Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can we end the black head coach talk now?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by drew4008, Feb 10, 2006.

1. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The past 3 years at least one black coach has been signed. And now with Art Shell, whose clearly underqualified, can we end the b*tching about this, like just yesterday when somebody made a post saing no black guys are getting signed. Let the team decide.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Not defending anyone, but why is Art Shell underqualified?? He has previous experience and has been around the game a long time. Is he less qualified than Mangini or anyone else who has been hired this year?
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

What is this in reference to? As the black coach subject come up again this year? And who complained that no black guys are getting signed?
  4. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Just a few days ago, ilduce something or other was the user's name. I'm getting tired of it. Blame the white man I guess...
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Black HC candidates get their chance early. The Dungys, Edwards, Lovies, etc, have all been hired young and lots of white assistants never get their chance.

Whatever, whoever can win and whoever teams want to hire if fine with me. White, Black, pick your color.
  6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Statistically speaking, given the number of blacks playing and coaching there is a strange phenomenon where black humans are strongly UNDER represented in the NFL's head coaching fraternity. Posting and wondering about why this is, is on topic anytime in my book.

I think it's a residue of the old boy network combined with the fact that white coaches tend to have better educations than black coaches on the average and it's a cerebral position these days. As more blacks graduate from better colleges, a black prep-school, Ivy league Belichick equivalent will appear someday.
  7. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Shell went 54-38, before abruptly (and mistakenly according to Al Davis) fired, with the same franchise a little over a decade ago. So how does that make him underqualified? What, would rather hire the Louisville head coach or the 49ers OC? :confused:
  8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Given all the bozos hired in the NFL as HCs it's mystifing and dissapointing that Shell has waited this long for another gig.
  9. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I suggest that you address your comments to Il Duce in the football forum. He is more than capable of defending himself. The NFL is giving more chances to black HCs and QBs, but there remains room for improvement. Of course, that is a wider social problem than one for which the NFL can be blamed. As you know, and has been said by PWP in this thread, most HCs are white in a sport played predominantly by black people. The same is true of the sport's most glamorous and well paid position.

As for Belichick Fan's point that black people get chances at a younger age to be coaches, consider this:
    Romeo Crennel is at least 56. Lovie Smith and Marvin Lewis are both 47. Compare this to Eric Mangini (35), John Gruden (42), Scott Linehan (42) and Jim Mora (43, I think). Gary Kubiak is 44. Of the recently hired first time coaches, Rod Marinelli is the same age and possibly older than Crennel, as is Mike Nolan.

Of course, many of the white coaches like Mora and Marinelli had to wait 20 years for their chance to be a HC. However, so did the likes of Crennel.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006