PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Patriots win the Super Bowl without Deion Branch this season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Can the Patriots win a Super Bowl this season without Branch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep comparing our wide receivers against our 2001-2002 team.

That team had a lot of luck along the way.

Instead, compare the receivers against our two powerhouse Superbowl teams

(Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown).

My question is when are we going to do something about the problem?

It's no longer April. Are we going to make a trade for a receiver or take

one off the waiver wire? There are twenty teams choosing before us.

Jimke said:
We keep comparing our wide receivers against our 2001-2002 team.

That team had a lot of luck along the way.

Instead, compare the receivers against our two powerhouse Superbowl teams

(Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown).

My question is when are we going to do something about the problem?

It's no longer April. Are we going to make a trade for a receiver or take

one off the waiver wire? There are twenty teams choosing before us.

Aren't there OTHER positions on an offense?

How 'bout comparing our OL, TE's and RB's to those years while you're focusing only on WR? I'll take this entire O unit right now versus 2003 and 2004's.

The Offense is made up of a few different parts to make the whole. Quit the stargazing.

I couldn't vote in either category. While I don't think it's an absolute "no" I don't think it's an absolute "yes" either. If we lose Branch and don't replace his production with someone else, either in-house (hurry up & get better Chad Jackson) or in an acquisition from somewhere else, (Jerry Porter? But why would Deion go to Oakland if he wants to be a #1 when they already have Moss, & no QB to speak of) we won't win the Superbowl. It's too early to tell - we have to see how things shake out.

Oh sure -- I mean, it's not like we're losing Lawyer Milloy ...

The question's not whether, but how?

BB's own philosophy is to do everything you can to put the team in the best position possible to win. He doesn't believe you should try to do it with a doomed bunch of no-talent hacks. That said, I don't think that's what we've got at WR.

As for proclaiming the still-injured Chad Jackson, or for that matter Willie Andrews, as the messiah of the pass attack, that's equally weak -- those guys are completely unproven. However, we're looking at replacing #2 receiver numbers (both Givens and Branch). The Pats use a bunch of guys who are sort of a threat, not one guy like a TO or a Randy Moss or a Chad Johnson. I mean if we get one, fine, but that's not what Deion is. One of the strengths of our game is you can't just key on Deion and have it all covered... that's what allows a guy like him, who admits he can't beat double teams, to get open -- you need to cover everybody

Be that as it may, the cupboard's pretty bare, and yes, it would be easier to win this thing if, say, Dallas suddenly ponied up Patrick Crayton and a third for him... or whatever. The other side of the coin? For some reason BB/SP don't seem to be shaking in their boots about it.

I think what it comes down to is you want the best unit in the game at every position. Well, for the Pats, receiver won't ever be one of those positions. Balance dictates that, realizing Tommy will get the ball to merely serviceable receivers, you don't pour all your resources in to receiver. It gets short shrift. Now Deion wants to scoot? I don't know how, or who, or whether it'll be 1 guy... but he will be replaced.

Look for insane time of possession and some innovative sets (3 and 4 tight ends, etc.) this year. And look for yardage at or over 3500 yards and 24 TDs for Brady -- as usual. Then you can sort out the numbers at the end of the year and figure out who caught those balls and got the TDs.

PFnV

Last edited:
PatsFanInVa said:

BB's own philosophy is to do everything you can to put the team in the best position possible to win. He doesn't believe you should try to do it with a doomed bunch of no-talent hacks. That said, I don't think that's what we've got at WR.

As for proclaiming the still-injured Chad Jackson, or for that matter Willie Andrews, as the messiah of the pass attack, that's equally weak -- those guys are completely unproven. However, we're looking at replacing #2 receiver numbers (both Givens and Branch). The Pats use a bunch of guys who are sort of a threat, not one guy like a TO or a Randy Moss or a Chad Johnson. I mean if we get one, fine, but that's not what Deion is. One of the strengths of our game is you can't just key on Deion and have it all covered... that's what allows a guy like him, who admits he can't beat double teams, to get open -- you need to cover everybody

Be that as it may, the cupboard's pretty bare, and yes, it would be easier to win this thing if, say, Dallas suddenly ponied up Patrick Crayton and a third for him... or whatever. The other side of the coin? For some reason BB/SP don't seem to be shaking in their boots about it.

I think what it comes down to is you want the best unit in the game at every position. Well, for the Pats, receiver won't ever be one of those positions. Balance dictates that, realizing Tommy will get the ball to merely serviceable receivers, you don't pour all your resources in to receiver. It gets short shrift. Now Deion wants to scoot? I don't know how, or who, or whether it'll be 1 guy... but he will be replaced.

Look for insane time of possession and some innovative sets (3 and 4 tight ends, etc.) this year. And look for yardage at or over 3500 yards and 24 TDs for Brady -- as usual. Then you can sort out the numbers at the end of the year and figure out who caught those balls and got the TDs.

PFnV
C'mon cheerleader, we won't know what we truly have in the cupboard until mid-season at the earliest. Grumbling about our WR corps now is premature. My teasing about Andrews was just that, but we have a short, fast, quick kid who might catch 15 or so ball this season, who knows - I don't.

If we go 3 wide, that's still 2 WR and 2 TE, plus a RB assuming Watson is in the slot. That still puts pressure on the defense - Watson's speed down the seam, Caldwell's speed outside, Troy or Bam working the middle with Graham and Faulk spreading the LBs underneath - not too shabby. 4 wide still includes Watson, or Thomas, or Mills or two of the three. 5 wide with Reche and Bam doing sideline flys, Troy, Watson, and Faulk working the middle and underneath - the key isn't the WRs so much as it is the OL, can Light and O'Callaghan hold the edge? Enquiring minds want to know.

Fine. Just don't call me cheerleader unless that squad works on the 24/7 "buddy system."

PatsFanInVa said:
Fine. Just don't call me cheerleader unless that squad works on the 24/7 "buddy system."
I'm sure you'd be the center of attention in a skirt. :D

PonyExpress said:
Why don't you post a picture of yourself on the cheerleader thread. I'm sure it would make the rest of us puke, but at least you'd be in the right company. Hey, sis boom ba, we don't need Branch!!! I guess you missed SBs 38 and 39. He really sucks, doesn't he? Jeez.

Tom Brady threw for 5 TD's in those two games. Branch caught one of them. Givens and Vrabel each had 2. Actually he threw a 6th to Fauria but he got robbed when BB didn't challenge a bad call on that reception running it in on the next play instead.

Did he rack up some yards and receptions? Absolutely, that's what got him the MVP nod in the one he didn't even score a TD in. Was his role irreplaceable? NFW. Moreso than those who claim any decent PK could have kicked most of the FG's Adam made in those 2 games, any decent WR could have racked up receptions with Tommy throwing the ball. Branch didn't get them there, he just had the good fortune to be healthy late in 2004 after Brady and Givens carried the load without him for most of that season.

It would be easier to win with him, but they can and have won in the regular and post season without him, and with far fewer viable alternative weapons than they appear to possess heading into this season.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'm sure you'd be the center of attention in a skirt. :D

Yeah well if it's me and a buncha cheerleaders, I'm up for claiming I'm scottish and it's a kilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
PatsFanInVa said:
Yeah well if it's me and a buncha cheerleaders, I'm up for claiming I'm scottish and it's a kilt.
Ach laddie, that's the spirit. Semper Priapism as they say in the Gaelic.

Last edited:
PatsFanInVa said:

BB's own philosophy is to do everything you can to put the team in the best position possible to win. He doesn't believe you should try to do it with a doomed bunch of no-talent hacks. PFnV

Wanna bet? Walking off the field in 2001 he said to Ernie Adams "Can you believe we won with this team???!!!"

Talent is always admirable, but it is only as valuable to him as it's ability to play within the system and get or stay on the field. Part of the system is being self motivated and caring passionately about football and winning. If you don't fit that dynamic the value of your talent even within the system is moot to him. If Deion won't play for what this system believes is his value in the system, then he is not really a Patriots kind of player regardless of talent. He will be replaced eventually by one or more guys who may be less physically gifted but who care more about doing whatever it takes to win.

MoLewisrocks said:
Wanna bet? Walking off the field in 2001 he said to Ernie Adams "Can you believe we won with this team???!!!"

Talent is always admirable, but it is only as valuable to him as it's ability to play within the system and get or stay on the field. Part of the system is being self motivated and caring passionately about football and winning. If you don't fit that dynamic the value of your talent even within the system is moot to him. If Deion won't play for what this system believes is his value in the system, then he is not really a Patriots kind of player regardless of talent. He will be replaced eventually by one or more guys who may be less physically gifted but who care more about doing whatever it takes to win.
I think you may have touched on something...and also, if one thinks that the Patriots will NOT make any more moves....it's not even the end of the preseason...Branch if gone will be replaced..that simple.

Sure we can win without Branch. Still, we also know that winning would be easier with one starting quality receiver on the team.

pats1 said:
The active roster at WR for XXXVI was Brown, Patten, Johnson, Coleman, and Farris.

Glenn was suspended.

Torrance Small, Bert Emanuel, and Curtis Jackson lasted 2 games each.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2003, our running game was so-so, and we threw to our RB's and TE's (that was the year we had Fauria and Graham and Larry Centers).

This was our 2003 WR production:

Deion Branch 57 803 14.1 66 3 0 0
David Givens 34 510 15.0 57 6 0 0
Troy Brown 40 472 11.8 82 4 0 0

Brown had his usual 40 catches, Branch only had 57, and Givens had only 34. Bethel had 16 catches that year.

With a superior running game, playaction to TE who provide mismatches, and Tom Brady at the helm, categorically I say yes. All we need is for our WR to produce 2003 numbers.

Mo, I think you just said pretty much the same thing I did (except about how they have to be "patriots types of players," that part I skipped.)

Eh, either way, I think we can go with him, or we can go without him. At some point ya gotta say "Yo Deion. You want a ring or what?"

:cool2:

PFnV

Emphatically yes!

They won the SB in 2001 without Deion Branch, and this year's team is far more talented than that one.

Guys, we need atleast one freaking receiver.

Once teams gameplan against Watson, what next?

pats1 said:
I voted 'No' just because I feel this is a stupid poll.

Spot on! No offense, I know Patriots Nation is excited right now, but any poll with the words "Super Bowl" in it is premature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back