Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can someone explain to me why the US Military hates America?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I mean the nerve of these retired generals actually having the temerity to criticize our beloved donald rumsfeld and bush administration! I'm willing to bet there are ACTIVE generals who agree with these treasonous folks as well! We better weed out these benedict arnolds before they do anymore harm to george bu... i mean america.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/25/iraq.democrats.ap/index.html
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  2. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

How dare you question?
    You, America hating, knee jerking, liberal, pinko bastahd!
    Obviously, you are not with us, so you must be against us.
    Go back to Hollywood (or Hahvahd), where you belong!

Seriously, good question!
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

In a world where no two people agree on everything, I find it strange that we'd expect every general, or ex-soldier for that matter, to agree with the prosecution of a war. When you add the fact that american politics have never been so media driven, are we to believe that some of these issues aren't politically driven? I happen to think the post war plan was flawed, but that the military operation was exceptional. I also believe that the reason more troops weren't provided was because there weren't more troops to send. Had we sent more troops, and the occupation lasted as long as it currently has, then who would they rotate in when tours were up? Just my 2 cents.

Anyhow, as for Rummy, I wouldn't have fired him either, I'd have simply accepted his resignation one of the two times he's offered it. I think the post war occupation plan needed a little different thinking than that of the Cold War dinosour.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Question:
    Can someone explain to me why the US Military hates America?

Answer:
    Probably because Al Gore didn't want them to vote.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

Maybe not every general, but quite a few seem to be going against Iraqnam... a lot more disagree with how Rumsfield handled the military end of this war also. There are so many issues associated with this, the lack of planning, the poor equipment from unarmored Humvees to outdated personal armor. You have to give some credibility to those whose boots actually touched the ground though.
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

The striking thing is that there are a large number of prominent military people who feel compelled to speak up. I think it's pretty unusual for that to happen. Let's remember, we really don't know what the active generals think, since they are beholden to the Bush regime.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Quite a few in relation to what number? I think the voices here may not constitute anything out of the norm. I think the partisanship of both parties & the media helps promote the criticism, and inflate it as a historical anomoly. As for the military end of the war, Rummy actually did an exceptional job. The vast majority of military strategists agree. The criticisms, most of which I feel are warranted, are with the post war planning and inherent policies. I think the biggest mistake was the disintigration of the Iraqi Army.

Poor equipment and humvee stuff needs to be taken for what it's worth. When you go to war, you basically do it with the resources you have available. When a war is being faught, you adapt as the battlefield dictates. this is historical fact. During WWII, the US, even with years of advanced notice of its involvement, and it's experiences with lend leasing, still was lacking in both equipment, and weaponry. Why? Cuz that's war. You never know what problems the battlefield will present until you get there. The critical issue is how quickly you are able to adapt.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Have past generals never spoken up, or is it that there wasn't a microphone or camera there when they did? I think criticisms are clearly warranted, but this illusion that every general of yesteryear never opposed a war or its practice is slighty overreaching.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

IN relation to what, numbers, percentages etc. You are very quick to respond to and criticize my post, however you are guilty of the same generalizations. Bottom line, written media, internet or any other vehicle of communication there has never been as much dissent amongst those who served at this level. During Vietnam the outcry was from the soldiers who served, I do not remember any generals coming out during the conflict. Perhaps it is societal change, but most of the military folk I know do not like Donald Rumsfield and his policies.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

My reply wasn't a criticism as much as it was a question & vague point. There are valid circumstances here that are not being factored. For example, you mention the internet and other vehicles of communication as a barrometer of messuring a level of discontent that you feel has never existed before. The problem with this analysis is that there wasn't an internet in previous wars, nor were there avenues of communication such as CNN, MSNBC, FOX, BBC, etc....One has to take that into consideration when discussing the issue. These factors don't even take into account the partisanship of the media, with FOX on the right and the rest on the left. Nor the partisanship that has been glorified by said media.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

The Military doesn't hate America, the Military hates the Democrats because the Military knows the Democrats hate them.
    :eek:
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I've posted on this several times and my opinion remains unchanged. Generals are supposed to plan and run wars...the Secretary of Defense oversees the work the Generals do. Rumsfeld broke the unwritten rules of respect and he did both this time in Iraq...making our fine Generals look like fools and puppets. I hate rumsfeld and I don't blame them one bit.

BTW... General Tommy Franks....if Rumsfeld were to receive an old time death sentence for what he has done...Franks deserves to carry out the punishment because he was used and abused in the Iraq war by Rumsfeld. It was pitifull how badly rumsfeld used Franks.
  13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Actually, Harry, it's people like you who are sacrificing our soldiers on the altar to Bush. The Democrats, the liberal ones at any rate, are fighting to save our soldiers lives, but you won't support them because you're a hero worshipper, and Bush is your hero. If you really liked our soldiers, you'd have more objective view of the war in Iraq, as many conservatives have.
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

And the soldiers are fighting to save "our lives".