the draft analysis continues I'm getting a gut feeling Griffin is second off the board.

I was the first to say Griffin will probably go earlier than people expect, that doesn't mean I think he should, though.

I was the first to say Griffin will probably go earlier than people expect, that doesn't mean I think he should, though.
Like I said earlier I just think the character and intelligence issues will drop Merriweather and Nelson, respectively, below him.

Like I said earlier I just think the character and intelligence issues will drop Merriweather and Nelson, respectively, below him.

Yup, that's what I'm thinking. Now, what we need to really figure out is if Nelson is really that dumb? Also, could he be used at CB, or would the Patriots like having a centerfielder at Safety? I think Meriweather fits the defense better than Nelson and Griffin, but will his character issues make NE look another direction?

Now, what we need to really figure out is if Nelson is really that dumb?

On a test -- yes. But as a football player...grasping the Pats defense...I DON'T KNOW. He is a playmaker though, was my favorite Safety until the low score entered into the evaluation, and will kick myself if BB selects him over Griffin (I guess then I'll have my answer).

Like most here, I'm just trying to stay on top of the risers and fallers. In the eyes of GMs (according to Gosselin), Nelson is the second best Safety and hasn't dropped (yet).

I just don't know if BB will pass on a player Urban Meyer calls one of the best football players he's ever coached in 20+ years. Not as productive as Griffin -- but who fits the Pats best?

Also, could he be used at CB, or would the Patriots like having a centerfielder at Safety?
Use him any way we want. That's the advantage of having versatile players -- BB will find a way to be creative.

I think Meriweather fits the defense better than Nelson and Griffin, but will his character issues make NE look another direction?
Unfortunately for Meriweather fans, the mystery won't be solved until round one unfolds.

On a test -- yes. But as a football player...grasping the Pats defense...I DON'T KNOW. He is a playmaker though, was my favorite Safety until the low score entered into the evaluation, and will kick myself if BB selects him over Griffin (I guess then I'll have my answer).

Like most here, I'm just trying to stay on top of the risers and fallers. In the eyes of GMs (according to Gosselin), Nelson is the second best Safety and hasn't dropped (yet).

I just don't know if BB will pass on a player Urban Meyer calls one of the best football players he's ever coached in 20+ years. Not as productive as Griffin -- but who fits the Pats best?

Use him any way we want. That's the advantage of having versatile players -- BB will find a way to be creative.

Unfortunately for Meriweather fans, the mystery won't be solved until round one unfolds.
Honestly, this draft is giving me a harder time than '06.

Meriweather isn't big enough to play FS, never mind SS.

I prefer Michael Griffin at FS to Meriweather or Nelson; however, I keep asking myself: with Griffin, Ross and Brown in the backfield, why did UT's pass defense stink as badly as it did?

How is Merriweather not big enough to play FS? Hes 5'11 and 195 lbs. Do you know how big Eugene Wilson is? How about 5'10 and 195 lbs. Basically the same size. And Wilson showed tht he can be a damn good player back there. I do agree that Merriweather is probably too small to play SS.

Now, about having Griffin, Ross and Brown in the UT backfield, you have to look at Ross 1st and foremost. I listed some major issues with him in another thread and its why I don't believe he's a Patriots type player.

How is Merriweather not big enough to play FS? Hes 5'11 and 195 lbs. Do you know how big Eugene Wilson is? How about 5'10 and 195 lbs. Basically the same size. And Wilson showed tht he can be a damn good player back there.
Unfortunately he lasted about 2 seasons and has been hurt ever since. That doesn't mean Merriweather would or even that it was Wilson's lack of bulk that had anything to do with it - but hardly seeing Wilson on the field since 2004 doesn't bolster the argument.

Unfortunately he lasted about 2 seasons and has been hurt ever since. That doesn't mean Merriweather would or even that it was Wilson's lack of bulk that had anything to do with it - but hardly seeing Wilson on the field since 2004 doesn't bolster the argument.

2 Eugene Wilson's are better than one as long as they take turns being injured. Speaking of Wilson how much longer is he signed?

Makes me pretty confident that Griffin Nelson or Meriweather will be one of the first round picks unless Bioli has scouted a hidden Gem elsewhere.

i see nothing about Griffin, Meriweather or Nelson htat make them "special" and worth drafting in the first round. The don't have special size like Landry. They don't have special speed like Landry.

Only Griffin is a hitter, and his coverage is not that good. They others are pretty good coverage but not big hitters.

The other next 5-6 safeties are not that far behind and one can probably be drafted as late as #4. Safeties have to be "special" IMO, to merit "overdrafting" their position. Most great safeties are 2-5 round picks. Look at the probowl of the last several years. There is Reed but then...

All of their sizes are fine, they just make me nervous because they're not THAT much bigger than Wilson who lasted about 2 seasons at Safety. That's my problem, though, not an inherent problem. And Wilson is smaller than these guys, he's about 190.

Thank you, BF. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is worried that Safeties in CBs' bodies stand a greater chance of injuring themselves. That's why I would rather see Wilson return to CB.

For the record: if BB is given the green light by his new best friend, Urban Meyer, and is convinced that Nelson's mental deficiencies can be coached-up, to an acceptable degree, then I won't jump off the Kissing Tower if Nelson is drafted ahead of Ross and/or Griffin. I am fairly confident that Brandon Meriweather will not become the new DB of the NEP.

Didn't BB want Sean Taylor a few years back and didn't he have some character issues?

Didn't BB want Sean Taylor a few years back and didn't he have some character issues?

BB also brought Meriweather along a few more times than other prospects this year. Hes not afraid of some issues..especialyl for a guy like Meriweather who had 1 incident on the field

I like Wendling from Wyoming.
He's got offered scholarships to Harvard and Stanford to play football.
So he's smart.

Very smart, team players, football smart.
Team first guy who was all state in 3 positions in high school.
Can even serve as a backup return man.

Can also be had in round 3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/wendling_john

I like Wendling from Wyoming.
He's got offered scholarships to Harvard and Stanford to play football.
So he's smart.

Very smart, team players, football smart.
Team first guy who was all state in 3 positions in high school.
Can even serve as a backup return man.

Can also be had in round 3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/wendling_john

expect we need a future playmaker and hopefully a future top safety. wendling will never be that

expect we need a future playmaker and hopefully a future top safety. wendling will never be that

I agree

but also add--why would anyone pass up either academic or athletic scholarships to both Stanford AND Harvard to attend Wyoming?

seems contradictory to his supposed intelligence

but also add--why would anyone pass up either academic or athletic scholarships to both Stanford AND Harvard to attend Wyoming?
Cowgirls. :singing: Yippy aye ayyyyyyyy Cow Patty! There's just something about the grip of a lady who rides horses to do the chores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back