PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the League Force Salary Cap Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The thinking seems to be no, that the league can't force a team to cut a player. The league's options seem to be to fine the team and/or strip it of it's draft choices. Given that some teams won't have room to sign draft choices, and that this year's draftees will probably hold out in large numbers, why wouldn't a team like Washington or Indy say "screw the cap, we'll remain over."

dryheat44 said:
The thinking seems to be no, that the league can't force a team to cut a player. The league's options seem to be to fine the team and/or strip it of it's draft choices. Given that some teams won't have room to sign draft choices, and that this year's draftees will probably hold out in large numbers, why wouldn't a team like Washington or Indy say "screw the cap, we'll remain over."
I thought the procedure was that the league would nullify contracts that put the team over, starting with the last contract signed, and working backwards until the team was under the cap.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
I thought the procedure was that the league would nullify contracts that put the team over, starting with the last contract signed, and working backwards until the team was under the cap.

If so, I haven't read about it yet. And it's not for a lack of looking. The league can void any new contract going forward, but as far as I know, they can't void an existing contract.

spacecrime said:

I understand it as basically the same except that the league starts with the lowest contracts and nullifies them until such time as the team is under the cap.

In addition the team is subject to fines as high as $1M per infraction.

dryheat44 said:
If so, I haven't read about it yet. And it's not for a lack of looking. The league can void any new contract going forward, but as far as I know, they can't void an existing contract.
I heard this way back a few years ago on ESPN or FOX. At the time teh Raiders were about $30 mil over the cap and not doing much to get under it.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I understand it as basically the same except that the league starts with the lowest contracts and nullifies them until such time as the team is under the cap.

In addition the team is subject to fines as high as $1M per infraction.
Do you have any site references that give this info ??

arrellbee said:
Do you have any site references that give this info ??

Unfortunately I don't. I do recall it as Spacecrime does ..... when the Raiders were so far over 2/3 years ago.

My memmory might be a bit foggy, but when Dever was over the cap they didn't have any contracts voided by the league, did they? I thought they were only penalized in the drafts.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
My memmory might be a bit foggy, but when Dever was over the cap they didn't have any contracts voided by the league, did they? I thought they were only penalized in the drafts.

The difference here is that Denver was penalized not for being over the cap but for getting caught circumventing it, by "cooking the books" by paying players "under the table" so to speak.

That's right. If I remember it was something like 5 years after the fact as well. They lost the third round pick in '05 for Cap violations in like '96-98 I think.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
That's right. If I remember it was something like 5 years after the fact as well. They lost the third round pick in '05 for Cap violations in like '96-98 I think.

Not to mention they had those SB wins tainted forever because they cheated in order to win them.

The slap on the wrist the NFL handed out to them was a total embarrasment.

I believe that the league can void any contracts signed after the official end of the season, Which was the end of the SuperBowl, to get a team under the cap.

So, the league could void the contracts of Brock, Brackett and Wayne to get the Colts under the salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back