PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can We Really Go Wrong With Griffin at 28?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It is likely that the top corners will be gone. Shouldn't we lock in help for the defensive backfield? It seems we should ahve someone other than Samuel signed at safety for 2008.

I'm thinking he won't be there. I think he's now the second Safety due to Merriweather's character issues and Nelson's intelligence issues.

I like Merriweather better than Griffin. I like them both though and wouldn't mind either at 28.

I'd be thrilled with any one of the 4 top safeties. I'm sure we'll end up with one.

to be honest I'd be fine with Griffin and think he's a good player, but at the same time I think Meriweather fits the defense better. Brandon is also more versatile. Don't forget Meriweather plays CB/FS/SS, and while playing CB he held Calvin Johnson to 68 yards, and went four other games without giving up a single reception. Heck, NE could use him at CB and at Safety if Rodney or Wilson go down, then they could use him at Safety full time next year. You know his coverage skills are good, but he's also good against the run. Meriweather does like throwing his body into RB's and WR's, but he's also good at wrapping up. I think he's a better tackler than Nelson, and Griffin. Griffin seems to lead with his shoulder more, and can go for the big hit to much, instead of wrapping up. I honestly think Nelson has great centerfielder coverage skills, but he's not a very good tackler, or that good in run support.

I also really like Wendling.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Jacksonvile doesn't take S Reggie Nelson with their first round pick. I have read that the J-ville coaching staff loves him, although it could be a smokescreen to bait other teams intrested to trade up for him. I have said this many many times, I feel that the value in the first round has a better chance through the defensive backfield rather then LB. I think many fans on this board will be surprised at the LB's that fall in the draft (Harris, Pozluzny, Beason). I noticed recent trends from past drafts that many ILB's that are rated 1st/2nd round prospects, end up being drafted in the third/fourth round. However, if the Pats do take a LB in the first round, I'm betting on Beason. But to answer the question, if the Pats end up with Griffin at #28, not #24, I would be happy with that. I want the Pats to draft two guys that can contribute immediatly in the secondary in the first round.

Right now here are my ideal scenerio's:

#24 S Reggie Nelson - can line up in the slot or play center field.
#28 CB Chris Houston - I would be surprised if he is available.

#24 CB Chris Houston
#28 S Michael Griffin

#24 S Reggie Nelson
#28 CB Aaron Ross

Hate him and would hate the pick. He was garbage all year against the pass.

Don't forget Meriweather plays CB/FS/SS,...

Meriweather isn't big enough to play FS, never mind SS.

I prefer Michael Griffin at FS to Meriweather or Nelson; however, I keep asking myself: with Griffin, Ross and Brown in the backfield, why did UT's pass defense stink as badly as it did?

I would also note than Griffin is a potential probowl STer, and yes I would be fine with him at 24. Nelson is a better player, but should be gone.

I had a good impression of Griffin, but as Nelson and Houston started slipping in my good graces, I took a closer look at his YouTube highlights... and I'll tell you what... he looks like a BB type of a player: throws his body around, loves the physical contact, blocks punts, gets fired up on the field.

He's my top DB right now, and I think he's worth picking at 24.

I prefer Michael Griffin at FS to Meriweather or Nelson; however, I keep asking myself: with Griffin, Ross and Brown in the backfield, why did UT's pass defense stink as badly as it did?

If I compose a list of NFL Free Safeties you'll see how funny that comment is.

Last edited:
Can We Really Go Wrong With Griffin at 28?

He's always been a serious option at #28 --but his value's now increased.

If you refer to Gosselin's latest mock, you'll see Griffin going at #22 to Dallas, and both Landry and Nelson going earlier. Logically speaking, Griffin now becomes a legitimate candidate for the Pats first pick at #24.

I've changed my #24 considerations, as several prospect values have increased/decreased.

#24:

1. Griffin
2. Staley
3. Harrell
4. Pos
5. Nelson

I don't care how funny you find my comment, I don't want Meriweather as my FS.

The comment was funny because you said he was to small to play FS. it wasn't about your not wanting him (for whatever reason), because that is your opinion. I just find your saying he's to small somewhat funny.

Last edited:

how isnt he big enough to play FS?

Ed Reed: 5"11 200
Mike Minter: 5"10 195
Erik Coleman: 5"10 200
Eugene Wilson: 5"10 195

is it height or is it weight? Plenty of good safeties are no more than 205

Plenty of good safeties are not 6'0

u add weight so dont count weight as an issue because he'll bulk up..as will Maroney..as did Brady and so many other players

Griffin is 5"11 3/4th .. 203 pounds

Meriweather is 5"11 and 195 punds..your saying he cant add weight? Your saying 8 pounds possibly less is that much of a difference in what a team would do because a better safety is X pounds lighter?

and i wonder the same thing about Texas..they have 3 guys who are top 5 rounders..2 of them are late first rounders..and yet their pass D STUNK! Why? I've heard answers like pass rush wasnt existent but w.e

Last edited:
how isnt he big enough to play FS?

Ed Reed: 5"11 200
Mike Minter: 5"10 195
Erik Coleman: 5"10 200
Eugene Wilson: 5"10 195

is it height or is it weight? Plenty of good safeties are no more than 205

Plenty of good safeties are not 6'0

u add weight so dont count weight as an issue because he'll bulk up..as will Maroney..as did Brady and so many other players

Griffin is 5"11 3/4th .. 203 pounds

Meriweather is 5"11 and 195 punds..your saying he cant add weight? Your saying 8 pounds possibly less is that much of a difference in what a team would do because a better safety is X pounds lighter?

and i wonder the same thing about Texas..they have 3 guys who are top 5 rounders..2 of them are late first rounders..and yet their pass D STUNK! Why? I've heard answers like pass rush wasnt existent but w.e

Plus if you look at the overall league wide list of FS's you'll find that not many of them are over 6'0". It's more common for SS's to be 6'+, but he said Meriweather was to small to play FS, which I found to be at least somewhat funny.

Going back to the Texas secondary, they had Ross, Griffin, and Brown but still ranked low because of a few reasons:

1. Ross isn't anything special, as a CB.
2. Brown was their best CB, missed some time after the drug charges, and didn't play as good after.
3. Griffin didn't play as good his senior year, which I think some people on here seem to forget.

All of their sizes are fine, they just make me nervous because they're not THAT much bigger than Wilson who lasted about 2 seasons at Safety. That's my problem, though, not an inherent problem. And Wilson is smaller than these guys, he's about 190.

Regardless, I would be happy with any of them but, again, as the draft analysis continues I'm getting a gut feeling Griffin is second off the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down