PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged x5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged)

huskeralk said:
I disagree, even if Beisel still isn't a starter, he's better than some of the other LBs that we have on the roster.
Ummmmmm ... who would those 'some' other LBs be ??

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged

huskeralk said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it's still Shanle. Bring in as many ILBs as possible and let them shoot it out.

I just wish this had been done earlier so they would have more time to acclimate and learn the system in training camp, but what can ya do?

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged x4)

What on earth??? Isn't the dude 37 years old? Why dont they just bring back Bryan Cox while they're at it???

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged)

arrellbee said:
Ummmmmm ... who would those 'some' other LBs be ??
Gardner
Davis
Izzo
Alexander
Roach

Did you want me to keep going?

Re: Seau a Pat?

Danny Boy® said:
Sorry....I was pouring a Guinness....musta missed it.

Well that should teach you not to drink while computering.:p

huskeralk said:
Gardner
Davis
Izzo
Alexander
Roach

I think Alexander is Beisel's superior.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But do you know what this means.....WE SHOULD TRADE SEAU!

NEM said:
Are you tonight's official, duplicate, thread counter??? :D

Sure am. :D

This is just crazy, why did he retire ? Wasn't it just a few days ago ? I guess he is a free agent (I thought Miami had his rights) ?. People were just discussing if he should be a first ballot Hall of Famer, lol. Very strange, but if he can play like Bryan Cox did in 2001, and Roman Phifer did, it's a great signing.

Ok I will ask the question I was figured would already be posted. How does that work, he retires a few days ago and then re-signs with a different team, was his contract expired, i.e only a one year deal with the dolphins? I just don't understand that part of it, because if he still had time left on his contract than any player could just say "I am retiring" and then wait a week and sign with someone else.

A little help with this please.

Re: Seau to sign with the Patriots

huskeralk said:
But obviously not you because you kiss his ***** on every move he makes and never ever question his judgement. Back when we were winning the super bowls, it was easy to just nod your head in approval. Lately though, he's been 50/50 at best in his personnel decisions. I think this move was more out of desperation than anything else. Oops, there I go again, someone call me a troll and put me in my place.
I think you may be tilting at windmills. Lately he been significantly less than 50/50. And since 2000 he is significantly under 50/50. But the thing that folks don't stop to think about is how MANY guys Belichick has sifted thru to get those few nuggets. I'm am pretty sure that HE would not claim to have anywhere near the accuracy that folks seem to think he has - or perhap folks like you think he should have. If you look at HOW MANY players come thru preseason and even regular season and then drop by the wayside, you would begin to get an idea. But the thing that so many folks don't appreciate at all is - YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT A LOT OF PLAYERS IN YOUR CAMP/PRACTICES TO FIND THE FEW 'KEEPERS'. That is the system - there is NO MAGIC. And it has yielded (on the current roster):
Vrabel
Harrison
Miller
Colvin
Izzo
Davis
Gorin

Those are the nuggets that are the payoff for all of the laborious panning for gold among a whole string of free agents. As I look at that list, you have to say it's pretty successful panning. Especially when they orient their process around good values (or call it whatever you will).

scott99 said:
This is just crazy, why did he retire ? Wasn't it just a few days ago ? I guess he is a free agent (I thought Miami had his rights) ?. People were just discussing if he should be a first ballot Hall of Famer, lol. Very strange, but if he can play like Bryan Cox did in 2001, and Roman Phifer did, it's a great signing.

Damn you, I read every post in this thread to see if someone asked that question and you do it as I am reading the last page and posting. :D

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged x4)

He wants a ring...and this is HIS shot..I think he';kk be hungry and give it his all...leadership and expertise in playing D so long...more so than his actual play ability...(stats that is)..I think he may be a TH type ILB..which is limited..but at his age..just fine..stuff the run..and intimidate..skeptical stull but feeling like it may be better...than I have when I first heard it.

huskeralk said:
Gardner
Davis
Izzo
Alexander
Roach

You have to leave out Izzo and Davis because they make the roster far above Beisel in special teams slots.

Gardner, Alexander, and Roach ?? I'll make a prediction for you - one of those guys will make the roster and Beisel will not. :D

Also this signing means that we don't have to worry as much abou our run Defense if Teddy.B doesn't make it back in time for the start of the season.

It also means that Vrabel can go back to his OLBer position, where he plays his best football and where he's best suited:cool:

arrellbee said:
You have to leave out Izzo and Davis because they make the roster far above Beisel in special teams slots.

Gardner, Alexander, and Roach ?? I'll make a prediction for you - one of those guys will make the roster and Beisel will not. :D

I still am holding out hope that Gardner may be a serviceable back up. Belichick and others seemed to give him a fair amount of compliments for his intelligence, work ethic, profesionalism, and determination. I can't think of any praises sung for Izzo, Davis, or Beisel by anyone on the team in terms of linebacking.

This is great news.

Bruschi, Beisel, Alexander and Gardner are not a credible ILB corp.
Bruschi, Seau, Schanle and Beisel... lightyears ahead.

Anyone who thinks that Alexander is ready to breakout as a legit NFL LB has been drinking too much Kool Aid. And Gardner is our Matt Chatham replacement, nothing more.

Seau and Schanle give us the depth and quality that transforms our D entirely. Allows us to actually play a 3-4.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here's something we'll be reading in the next "Bill Belichick, Super Coach" book...

In late Summer, 2006, Belichik knew he would need an inside linebacker. Rumor had it that Junior Seau was retiring. What did Belichick do? Called his old "Mentor" from his first stint in Foxboro, Bill Parcells.

"What's on your buttheaded, never-make-it-as-a-head-coach, boy genius mind?" Parcells asked amiably.

"Bill, Scott wants to drop down for a visit, bring the wife down, see you, get a steak, you know. Just get away from here. I want you to do me a favor and have dinner with your own daughter and son-in-law instead of Terrell Owens."

"Sure, you get me to forget about camp, take a night off, send in your scout boy..."

"Look, he needs the R&R... send your own scout up here while he's down here I don't care."

Pause.

"Okay done, but you better not pull anything on the Dallas Cowboys!"

Belichik hung up the phone. Within the week, he was pulling something on the San Diego Chargers or the Miami Dolphins -- Even Belichik isn't sure. He just knew nobody would see it coming."

Okay that's all crap with a little hero-worship mixed in. But I agree Seau is starting caliber in this stable, if there's anything left in the tank at all, and at the very worst is an improvement over our backups.

Think, people. He has to be worse than our worst LB prospect for this not to be a win. Nobody except Seau gets paid, and I doubt he gets paid a lot. Nobody gets a draft pick. Nothin'.

How anybody can look at Seau and say "nahhhh I'd rather have Beisel or Chad Brown" is beyond me. I won't bring up Roach, et al., because they're not known to be useless.

Another thing: If you have a perenniel all-pro, he can be overrated, and still be easily in the top 10% of linebackers. So what you're saying is "You idiots! He's not great! He's just very good! (or was.)" It's not the demoralizing let-down to me some people take it as.

Happy with this news, and I'll take an ILB from Dallas too, if BB wants. Or maybe that there Claiborne fella....

:rocker:

PFnV

mgcolby said:
Ok I will ask the question I was figured would already be posted. How does that work, he retires a few days ago and then re-signs with a different team, was his contract expired, i.e only a one year deal with the dolphins? I just don't understand that part of it, because if he still had time left on his contract than any player could just say "I am retiring" and then wait a week and sign with someone else.

A little help with this please.

As I recall he was released by the Dolphins shortly before the free agency period began.

Re: Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?

363839 said:
Wait a minute . Hold on.
I thought we all said he was washed up!

Plus we don't need linebackers. This must be a fake.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back