PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Tommy Kelly And Armond Armstead Be The Solution To The Patriots Interior Pass Rus

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Can Tommy Kelly And Armond Armstead Be The Solution To The Patriots Interior Pass Rush?
By: Russ Goldman

Can the Patriots improve their interior pass rush? Please read my article as I talk about Defensive Tackles Tommy Kelly and Armond Armstead having a chance to be the solution to this problem....

Re: Can Tommy Kelly And Armond Armstead Be The Solution To The Patriots Interior Pass

I agree with Russ. The interior QB pressure has been the major issue.
I am not so sure it is just talent that is the problem. It may also have to
do with the schemes they use. But whatever the reason opposing QBs
have not had to be too concerned with a PATS Dline guy coming up
the middle.

Re: Can Tommy Kelly And Armond Armstead Be The Solution To The Patriots Interior Pass

Even if you believe that our lack of an outside rush has been somewhat overblown, the virtual lack of ANYTHING resembling a rushr from the inside as been both real and glaring the last several years. The Pats have not only had poor rushers as DT's, none of their LB's or S's have had much success rushing the Passer on blitz packages. The end results has been almost no pressure at all coming at the QB from the inside.

This reality makes the outside rushers' jobs even more difficult that they and already were and makes guys like Ninko and Jones's number look even better than they were, since they were getting so little help on the inside.

Now we don't know how good Kelly and Armstead might turn out to be, be odds are they can't be much worse. The caveat to all this is, of course, is whether Kelly and Armstead will be able to hold up against the run as well as Deadrich and Love. :eek:

Spikes and Mayo had plenty of success blitzing up the middle. It's just they were rarely given the opportunity to. Other than that, you're right, the interior pass rush has been a huge issue. Other than the AFCCG in 11 against the Ravens where Wilfork just dominated, I can't think of any game since Seymour where we could blow up the interior line.

I think Kelly and Armstead will be as pass rushers focused DTs as Love was a run stopping DT- solid role players that you can get by with as long as they are the worst player on the DL.

Even if you believe that our lack of an outside rush has been somewhat overblown, the virtual lack of ANYTHING resembling a rushr from the inside as been both real and glaring the last several years. The Pats have not only had poor rushers as DT's, none of their LB's or S's have had much success rushing the Passer on blitz packages. The end results has been almost no pressure at all coming at the QB from the inside.

This reality makes the outside rushers' jobs even more difficult that they and already were and makes guys like Ninko and Jones's number look even better than they were, since they were getting so little help on the inside.

Now we don't know how good Kelly and Armstead might turn out to be, be odds are they can't be much worse. The caveat to all this is, of course, is whether Kelly and Armstead will be able to hold up against the run as well as Deadrich and Love. :eek:

The premature loss of Mike Wright who was good at pressure up the middle really hurt.
I wish him the best of health.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back