Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can someone explain why Gingrich is held in such high esteem by the right???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Here is a dude who left office in disgrace....

Had a history of ethics charges..

Cheated on Two Wives.. now is remarried to a woman 23 years his junior, with whom he cheated on while married to his 2nd wife, he left his second wife after she was dx with MS... was a dead beat dad, told his first wife he wanted a divorce in the hospital after major surgery...

Another Neo Con Draft Dodger...

He bounced checks while in Congress..

He has had numerous affairs some rumored to be Senate Pages with whom he took quite a few liberties..

Is in Rupert Murdoch's pocket..

Guess his conversion to Catholicism is his saving grace:confused::confused:

Imagine the left put credibility or allowed Al Gore or John Edwards to take a leadership/spokesman role???

His second wife tells some..

Print - Newt Gingrich: The Indispensable Republican - Esquire

2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

He hates the Jets?:confused:
  3. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

People like Newt Gingrich:confused:
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I can't stand the man personally, and I'd never vote for him. I think his "popularity" (emphasis cuz I don't think he's that popular) is superficial. I think his vacation from public office has allowed some to forget his transgressions, as well as prevented an entire generation from even knowing that he has any. Newt didn't serve during the information age so to speak, so his skelatons are still in the closet for a lot of people. I think that if he ran for office, which I think he might do, then we'll see a revamp of Rudi Giuliani, where the guy is poll number popular early on, but as the microscope intensifies, is slashed and gashed into irrelevence.
  5. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Good points RW. While I don't like him his skeletons aren't nearly as public as say Karl Rove's for ex.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

That makes sense, but most of us who watched his shenanigans are a tad appalled by his sanctimonious behavior....

I still do not understand why the right does not silence him??? If he does gain momemtum, and then all of his stuff becomes public that will not be beneficial to the Republicans..

It seems as though he is continually rewarded and there is little attention paid to history.. I can see the left being silent now as they will destroy him at the right time...
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

People don't like Gingrich, I myself think he's a friggin a$s hole but here is the answer to the threads question.

Answer:
    "People Don't Like Gingrich They Like What He Says"
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Would that hold true for John Edwards if he had a message that you liked??

Would that hold true for any other politician hollywood wife swapper?? or just for Newt...
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

He sometimes has some good ideas, lately some bad ideas. IMO he is not held high esteem. I don't know how a party would silence and individual? He will run for President but will not win a nomination.
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

If I took all the members of Congress and the Senate and listed them as not bad, not good, and azzhole I would think at least half of them would go in the azzhole bucket. At least half of them could also fit into the douchebag-azzhole bucket.
  11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Hmmmm. People like Gingrich? I must be out of the loop.
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

It's like my state ... Rhode Island ... I've always wondered like who is it that like's Patrick Kennedy. How could anyone like Patrick Kennedy. He's like a fart in an oxygen tent. But people vote for him. Perhaps those that vote for him hate the other guy more, that's the only rational I can come up with. Perhaps we all vote for the lesser douchebag.
  13. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Good answer Harry!!!!
    Accurate and to the point. A lost art today?
  14. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

That's pretty much what I've done in every election in which I've voted.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

BTW if you substituted the name Clinton for Gingrich in your OP ......... ;)
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Common sense died long ago, didn't you know that? ;)
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Most of us do not view Clinton in the same manner as we did prior to his escapades... he is still esteemed by many, but the economic boom that occured while he was president overshadows much of his bad behavior... he has lost serious credibility.

Cannot understand how you can separate the message from the person, for most of us the shenanigans of Clinton, Edwards and Gore have diminished their credibility and there is an effort to divorce ourselves from them even if they have a good message...

Why is the right is so tolerant of this misbehavior???.. see Sanford, Vitter, Ensign, Foley, Haggard, Limbaugh and the rest of the right wing hollywood wife swappers... perhaps it is so prevalent on the right that they have become desensitized to the point that no matter what they do, as long as they have a "good message" it is ok to excuse their behavior.. guess the "Party of Family Values" is just another contrived logo that in reality means nothing.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I agree, but he has never faced a forminable opponent.. as bad as he is, the Republicans in this state are for the most part worse as they cannot win much of anything except governor... cannot figure that one out either, except the Dem candidates have generally sucked.

Look at this cycle, the Dem candidates all have a tremendous amount of face recognition Cicilline, Lynch and Gemma.. the Republicans are fielding John Loughlin??? Who the F.. is John Loughlin.. my experience is that many people vote for familiar folks who they can believe they can trust as much as any politician can be trusted...
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 7 / -9

Gingrich is a hypocritical douchebag extraordinaire who was vociferously denouncing his adversary's affair while continuing his own, among other stupid moralistic jackass moments. That turns out to have been true of the right as a whole, for that matter... the right always wraps itself in the bible the flag and the constitution, while always pissing all over them...

Catch a Dem with his pants down, and it's political death. Catch a righty with his pants down, and he gets himself a new God, and that fixes everything.

People don't like Clinton, they like some of the things he said/did
    People don't like Gingrich, they like some of the things he says

Of course righties don't see any equivalence. I await the idiotic gymnastics to flesh this one out.

Ten years ago righties were hopping mad that they hadn't been able to end a presidency over a blowjob (though they did manage to impeach him). "Character issues" were soooooo important. Last election cycle they must have been soiling themselves over the fact they had to run against the family man instead of Edwards.

It's pretty clear why Gingrich is liked by the right: they know as well as the rest of us that it doesn't mean d1ck if a politician has an affair - so it "doesn't count" when it's one of their own.

That's fine - just don't waste my time deriding the next petty personal-life issue of the guy on the other side.

Oh and by the way, to answer the question more directly: because the rest of the right's candidate choices are uniformly hypocritical low-IQ idiots. Gingrich, among this crowd, looks like a fuggin' nobel laureate.... despite the right's historical disdain for intellectual stature. He's not a rocket surgeon, but he looks pretty damn astute when you stand him next to the Steeles, Palins, and Limbaughs of the world.

PFnV
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Me too, especially Obama / McCain, I almost stayed home on this one.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010