PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Pats afford Brady and Seymour??

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
I would like to think that Brady is the one player whose value is worth exceeding the structure. But obviously they did not.

How do we that obviously the Pats did not? Since Brady didn't demand to break the bank, we'll never know what the Pats would have done if he did. My guess is they would have paid but that is all it is - a guess.

MoLewisrocks said:
NOT EVEN CLOSE. We've sliced through the playoffs in 2004 with Jarvis Green (and an otherwise healthy defense albeit simultaneously minus a pro bowl corner). In relative level of importance to this team, Richard is a distant third at best behind Brady, Bruschi and Harrison. Tedy and Rodney aren't getting any younger and will need to replaced in two or three years. They may be replaced via the draft, or by players already in the system - but I doubt it. And even if they are, by then those players will be in a position to command substantial salaries if we hope to retain them through their peak years.

I think Tedy gets some ducats, demands or not, in his twilight years. Not exhorbitant dollars but enough to show that the Pats won't just take advantage of the guy who says he'll retire a Patriot. Green had a great 04 run, but he's not in Seymour's league as a full time starter. But for the next 10 years, you want Bruschi or Seymour? Bruschi's a three-year, maybe four-year issue. Tops. Not to take away anything from a guy that doesn't get slowed down by a stroke, and puts his money where his mouth is about team loyalty. But I don't think Sey can be evaluated vis a vis the voluntary choices of a Tedy Bruschi, and at this point, I do think Sey is the linchpin. By putting this in a 5-year perspective, it's not even an argument.

molewisrocks said:
This thread was based on the premise that we can afford to pay Richard a contract that averages a certain amount. Truth is we can afford to pay him more. The real question is do we want to. Does his open market value fit the salary structure this team appears determined to continue operating under. Because there will always be tradeoffs. In Richard's case the tradeoff may be disrupting that entire structure. Is his particular talent worth sacrificing that broadbased philosophy? Or does his talent value perception exceed the value we place on the position? BB tries to explain this to people on a fairly regular basis.

Yes we can afford to pay. No, that is not the sole determinant. But as valued as Seymour appears to be by others around the league, I'd argue once again that his known value is as a New England Patriot, and that it is high - as a New England Patriot. If anything, the unknown would be, say, plugging him into a 4-3. Does his deal wreck the model? No more than Brady's deal did. Pats of the future will ask, "Am I a McGinnest or a Seymour/Brady?" By the way, Brady's deal, as I understand it, was well into the elite tier in guaranteed money. He's not doing more with less compared with the majority of the league, just compared with Manning.

molewisrocks said:
I would like to think that Brady is the one player whose value is worth exceeding the structure. But obviously they did not. Luckily, neither did he. It's that simple.
Again, Brady didn't try to break the bank and top the most recent "most ever paid," but he did get elite salary. Hence the title question of this thread.

molewisrocks said:
They aren't going to overpay for talent simply because someone else on the open market will.
Agreed. You have to be that valuable to the Patriots. Again, c.f. Tom Brady.

molewisrocks said:
If you want to be a star and a leader on this particular team, you have to be willing to make sacrifices that may include your personal finances. It is what it is.
Last sentence is correct. Previous sentences...eh. You'll be paid what the Pats think you are worth in the NE context and setting. That may or may not exceed what you'll get elsewhere - often, it will be less. Givens is the perfect example. He was worth #2 money to us, and he wanted #1 money. Maybe more importantly, he wanted the #1 role. The fit was no longer right. I think with Seymour, the fit continues to be right unless the demands are beyond the neighborhood of the $8-8.5M average/annum figure. Others at the position are getting more, and Sey is considered the best at the position. At this point the Pats would be showing guaranteed money to offset "break-the-bank" totals over the life of the contract.

molewisrocks said:
Brady was the first big test, and the model passed. Richard is the next big test of whether or not he can. The answer will come when he is either re-signed in a manner that does not adversely impact the salary scheme or he is replaced in a manner that underscores how the scheme can adapt and move on.

Here too I think we agree. What differs is where you put the reasonableness of the Brady contract versus the proposed (here, not by BB/SP) Seymour numbers. As for "adversely impact[ing] the salary scheme," I disagree that the (ballpark) 8M average does that. We can do it without screwing the model in the future, unless your sole point is the motivational/instructional value of tossing out people with high cap costs. I say, make that point with a McGinnest. Thank your lucky stars nobody's forcing the issue with a Bruschi. And when it comes to a Seymour, he comes out on the payable/should-be-paid end of the spectrum.

Of course, you could have argued against Brady's contract by predicting we'd have a Seymour issue down the road. To address the point on the table now, Seymour is gambling he's toward the Brady end of the spectrum, and that he can negotiate bigger dollars than, say, McGinnest. I think he's right.

PFnV

dhamz said:
How do we that obviously the Pats did not? Since Brady didn't demand to break the bank, we'll never know what the Pats would have done if he did. My guess is they would have paid but that is all it is - a guess.

Bob Kraft told me so, on national television. ;) He said if Brady insisted on being the highest paid at his position, they would have a problem getting any deal done.

PatsFanInVa said:
I think Tedy gets some ducats, demands or not, in his twilight years. Not exhorbitant dollars but enough to show that the Pats won't just take advantage of the guy who says he'll retire a Patriot. Green had a great 04 run, but he's not in Seymour's league as a full time starter. But for the next 10 years, you want Bruschi or Seymour? Bruschi's a three-year, maybe four-year issue. Tops. Not to take away anything from a guy that doesn't get slowed down by a stroke, and puts his money where his mouth is about team loyalty. But I don't think Sey can be evaluated vis a vis the voluntary choices of a Tedy Bruschi, and at this point, I do think Sey is the linchpin. By putting this in a 5-year perspective, it's not even an argument.

I think you misunderstood my point. I don't think we keep Bruschi beyond 2-3 years, (and I hope we part amicably in retirement on his terms) and that is the point. He will have to be replaced. Maybe that's Vrabel, or maybe not, but then Vrabel would need a Vrabel or TJ to play alongside. Replacing what a Tedy brings to this team could be costly. And Vrabel isn't that far behind him in age. So could replacing Harrison. The scheme truly revolves around intelligent and intuative LB and Safety play.

Yes we can afford to pay. No, that is not the sole determinant. But as valued as Seymour appears to be by others around the league, I'd argue once again that his known value is as a New England Patriot, and that it is high - as a New England Patriot. If anything, the unknown would be, say, plugging him into a 4-3. Does his deal wreck the model? No more than Brady's deal did. Pats of the future will ask, "Am I a McGinnest or a Seymour/Brady?" By the way, Brady's deal, as I understand it, was well into the elite tier in guaranteed money. He's not doing more with less compared with the majority of the league, just compared with Manning.

Again I think you misunderstand. He is doing more with less weapons than most, and at less cost than at least 2-3 of his so-called peers. I have not seen Seymour do more with less on any front. He has been surrounded by some outstanding defensive players whether they get to national kudos or not. When some were lost, I didn't see Richard carry this defense on his back ala Brady and a decimated offense. When Richard missed 5 weeks at the end of 2004, we rolled through the playoffs to the Superbowl. Last season I didn't see him make a tremendous difference either way (after his TC holdout in a season that was already due to be difficult because of Tedy's stroke and TJ's sudden retirement). The D struggled early with him, struggled without him, and got better gradually after a he and Tedy returned and Hawkins and Hobbs emerged and the aliens returned Asante to a secondary finally devoid of Starks down the stretch against less than the iron of the league.

Again, Brady didn't try to break the bank and top the most recent "most ever paid," but he did get elite salary. Hence the title question of this thread.

And if Richard is satisfied with an elite salary that makes him one of the top 3-5 players at his position - even if compared to DE's rather than DT's, that will be wonderful. I'm just not holding my breath because that will be well under the $8-8.5M you seem to think is his reasonable market based on league wide perception of his prodigious talent. And the perception seems to matter to Richard. All Brady cared about was being paid a reasonable amount so he could continue winning championships. He settled for 10-20% less that already highest paid, depending on how you measure it. Richard reportedly wants to be the newly highest paid.

Agreed. You have to be that valuable to the Patriots. Again, c.f. Tom Brady.

Last sentence is correct. Previous sentences...eh. You'll be paid what the Pats think you are worth in the NE context and setting. That may or may not exceed what you'll get elsewhere - often, it will be less. Givens is the perfect example. He was worth #2 money to us, and he wanted #1 money. Maybe more importantly, he wanted the #1 role. The fit was no longer right. I think with Seymour, the fit continues to be right unless the demands are beyond the neighborhood of the $8-8.5M average/annum figure. Others at the position are getting more, and Sey is considered the best at the position. At this point the Pats would be showing guaranteed money to offset "break-the-bank" totals over the life of the contract.

$8M-8.5M AAV per is the current highwater mark for DL. Whether or not Richard is a better or more talented player than the current compensation record holder is immaterial. He's probably overpaid. Brady is better than Manning and Vick and Palmer yet his deal averages $2-4M less by AAV and all important bonus monies over the first 3-4 seasons. Brady's signing bonus was split for a variety of reasons, philosophical and CBA related. In Richard's case you could add to the rationale for splits some valid durability concerns Brady has thus far escaped (no thanks to his Oline). If you heavily frontload Richards contract just to expend cap sooner rather than later, you run the risk of paying a steep price for a player who could easily miss enough starts over the next 3 seasons to cost you a playoff spot - particularly if paying him precluded upgrading and/or retaining key personnel at crucial positions throughout the remainder of your defense.

Here too I think we agree. What differs is where you put the reasonableness of the Brady contract versus the proposed (here, not by BB/SP) Seymour numbers. As for "adversely impact[ing] the salary scheme," I disagree that the (ballpark) 8M average does that. We can do it without screwing the model in the future, unless your sole point is the motivational/instructional value of tossing out people with high cap costs. I say, make that point with a McGinnest. Thank your lucky stars nobody's forcing the issue with a Bruschi. And when it comes to a Seymour, he comes out on the payable/should-be-paid end of the spectrum.

I 'm not sure we know eactly what the model is, but it obviously includes a slotted range for every position and for each unit. I think the real reason Givens was gone was because they saw both he and Branch as #2's (albeit Branch an elite 2 bordering #1 and Givens a quality #2 bordering elite so to speak). Brady allows them the flexibility to field a less expensive WR corps, although at this point they may be abusing that flexibility. Seymour would logically set the top mark in his position but also within the unit and across the board on defense. What others expect in a year or two or three will be reflective of what Seymuor gets, or if he gets it. Does he allow you to substantially scrimp on the rest of the defense? I don't think so based on what I've seen with and without him and at full strength as well as descimated by injuries. And letting aging vets go rather than overpaying them for sentimental value has nothing to do with the equation. In some respects it just makes the model harder to maintain because guys in their prime see there is no compensation golden parachute down the road, so unless you value winning championships and accumulating jewelry paid for by the Kraft family...

Of course, you could have argued against Brady's contract by predicting we'd have a Seymour issue down the road. To address the point on the table now, Seymour is gambling he's toward the Brady end of the spectrum, and that he can negotiate bigger dollars than, say, McGinnest. I think he's right.

Actually many here did argue just that. Not because of the contract value - that was the plus because Brady obviously took a good deal less. But many argued approaching him early would just lead Richard and others to expect the same treatment. And maybe it did. But again, I think they had a pecking order and Richard was not at the top of it. Brady as a consistently durable HOF franchise QB entering his prime was. Richard is a potential HOF DE/DT/Whatever in his prime, but there are a few more of those on the market in any given year either in the draft of as FA who with some scheme adaption (which is BB's forte - adapting the scheme to suit available talent) could work in this system possibly about as well as 93. (And again, not talking Jarvis Green here.) QB's just don't transition from the college ranks or from team to team anywhere near as predictably or consistently. The NFL is littered with the rotting corpses of failed highly touted QB prospects. It's a position where very few excell, a few more exist for a time as journeyman or JAG backups, but most are out of football (at least in this country) before you know it. That's why a guy like Flutie was able to make a roster at 43. QB's who can remotely function let alone excell at the NFL level are in short supply, and without a very good to great one all the DE's on the planet aren't generally going to carry a team to a Superbowl, let alone win 3 out of 5.
PFnV

I just see more of a battle of wills and philosophies still brewing here than some do. I don't see it as a matter of what they can afford, but what they choose to afford. And I guess while I appreciate Richards talents and would prefer to retain him, I don't think it justifies making him the player for whom the model is scrapped. And I see that model as those at the top (in talent and leadership) are the ones who take a little less to fund that upper middle class that in turn trickles down to a better 45-53 than the rest of the leagues. But like all things here, that's JMHO.

PS - and if my screen name isn't a dead giveaway, no part of me questioned the decision to let Bledsoe go. :D

Mo, yes, the screen name is obvious. Sick, but great. :D

On to the assertion that "8M is the current high water mark..."

Here's Strahan getting 8M/annum including bonuses in 1999 (4 years, 32M, seven years of cap inflation ago, and my first Google hit on the subject....)

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstr...erence/Times Topics/People/S/Strahan, Michael

Abraham is getting almost 20M over the first two years, 25.5 in the first three of a six year deal totalling about 45M (okay, so that's 7.5M Avg. per annum.)

For Kearse:
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/03/04/Sports/Eagles_boost_D__add_K.shtml
20M in bonuses alone the first two years, 66M over 8 years, signed in 2004 (over 8M/annum avg.) He's thirty this year, by the way, and this deal takes him through age 36 or so.

Can't find Jason Taylor's details, with my primative methodology, but I understand it's big - do you have that one? He's 32 this year, by the way.

I apologize if any of these sources got their info wrong - I think this was discussed earlier in this thread or elsewhere though, and probably with better numbers.

The point here is, Seymour's deal being in the $8M AAV puts him in the elite, not over the top. The question you're raising seems to be "shouldn't we enforce a "Pats discount" policy, regardless of actual value to the team or competitve value on the market?" Seymour's pretty much said the team can't make him do that.

As you say, it could be a battle of wills. Seymour's definitely proven he's capable of engaging in those, (as have of course, BB/SP). To me, putting him the $8M AAV range is not outlandish, whereas insisting on that "Pats Discount" and putting him at $7M or below, in my opinion, doesn't get the deal done.

PFnV

When Brady signed his deal, Manning's deal was the best deal ever (and remains so) for a QB. Manning's deal averages $14 million per year. Brady's deal averages $9,550,000 per year in new money. I am not including prior signing bonus proration in Brady's numbers.

As far as I can tell, Abraham's deal is the best ever for a DL. It averages $7.5 million a year.

Surpassing $14 million APY with two years left on the current contract is a great deal different than surpassing $7.5 million APY with one year left. I am not sure how giving Seymour the best deal ever for a defensive linemen upsets the Patriots salary cap structure when Brady will still be the highest paid Patriot.

Just wanted to give these thoughts of Mo's a little separation:

[Brady] is doing more with less weapons than most, and at less cost than at least 2-3 of his so-called peers. I have not seen Seymour do more with less on any front. He has been surrounded by some outstanding defensive players whether they get to national kudos or not. When some were lost, I didn't see Richard carry this defense on his back ala Brady and a decimated offense. When Richard missed 5 weeks at the end of 2004, we rolled through the playoffs to the Superbowl. Last season I didn't see him make a tremendous difference either way (after his TC holdout in a season that was already due to be difficult because of Tedy's stroke and TJ's sudden retirement). The D struggled early with him, struggled without him, and got better gradually after a he and Tedy returned and Hawkins and Hobbs emerged and the aliens returned Asante to a secondary finally devoid of Starks down the stretch against less than the iron of the league.

Richard is a potential HOF DE/DT/Whatever in his prime, but there are a few more of those on the market in any given year either in the draft of as FA who with some scheme adaption (which is BB's forte - adapting the scheme to suit available talent) could work in this system possibly about as well as 93. .... QB's who can remotely function let alone excel at the NFL level are in short supply, and without a very good to great one all the DE's on the planet aren't generally going to carry a team to a Superbowl, let alone win 3 out of 5.

Strahan never saw the fourth and probably bloated dummy year of that contract because the Giants needed cap room so they extended him - rolling it over into a seven-year, $46 million contract ($6.6M AAV). The contract included a signing bonus of $6.4 million. He was reportedly guaranteed his 2003 and 2004 salaries of $9M. His three year take was to be $28.9M but it dropped his 2002 cap hit to $4.2M. This season Michael plays for $2M in salary. So his 4 year take would be $30.9M. Over the remaining 3 seasons if he continues to play he is scheduled to earn about $15M.

As for Abraham, I think they'd give Richard that overall deal. Not sure he'd take it as he is reported to want $18-20M in signing bonus alone.

Taylor signed a 6/$42M deal with a $9 signing bonus back in 2001. It was rumored the Dolphins might have to restructure it this season as he had an $11M cap figure. His current 2006 salary is $5.25M and this is the final year of that deal. And I believe he has been very durable.

The Freak's deal was just that, and included a couple of inflated dummy seasons he will never see at the end. Do you expect them to match or exceed a foolish deal that inflated the DE market as part of paying Richard his market value? BTW Kearse will play for $2M this the third season of that deal.

Brady didn't get Manning money. And he didn't just get a smidgeon less either. For openers he got $20M less up front, $13.5M less in the first 2, $8.5M less over the first three, $13.5M less over the first 4 and about $20M less over the 6 as opposed to 7 years Brady's deal encompassed. His AAV is $4M less per season. Vick got millions more in signing bonus over his first three seasons, and it would appear Palmer got as much in year 1 of his new deal (after two whole seasons) as brady got in his split signing/option bonus.

And Brady hasn't missed a start since the day old Mo cleared the lone impediment out of his career path.

PatsFanInVa said:
jczxohn1 said:
Now, we know the difference between Jarvis/Marquis and Seymour, from games last year. Don't get me wrong - I think both these guys can grow into something pretty special, but Seymour is THERE.

What do we know about the difference between, say, Hawk and Lawson? First off, this year, right out of the gate, and then secondarily, say, three years out? We have no clue.

Ya, we do. Hawk will be a full time starter, day 1, 3-4, 4-3, any team in the league. Lawson will be situational his first yr. 3 yrs out, they may level out. Our need is now.

We need to remember draft scouting, even at the meticulous BB/SP level, is an inexact science. This is not the case with evaluating a Seymour versus, say, a Green or a Hill. We know that for the time being, Seymour is the eight-foot-wingspan condor in hand. Green and Hill are relatively unknown. We can guess. We can hope. But at the end of the day, we'll be trading knowns for unknowns. Can the risk be justified?

Cassell's supposed to be pretty accurate... you tell me. I think Sey is close to the Brady level of play - somewhere between the level where you evaluate the gap between him and the unknown the way you would for a McGinnest or Colvin, and the way you would evaluate that gap for a Brady (leaning to the Brady end of the continuum.)PFnV

I'm a lot more confident in Cassell b/u Brady than any LB filling in currently on the roster, or for that matter anyone available at #21.

Last edited:
Miguel said:
When Brady signed his deal, Manning's deal was the best deal ever (and remains so) for a QB. Manning's deal averages $14 million per year. Brady's deal averages $9,550,000 per year in new money. I am not including prior signing bonus proration in Brady's numbers.

As far as I can tell, Abraham's deal is the best ever for a DL. It averages $7.5 million a year.

Surpassing $14 million APY with two years left on the current contract is a great deal different than surpassing $7.5 million APY with one year left. I am not sure how giving Seymour the best deal ever for a defensive linemen upsets the Patriots salary cap structure when Brady will still be the highest paid Patriot.

I don't think it upsets the salary cap structure so much as the internal salary structure. If Richard takes $7M+ vs. say $8M+ (or a $16M two tiered SB vs. an $18-20M untiered SB, what do the Warrens, and Wilforks and even the Watsons, and Grahams and Branch's and those who come along after them expect?

I think that Brady came first and got his earlier because he never demanded it. And he was more underpaid than Richard (who has been carping for more than half his rookie first round contract now) at every turn. BB values Tom's leadership and example on and off the field. Ditto Tedy and Rodney. I think he wishes Richard had a similar mindset. I wouldn't expect Richard to take as much less on a percentage basis as Brady did. Tommy after all is a once in a lifetime in more ways than one. But he could and should take a little less, or at least not demand more for the priviledge of playing here. I mean, isn't that part of the standard by which we judge our heros vs. our traitors? :D

Then I guess when we say that he'd be tendered at 9, we're tendering him measured against 5 bloated end-of-contract years for various DEs, and all this talk of 8-point-anything is me "reaching." I'm okay with that, and am still learning (especially on cap matters,) and acknowledge that.

So you're figuring, based on a "Pats do not ever set the new high water mark" theory, that 7.5M AAV is the top of the scale, it looks like. Miguel seems to think BB/SP could choose to go higher, and break that mold, based on value to the team (I'm personally in that camp too - but it's a matter of where the powers that be peg his value.) Of course, if you average 7.5 including similarly inflated out-years, you're not at the top of the pay scale anymore, given the Strahan case. You'd only know in retrospect, after a departure or restructuring, what Seymour actually collected.

Well, thanks. At least I'll have a grasp, once we see the numbers that get bandied around in August, what we're talking about. I still say in Seymour's case, you do what it takes (barring anything ludicrous.) Revising my earlier wrongheadedness on what's being paid out there... I'd go 8.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Miguel seems to think BB/SP could choose to go higher, and break that mold, based on value to the team (I'm personally in that camp too - but it's a matter of where the powers that be peg his value.)

Yes, I do think that BB/SP could go higher. As for how the deal would affect the other players, BB takes it one game at a time. I expect him and Pioli to take one contract at a time. After all, Watson and Wilfork are signed through the 2009 seasons. Does anyone here think that the Pats are going to extend their contracts now?? In 2007?? In 2008?? Warren is signed through the 2008 season. Does anyone here think that the Pats are going to extend his contract now?? In 2007?? Wilson is signed through 2007 season. Does anyone here think that the Pats are going to extend his contract in 2006? IMO, Samuel, Koppen, Branch and Graham can not make the case that they are the best at their position.

I happen to think a single tier signing bonus is the best way to use up the $16 million in cap space. But in the end the structure of the deal does not really matter since I do not expect the structure to be a deal-breaker.

MoLewisrocks said:
NOT EVEN CLOSE. We've sliced through the playoffs in 2004 with Jarvis Green (and an otherwise healthy defense albeit simultaneously minus a pro bowl corner). In relative level of importance to this team, Richard is a distant third at best behind Brady, Bruschi and Harrison. Tedy and Rodney aren't getting any younger and will need to replaced in two or three years. They may be replaced via the draft, or by players already in the system - but I doubt it. And even if they are, by then those players will be in a position to command substantial salaries if we hope to retain them through their peak years.

The beauty of Brady is two fold (at least). He can do more with less (which I did not see Richard accomplish at any point in the 2005 season) and he's willing to do it for less (which Richard says he will not). Both Bruschi and Harrison have also done more with less and for less. Their replacements cannot just be expected to provide that kind of value, although we can hope...

This thread was based on the premise that we can afford to pay Richard a contract that averages a certain amount. Truth is we can afford to pay him more. The real question is do we want to. Does his open market value fit the salary structure this team appears determined to continue operating under. Because there will always be tradeoffs. In Richard's case the tradeoff may be disrupting that entire structure. Is his particular talent worth sacrificing that broadbased philosophy? Or does his talent value perception exceed the value we place on the position? BB tries to explain this to people on a fairly regular basis.

I would like to think that Brady is the one player whose value is worth exceeding the structure. But obviously they did not. Luckily, neither did he. It's that simple. They aren't going to overpay for talent simply because someone else on the open market will. If you want to be a star and a leader on this particular team, you have to be willing to make sacrifices that may include your personal finances. It is what it is.

While BB admires sheer talent, he understands it is only as valuable to him as the remainder of the roster he is able to fashion around it. And under a hard cap spreading the value and the risk is the best model for long term success. Players with average or slightly above average talent, quality depth, and a handful of durable and reliable impact players who took a little less to allow for the rest. That's as much a part of his scheme as the X's and O's, and the part many of his staunchest critics have long held he cannot maintain indefinitely. Brady was the first big test, and the model passed. Richard is the next big test of whether or not he can. The answer will come when he is either re-signed in a manner that does not adversely impact the salary scheme or he is replaced in a manner that underscores how the scheme can adapt and move on.
I think this is worth another read.

As to the specific assertion that Miguel makes to start this thread, there is little doubt that the Patriots COULD make any player the top paid player at his position. Miguel certainly makes that irrefutably clear in cold numbers. They can even certainly pay several players a top league contract IF they wanted to follow that model.

Last edited:
Update

bradyandseymour2.gif

This deal leaves the Pats 16.9 million this year to spend on the draft picks (2.75M), players 52,53 and a 8-man practice squad (1.14M), have an injury replacement reserve (1.25M)and other free agents. Is 16.9 million enough?? It is more than enough.

This deal would leave the Pats with 37.3 million to spend in 2007
http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html
on 21 players (most of them would be from the 2006 and 2007 draft classes), 8-man practice, and have an injury replacement reserve . Is 36.6 million enough??IMO, it is more than enough.

If i read AdamJT's post and Miguel's annotation correctly ... the club is paying
about 30 millions of new money over the 3 extended years ...
with this year the same as under the pre-existing contract.

Is that the right way to read them?

flutie2phelan said:
If i read AdamJT's post and Miguel's annotation correctly ... the club is paying
about 30 millions of new money over the 3 extended years ...
with this year the same as under the pre-existing contract.

Is that the right way to read them?

Yes. At least that's the way I read it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back