PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the cap space bring another championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats gopher

Rookie
Reaction score
Sorry for the length of this post but it’s a thought I had as I was driving back from driving my kids to school…

So I’m listening to the Pats getting bashed for letting go of “the kickerâ€, “the receiver†“the LB†all key contributors to our past Super Bowl wins by the media and other boards.

Pats are arrogant, cheap…. Whatever :rolleyes:

I saw this posted on another thread and agree that we have a “system†for paying certain positions and players, it’s our business plan so to speak. It got us 3 SB’s in 5 years so what would be the point in straying from “the plan.â€

As a fan, I’m sad to see some of my favorite players leave but hey if they can get a bigger paycheck elsewhere, go for it BUT this is the other part of the business plan…

We bring in hungry veterans, guys that have been around for awhile and would love to finish their career with the ring they’ve dreamed of since they were kids.

Doesn’t it make sense that once these guys have 3 rings on their fingers they lose their hunger for “the ring†and now hunger for a big pay check?

Okay, so we bring in guys like Brian Cox, and Rodney and now Seau and they bring needed enthusiasm onto the team….

now what do you do for the remaining Patriots, the ones like Bruschi, Seymour and Brady who also have their rings? What could we do to add additional fuel to the fire?

How about taking that Cap money and spending it as Super Bowl bonus money?

Kraft pays them for every level they climb into the playoffs towards another SB win. To be fair, money would be distributed as a percentage of their current salary so a practice squad guy doesn’t get the same bonus as a player that spends more time on the field.

Additional bonus money + new blood enthusiasm = another ring!

Can you just see all those people calling this the end of the dynasty scratching their heads as our guys raise The Lombardi again?

The roster is set even with those defections. We are trying to get younger and still make a run at it. I believe that we can absolutely win it all this year with what we have. The youth has been groomed for years. Might as well see what we have.

Where the cap can make a difference is if players are hurt or weak positions are exposed during the season and Pioli wants to bring in a player. Last year that was impossible.

This year they have the ammunition to compete if a rash of injuries hits one position on the team.

The team wants to spend its money in an accountable, predictable way, Unpredictable bonuses = bad idea.

Besides, I don't see the Patriots putting up with guys who need extra incentive to win the Superbowl.

The CAP space has been brought up before but until the year is out
no one can say how it will be spent ....if it will be.

I have posted my opinon on this before. I am one that does not
believe the PATs will come close to spending to the CAP this year.
I also believe this was the plan way back in April. I believe there
will be at least 5M NOT spent and it's begining to look like it will be
a lot more.
It's Bob Krafts money and he can do with it as he pleases including
holding on to it.

Last edited:
TomBrady'sGoat said:
The team wants to spend its money in an accountable, predictable way, Unpredictable bonuses = bad idea.

Besides, I don't see the Patriots putting up with guys who need extra incentive to win the Superbowl.

I don't know, when situations arise like the branch trade you hear the "it's a business" mantra from all sides. In business we offer incentives of all kinds to motivate employees. Bragging rights can only go so far.

I don't know... yeah it's Kraft's money as JR4 says and he can spend it as he sees fit but I think the guys that DO give the hometown discount to stay with the team would like to see the money spent to build the best team around them.

That being said, in Beioli I trust :) Just wondering if that cap money, or at least part of it, can be spent and not effect the coming years.

Last edited:
Pats look ahead, other teams don't.

With our emphasis on the draft, contract situations will come up yearly.

We use today's money to pay ahead on Sey and Brady so we have money tro pay for future salaries.

All the nervous Nellies want us to get into big FA contracts at the first hint of trouble.

All the successful franchises build through the draft and cut players who demand more than they're worth.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are examples of these.

Teams that panic and sign long term contracts with big name players at the first sign of trouble are too numerous to mention. They are called also rans.

The Colts draft well, but they are like a "B" movie. A few stars and a lot of extras.

This villianous cap space is nothing more than anti-NE fans and media to create controversy. From everything I have read, NE is about $11mm under now with the trade of Branch. Now, consider the following:

1) Seymour is owed a $6.6mm bonus that is payable over the next 6 months. NE could pay it now, or wait intil the end of the year. Now that both Branch and Law have not been signed, it is likely to be paid this year.

2) There needs to be some space open in case of players going on IR. People forget this, but IR guys still count on the cap. You need to have some space available to sing replacement players. Othewise, you need to waive an additional, higher paid, player to free up enough space for two minimum contracts.

3) Unless the new CBA prohibits this practice, NE can just rework some contracts by adding in Likely-To-Be-Earned (LTBE) incentives that really aren't likely. They count as a hit this year, but if not reached are credited to the following year.

4) As everyone has noted, extensions can be reached with current players using this year's space.

Yes, they were expecting to use the cap on at least one of Law and Branch and it didn't work out. But this whole "NE is cheap because they haven't spent to the cap" garbage needs to stop.

Pioli has said he views cap space as an asset and I've always interpreted this to mean money for a rainy day. You never know when it will rain. Teams with assets can put a roof over their heads.

Unless the cap space can strap on some pads and do some business, I don't see it helping at all.

The Pats still have four starters (Koppen, Graham, Samuel, TBC) on the last year of their rookie contract, and they could all easily be described as underpaid. I'm sure they'd like to use some of that money to lock those guys up before they become FA's after the season. And I think they should start working on those contracts right away, rewarding them for their play as well as for reporting to camp and doing their jobs and for not doing what Branch did.

PatsFan37 said:
Pioli has said he views cap space as an asset and I've always interpreted this to mean money for a rainy day. You never know when it will rain. Teams with assets can put a roof over their heads.

Bingo-You and The Pats got Bingo.

What is the over/under on how many "spend the cap" posts this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes