PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Pats Pitch A Perfect Game (Like the Jets Did Last Night?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Revis plays by his own rules. Honestly, every CB in the league works under one set of rules, Revis is still working under the ones circa 2002.

Anytime they do a little spotlight on him and how he's "shutting down" the opposition, notice how he commits either illegal contact and/or pass interference on literally every single play.

Don't get me wrong, he's the best CB in the league. But with some help. He really did it on his own - he had a good rookie season and then told so many people he was the best CB every to walk the Earth that everyone, including the refs, bought into him being a superstar, someone worthy of superstar calls.

Last edited:
The Cowboys have had a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory over the past few years..Tony Romo is the modern day Drew Bledsoe only worse,He can look so good but when the game is on the line you know the big interception is coming and that pass to a hobbled Dez Bryant was pathetic.

The Cowboys could have really helped the Patriots last nite with a win.

But the Jets just made plays when they had to. And Dallas had no secondary.

Jets and perfect in the same sentence?

To be fair to the Jets, some sloppy play is expected in the first game of the season and even more so this season. I would expect much the same for the Pats tonight with some good and bad mixed. Winning of course hides much of the sloppy play and losing emphasis it.

What 's new? The jets always start slow and pull off some miracle. If the cowboys can put up that many points on the so called best defense n the league, then so could a bunch of teams. Baltimore is going to clock the jets in a few weeks.

Calling what the Jets did a "perfect game" because they weren't called for any penalties is like saying a pitcher pitched a perfect game because he didn't walk anyone. They didn't hurt themselves, but that game was not one to emulate.

No argument on the definition of a "perfect game," particularly with regard to baseball.

It was fascinating the referees under the watchful eye of the Commissioner on 9/11 in NYC couldn't find their flags against the NY Jets. There is little question that the lack of calls and the Jets success in not committing stupid alignment or motion penalties made a difference.

Nevertheless, the Jets are a marquee team now and this decision to let 'em play is something that one hopes is also bestowed on the Patriots, particularly with Peyton Manning gone and what looks like a changing of the guard.

if you think the jets posted a perfect game, i guess you watched a different game than i did. jets were pretty awful. very fortunate to win the game. yes, a win is a win, and good teams find ways to win. but perfect. not even close. id argue that they werent even good

if you think the jets posted a perfect game, i guess you watched a different game than i did. jets were pretty awful. very fortunate to win the game. yes, a win is a win, and good teams find ways to win. but perfect. not even close. id argue that they werent even good

Perfection is obviously in the eye of the beholder. The referees saw only perfection in the execution of the NY Jets.

Cameron Wake alone is good for drawing a couple of penalties a game. Whether he's getting guys to jump (he has the fastest get off in all of the NFL) or causing a hold, he typically draws multiple flags every week.

I think the really interesting dynamic here tonight is the cramps the heat and shortened off-season will cause. The Cowboys were dropping left and right last night, it'll be interesting to see how Haynesworth, Wilfork and some of the other Patriots big boys deal with the humidity.

If the coaches don't have a TE or RB helping block Wake...they should be shot..........even a chip while going out for a pass would suffice....

I'm just as interested in what kind of offensive gameplan has been put together as I am how Fat Albert and the DL looks....

Show no mercy.....

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Revis plays by his own rules. Honestly, every CB in the league works under one set of rules, Revis is still working under the ones circa 2002.

Anytime they do a little spotlight on him and how he's "shutting down" the opposition, notice how he commits either illegal contact and/or pass interference on literally every single play.

Don't get me wrong, he's the best CB in the league. But with some help. He really did it on his own - he had a good rookie season and then told so many people he was the best CB every to walk the Earth that everyone, including the refs, bought into him being a superstar, someone worthy of superstar calls.
I've always said that. If you watch his coverage on Romo's fumble, he was holding, grabbing, and just impeding Bryant in the endzone. Whatever though.

Cameron Wake alone is good for drawing a couple of penalties a game. Whether he's getting guys to jump (he has the fastest get off in all of the NFL) or causing a hold, he typically draws multiple flags every week.

I think the really interesting dynamic here tonight is the cramps the heat and shortened off-season will cause. The Cowboys were dropping left and right last night, it'll be interesting to see how Haynesworth, Wilfork and some of the other Patriots big boys deal with the humidity.

As the first game of the season the heat shouldn't be a big deal. It's not like the Patriots are accustomed to the cold yet.

I'll be watching to see Haynesworth, Wilfork, Ellis and Carter choosing to dab the sweat off their dainty brows with Chad Henne's and Reggie Bush's jerseys. I sure hope those four get some serious time as a unit on 3rd downs - accounting for just one of these guys is a must, but all four? If you match up to stop them, the speedy young LBs will have lanes to the QB and to the RBs. This foursome could be one of the greats if they stay healthy.

I think the heat will be on in the Dolphins backfield.

Perfection is obviously in the eye of the beholder. The referees saw only perfection in the execution of the NY Jets.

What exactly is the penalty for fumbling the ball, throwing a stupid INT, missing a blocking assignment, missing a tackle, etc.? The refs saw what we saw and it wasn't perfection. They didn't feel that the Jets' violated any of the rules in the rulebook or at least as to the way they choose to call things like holding and pass interference, but that doesn't mean that the refs felt the Jets played percission perfect football. They saw the same sloppiness and poor play throughout the game (at least at times) that we all saw.

So are you telling me if the o-line gives up six sacks on Brady, but do not have a single false start or holding penalty that you will commend them for having a perfect game? That's what you are basically saying?

Last edited:

You are not kidding. I could see him pushing and obstructing WR all the way from line of scrimmage to 20-25 yards. If our guys do it, they will be penalized with 10 HOLD calls on one play. This is so ridiculous. I just can't believe how that ahole gets away with it?

He is a good player but this is unbelievably worst behavior of the league.

What exactly is the penalty for fumbling the ball, throwing a stupid INT, missing a blocking assignment, missing a tackle, etc.? The refs saw what we saw and it wasn't perfection. They didn't feel that the Jets' violated any of the rules in the rulebook or at least as to the way they choose to call things like holding and pass interference, but that doesn't mean that the refs felt the Jets played percission perfect football. They saw the same sloppiness and poor play throughout the game (at least at times) that we all saw.

So are you telling me if the o-line gives up six sacks on Brady, but do not have a single false start or holding penalty that you will commend them for having a perfect game? That's what you are basically saying?

He doesn't grasp the difference between experiencing even summer heat in NE which hasn't been around all that much lately to begin with and dealing with oppressive humidity in So. Florida, so what do you expect...

I'm basically saying that Romo-the-Clown's fumble, interception and three-and-out before the blocked punt touchdown were all legal plays that could have been un-done by penalties but were not. Rex Ryan's well-oiled machine purred like a kitten while the Dallas Cowboys poured gasoline on themselves and self-immolated.

The Jets turned in the only penalty-free performance yesterday and came back from 14 down in the 4th quarter to beat America's Team on 9/11.

And I was saying I hope the Patriots are extended the same common courtesy by the officials tonite in Miami.

I'd like to see some more mental toughness from the team this year. That's truly been our biggest weakness since the beginning of the 2009 season, and simultaneously, it's been the Jets' biggest strength.

I think the last two Patriots teams have focused way too much on expectations--they play great in blowouts, but they start to lose confidence if a game is close. There's a sense of "we shouldn't be playing like this, we're the Patriots" when they're not having a great game, and they need to get over that and just focus on playing football.

I'm basically saying that Romo-the-Clown's fumble, interception and three-and-out before the blocked punt touchdown were all legal plays that could have been un-done by penalties but were not. Rex Ryan's well-oiled machine purred like a kitten while the Dallas Cowboys poured gasoline on themselves and self-immolated.

The Jets turned in the only penalty-free performance yesterday and came back from 14 down in the 4th quarter to beat America's Team on 9/11.

And I was saying I hope the Patriots are extended the same common courtesy by the officials tonite in Miami.

Well oiled machine?!? So Sanchez fumbled the ball or threw the INT by design? It was Ryan's master plan to let DeMarcus Ware dominate Wayne Hunter and sack Sanchez twice because he would get tired? Ryan played a rope a dope by getting down by two TDs a third of the way through the fourth because he knew that was the best position to win the game?

Your original premise was flawed and now you are just getting silly defending it. The Jets won because the Cowboys imploded, not because they played perfect football. In fact, Sanchez's fumble should have been the death nail in the Jets' coffin, but Romo needed to out bonehead Sanchez by throwing a perfect pass to Revis rather than just throwing the ball out of bounds.

I'd like to see some more mental toughness from the team this year. That's truly been our biggest weakness since the beginning of the 2009 season, and simultaneously, it's been the Jets' biggest strength.

I think the last two Patriots teams have focused way too much on expectations--they play great in blowouts, but they start to lose confidence if a game is close. There's a sense of "we shouldn't be playing like this, we're the Patriots" when they're not having a great game, and they need to get over that and just focus on playing football.

Or just blow everybody out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes