PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Patriots win the Super Bowl without Deion Branch this season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Can the Patriots win a Super Bowl this season without Branch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Gut check time folks... based on what we have on the roster right now on offense... a great looking running game, plenty of TEs and RBs to catch passes, along with a handful of what I view as #3 WRs - and not much depth there to speak of either...

... but do you feel that the Patriots still have what it takes to win the Super Bowl?

Ironically, while I've been pretty consistent about the need for WR depth, even with the expectation that Branch would be playing, even before the draft when very few wanted to waste a high pick on a WR, based on what I've seen in the preseason I absolutely DO believe this offense will be productive enough to return to the SB and win it

No doubt I'd like to see the team give Brady the best contingent of targets possible, but I figure if they could do it in 2001 with Brown and Patten, the offense we have can do at least that well as of right now

Last edited:
Of course they can. It will all depend on injuries of course, but with everyone healthy, they have a great chance. I think the only absolute necessities on this team is Bruschi, Brady(duh), Seymour, and Harrison. If we lost one of those players for the playoffs, I would seriously doubt our chances. Just my personal opinion.

Troy Brown, David Patten, Fred Coleman, Charles Johnson and somebody else whose name escapes me was the unit that won SB36 with a QB one year removed from being a 6th Round draft pick.

(Oh yeah, and our RB unit was Antowain Smith, Kevin Faulk and JR Redmond)

(Did I mention that our TE unit was J. Wiggins and Rod Rutledge?????)

Yeah. We're doooooooomed.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
Troy Brown, David Patten, Fred Coleman, Charles Johnson and somebody else whose name escapes me was the unit that won SB36 with a QB one year removed from being a 6th Round draft pick.

Yeah. We're doooooooomed.

The active roster at WR for XXXVI was Brown, Patten, Johnson, Coleman, and Farris.

Glenn was suspended.

Torrance Small, Bert Emanuel, and Curtis Jackson lasted 2 games each.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
The active roster at WR for XXXVI was Brown, Patten, Johnson, Coleman, and Farris.

Glenn was suspended.

Torrance Small, Bert Emanuel, and Curtis Jackson lasted 2 games each.

And folks are worried about our WR unit this year?

shmessy said:

Not to mention Wiggins, Rutledge, and Arther Love at TE.

I voted 'No' just because I feel this is a stupid poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have said it before and I will say it again. Branch is a good reciever but he is not a great reciver, at least we haven't seen it. Don't get me wrong, I've seen what he has done in the superbowl, but I'm talking about being a threat on a consistant basis. He tends to fade out in games and doesn't make an impact like a Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith. In fact, these guys are getting double teamed on a regular basis and they still make an impact and rack up yards in games. Granted, Randy Moss has had trouble staying on the field and didn't have his best year with the Raiders, however, Moss is still regarded as one of the most dangerous recievers in the NFL. While I think Branch is good, teams don't seem to pay that much attention to him therefore leaving him one on one most of the time. Teams know that Brady likes to get the whole team involved so it's pointless to double anybody on the Pats. I love what the Pats are doing and giving Branch a "ultimatum". Hey, if Branch thinks he is worth more, the Pats are telling him "Prove it". Branch will realize his value, fire his agent and re-sign with the Pats.

Last edited:
Yes, we have a secret weapon named Andrews who will morph into the "new" and improved Deion Branch.

Yes...to think otherwise means you are not a Pats fan. We won three Superbowls when outsiders (non Pats fans) had all kids of excuses why we wouldn't.

Good God yes! We have plenty of other weapons on offense: Watson and Graham, Dillon, Maroney and Faulk, and probably will also get contributions from Thomas and Mills. Also I still feel that one very talented young wide receiver named Jackson will prove valuable by the second half of the season. And we still have a man named Brady and the best defensive mind in the game coaching a talented young defense.

Hey, we're fans. I bet a lot of us would say BB would find a way to win with Cassell if he had to. Sure we can win without Branch, but it will also be easier to lose.

rabthepat said:
Yes...to think otherwise means you are not a Pats fan. We won three Superbowls when outsiders (non Pats fans) had all kids of excuses why we wouldn't.
Why don't you post a picture of yourself on the cheerleader thread. I'm sure it would make the rest of us puke, but at least you'd be in the right company. Hey, sis boom ba, we don't need Branch!!! I guess you missed SBs 38 and 39. He really sucks, doesn't he? Jeez.

shmessy said:
Troy was a top-10 WR that year. Maybe 10 out of 10, but still worlds better than any WR the Pats have playing now. Of course the RBs and TEs are much better now. As is the QB.

Anyway, I say the Pats can win the SB without Branch. No doubt.

Ask me again a few weeks into the season

With Troy, Bam and Andrews all going 3 ways and
Vrabel catching TDs all the other teams are shaking in their boots now.

jaychamp said:
Of course they can. It will all depend on injuries of course, but with everyone healthy, they have a great chance. I think the only absolute necessities on this team is Bruschi, Brady(duh), Seymour, and Harrison. If we lost one of those players for the playoffs, I would seriously doubt our chances. Just my personal opinion.

Absolutely. Think of how much less effective the defence was last year when all three of those were missing. It was scary at times. Receivers are more replaceable.

If that we will arrive, I am sure.

absolutely, no doubt

the Pats will be Super Bowl contenders with or without Deion Branch @ WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes