PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Bills topple the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T.O will forever be remembered as a problem in the locker room but believe it or not the players in Buffalo think he is the leadership needed to make it to the playoffs.

T.O. has a one year deal and his main value is to take coverage off Evans and fill a need till James hardy is ready to start.

Exactly. Most of his temmates love TO. And in his first year with a team, he normally has career years.

I just hope we don't fall for the trap and actually think it is a good idea to sign him long term. History shows how terrible of an idea that is. Plus, though he's a freak and still top 10 receiver, he's getting old.

Hopefully, Hardy and the super sleeper, Steve Johnson, are ready to step up next season and Edwards has a ton of confidence.

i just don't want Jauron to get fired. i don't want the chance of Shanahan coaching them. So I hope the Bills perform decently enough to warrant another year of tenure for the incumbent coach

Last year the Bills had a very good shot at ending their losing streak to the Patriots but the schedule did not work in their favor. Buffalo averaged 27 points a game in September while the Pats' offense was held to under twenty points in four of their first five games. Unfortunately for the Bills the two did not meet until week 10; at that point the Pats offensive line was getting healthier and Matt Cassel was better adjusted to the speed of an NFL game. Neither game was a blow out in 2008; the Pats scored only 33 points combined in those two games. I think if the Pats had played the Bills rather than the Dolphins in week three Buffalo would have won; the Pats were flat after the win over the Jets in Cassel's first start.

At some point the streak, up to eleven straight now, will come to an end. The Pats will surely be favored in both games, but upsets happen every week in the NFL. The Bills have an excellent group of receivers with Owens, Evans and Reed, so if the revamped offensive line can give Edwards time to throw the ball - remember, the Pats' pass rush wasn't that impressive last year - then Buffalo could very well pull off the upset. Not that I expect that to happen, but it's certainly feasible.

It's just funny because I remember growing up as a kid (I'm 28) and just feeling so sorry for the Pats because how bad they were. I did remember occasionally the Super Bowl Bills would trip against a struggling Pats team.

These Bills haven't been as bad as those Pats, but you guys jsut own us. For some reason, we are fine against every other team in the division & those teams can once in a while beat you, but we jsut can't. I was in Boston for the first Pats-Bills game and walking around in my Bills jersey. Now while I have pretty good size, I did expect some ccomments. Instead, I got pity and well wishes. That hurts almost worse. :(

i just don't want Jauron to get fired. i don't want the chance of Shanahan coaching them. So I hope the Bills perform decently enough to warrant another year of tenure for the incumbent coach

I don't Jauron is a terrible coach but has had about as bad of QBs as there are. He actually has a slightly better record than Belichick, pre Brady. But the silver lining is this may be the greatest FA coaching pool ever.

I don't Jauron is a terrible coach but has had about as bad of QBs as there are. He actually has a slightly better record than Belichick, pre Brady. But the silver lining is this may be the greatest FA coaching pool ever.
What bad QB does he have, you certainly are not talking about Edwards?

Last edited:
I agree that of quarterbacks Jauron has had over his coaching career - Cade McNown, Shane Matthews, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards - only Miller and Edwards were worthy of being starters. However, with the exception of the one year when the Bears came out of nowhere to go 13-3, Jauron has never had a winning record. Just one winning season against seven losing seasons for a carrer record of 57-77 as a head coach. Granted most of the records have not been horrible - he's 7-9 in each of his last four seasons - but perhaps he is one of those guys who is better suited to being a coordinator or position coach rather than a head coach.

It's just funny because I remember growing up as a kid (I'm 28) and just feeling so sorry for the Pats because how bad they were. I did remember occasionally the Super Bowl Bills would trip against a struggling Pats team.

These Bills haven't been as bad as those Pats, but you guys jsut own us. For some reason, we are fine against every other team in the division & those teams can once in a while beat you, but we jsut can't. I was in Boston for the first Pats-Bills game and walking around in my Bills jersey. Now while I have pretty good size, I did expect some ccomments. Instead, I got pity and well wishes. That hurts almost worse. :(

I hate Miami and NYJ. I have nothing against the Bills. They represented the AFCE well for a long time and I support small market teams.

What bad QB does he have, you certainly are not talking about Edwards?

I think Edwards is the best QB Jauron has ever had, but that is more of a reflection about how bad the QBs have been. Edwards is still pretty young so I can't crown him yet but I feel very good about his chances.

I agree that of quarterbacks Jauron has had over his coaching career - Cade McNown, Shane Matthews, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards - only Miller and Edwards were worthy of being starters. However, with the exception of the one year when the Bears came out of nowhere to go 13-3, Jauron has never had a winning record. Just one winning season against seven losing seasons for a carrer record of 57-77 as a head coach. Granted most of the records have not been horrible - he's 7-9 in each of his last four seasons - but perhaps he is one of those guys who is better suited to being a coordinator or position coach rather than a head coach.

Agreed for the most part. But Belchick ( Bill Belichick Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks - Pro-Football-Reference.com ) prior to Brady was 41-57 and only had one winning season. And his QBs were significantly better: Kosar, Testaverde, and Bledsoe.

BB is a great coach and I take nothign away from him. But you need good QB play to consistently win. I'm sure if Patsfans existed back then, fans would have been calling for his head. IMO, QBs make coaches more than coaches make QBs. Hopefully us, Edwards can make Jauron.

I hate Miami and NYJ. I have nothing against the Bills. They represented the AFCE well for a long time and I support small market teams.

Appreciate it but I would almost rather you hate us because it meant we had beaten once in a while. :)

Does anyone think this is Jauron's last season in Buffalo if he doesn't post a winning record? I thought that was going around last pre-season.

Appreciate it but I would almost rather you hate us because it meant we had beaten once in a while. :)

Even in the early AFL days and certainly not in the K-Gun days did I or any Pats fans I know 'hate' the Bills, unlike the Jets or Phins. As a longtime Giants hater (curiously, since reformed), I was as pissed as any Bills fan at Scott Norwood's 'wide right'. I guess we didn't hate the Bills because the Bills' HCs were good guys, not obnoxious like Shula, Kelley was a good QB w/o the hype and the Bills even in their winning days didn't have the NY press adulating them like they used to with the Jets.

Last edited:
Does anyone think this is Jauron's last season in Buffalo if he doesn't post a winning record? I thought that was going around last pre-season.

I don't know how it can't be. Fans were ready to riot after he was retained (not myself). However, after signing TO and what looks to be a good draft, fans came back on board.

But if the Bills post a losing record and Ralph Wlison (who should want to win more than anyone) doesn't fire Jauron and go after a big name coach, it could be a very bad scene here. I pray that it doesn't come to this.

Even in the early AFL days and certainly not in the K-Gun days did I or any Pats fans I know 'hate' the Bills, unlike the Jets or Phins. As a longtime Giants hater (curiously, since reformed), I was as pissed as any Bills fan at Scott Norwood's 'wide right'. I guess we didn't hate the Bills because the Bills' HCs were good guys, not obnoxious like Shula, Kelley was a good QB w/o the hype and the Bills even in their winning days didn't have the NY press adulating them like they used to with the Jets.

Good thoughts. I agree with this. Probably because our teams really haven't been good at teh same times, but I don't have a hate for the Pats either. The same for the Bruins even though the Sabres & Bs have been rivals for a really long time.

In fact, a lot of friends from this area live in Boston now. The Harp across from the arena is one of the greatest Bills bars I have ever been to.

This might be one of the dumbest premises for an article that I've seen. The Pats were significantly better last year, and are bringing Brady back, but somehow the addition of Owens is going to be that much more impactful to the Bills than Brady will be to the Pats? Keep dreaming, guy.

Agreed for the most part. But Belchick ( Bill Belichick Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks - Pro-Football-Reference.com ) prior to Brady was 41-57 and only had one winning season. And his QBs were significantly better: Kosar, Testaverde, and Bledsoe.

BB is a great coach and I take nothign away from him. But you need good QB play to consistently win. I'm sure if Patsfans existed back then, fans would have been calling for his head. IMO, QBs make coaches more than coaches make QBs. Hopefully us, Edwards can make Jauron.
I agree with your point on Jauron's QBs, and I'm not one who sees Jauron as an abject failure. The past two seasons the Bills have been horribly snakebitten with injuries, I seriously thought they were going to grab a wildcard in 2007 despite the players you lost. I see your DL as questionable still, but the OL looks to have some good fits and could be quietly respectable once they get inside each other's heads. Edwards is a serious upgrade from recent QBs, including Bledsoe. RB, WR, and TE are all talented. Your LB pool has some talent as does CB, Safety should still be a concern for Bills' fans. You have a great kicking pair. If any team is quietly (the TO signing aside) rebuilding to be competitive it's Buffalo.

The Jesters are splashing around their puddle throwing mud, but they have a few more holes than they seem ready to see. Miami is going to be a concern because Sparano and Penny are proving to be scrappy and willing to be unconventional, I think Buffalo and Miami battle for second in the AFCE and one of them could be a spoiler for NE going 6-0 in AFCE play, the Jesters will whoop and holler with that defense, but their offense isn't scaring me and for that matter, that's not Baltimore's defense either.

This might be one of the dumbest premises for an article that I've seen. The Pats were significantly better last year, and are bringing Brady back, but somehow the addition of Owens is going to be that much more impactful to the Bills than Brady will be to the Pats? Keep dreaming, guy.
But T.O. is a superstar!:singing:

I hear ya. Believe me, I remember all too well what it felt like to be loveable losers.

Again, I assuming losses but I think you are discounting how much attention TO gets. Lee Evans is very good but most good defenses can take him because they can double him. The PAts double and sometimes triple him because our other receivers aren't good enough. You can't double Evans anymore with TO. Josh Reed, who was a #2 but has limited speed, because a #3 where he belongs and will excel. Additonally, this effects how defenses will blitz the Bills. A lot of coaches would be wise not to leave a corner on an island with Evans or TO. This will also the running game up, where the bills have a top 5 group.

I agree with your point on Jauron's QBs, and I'm not one who sees Jauron as an abject failure. The past two seasons the Bills have been horribly snakebitten with injuries, I seriously thought they were going to grab a wildcard in 2007 despite the players you lost. I see your DL as questionable still, but the OL looks to have some good fits and could be quietly respectable once they get inside each other's heads. Edwards is a serious upgrade from recent QBs, including Bledsoe. RB, WR, and TE are all talented. Your LB pool has some talent as does CB, Safety should still be a concern for Bills' fans. You have a great kicking pair. If any team is quietly (the TO signing aside) rebuilding to be competitive it's Buffalo.

The Jesters are splashing around their puddle throwing mud, but they have a few more holes than they seem ready to see. Miami is going to be a concern because Sparano and Penny are proving to be scrappy and willing to be unconventional, I think Buffalo and Miami battle for second in the AFCE and one of them could be a spoiler for NE going 6-0 in AFCE play, the Jesters will whoop and holler with that defense, but their offense isn't scaring me and for that matter, that's not Baltimore's defense either.

Yeah, Jets fans are delusional. They think Farve was teh reason for all their problems. They like to forget they were 4-12 the year before and Farve led them to wins in NE and Tennessee. They also like to forget Thomas Jones was never close to a pro bowl back. But I'm sure a one year college starter is better than a HOFer. Silly Jets fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back