PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone answer a Chad Jackson question for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my limited reading, it has been noted that players that rely on speed and cuts, (RB, WR), usually take 2 years to get 100% back. That might have caused the confusion.

In the case of Jackson, its my opinion that, at least in the way we would be expected to use him, he won't be asked to make many cuts - just to use his speed to beat his man in coverage.

He was however used as a route runner in college - but the simpler the better for him right now - deep straight pass routes.

That being said, although he showed speed in minicamp, most reports I hear is that he never looked all that fast later in the year. Obviously injuries could come into it but I do have a small fear that his game speed drops a notch.

Time will tell.

Beyond that, as much as I hear it wasn't a bad or full ACL tear with a lot of trauma, there's no ACL tear that is good in my book. The psychological impact of such an injury can be signifcant (he says as he clutches his knee, remembering his own Joe Theismanish injury from years back).

I was under the impression that he tore his acl and is "most likely" out indefinetly, at least till late fall. People on this board keep talking like he will be ready to play this upcoming season and I don't think this is realistic. He is a bust!! Our biggest in a while.. thanks

Obviously you don't understand that it could have been only a partial tear. In fact, many of the reports said that he had surgery 4 days afterwards and would likely be done rehab, at the latest, for training camp.

He might try to "go" in training camp. However:

1) He's starting from absolute ground zero having never grasped the NFL game in 2006.

2) He will have missed the entire off-season program and mini-camps.

3) He's going to be testing a repaired knee. It usually takes players quite a while to regain their confidence and I can't imagine that he has much confidence to start with right now.

I don't think the Pats will waste a roster spot unless he can conclusively demonstrate that he is grasping the system and ready to perform at the NFL level in camp. They'll stash him on the PUP/IR list.

You obviously have a bone up your arse regarding Jackson. He steal your girlfriend or something because you keep making up this crap.

1) It was partially torn. The rehab isn't nearly as long.
2) No, he won't have missed the ENTIRE off-season program and mini-camps. That is your BS assumption.
3) Actually, it doesn't take players that long to regain their confidence regarind their knee.

Unless you've actually HAD an ACL injury, you don't know what you are talking about.

OH, and one last thing, how about you go learn more about Jackson and how he's done in the 2nd year of systems.

In the case of Jackson, its my opinion that, at least in the way we would be expected to use him, he won't be asked to make many cuts - just to use his speed to beat his man in coverage.

He was however used as a route runner in college - but the simpler the better for him right now - deep straight pass routes.

I don't think you can beat NFL defenses with nothing but deep straight pass routes. You've got to have the threat of the stop pattern, the out pattern, the stop n' go, and so forth.

IMO, that's why so many of these speed merchants struggle with the pro game. In college, they were so vastly superior to the defenders that they could rely exclusively on speed and jumping abililty. And, the college game is so sloppy -- like school yard football ("go deep to the tree and I'll throw it to you"). Then, they get to the pros and find out that the defenders and run and jump too.

Maybe the less gifted players make a quicker transition to the pros because they've had to develop some route running skills in college?

Source please?

Just because somebody posted it on the internet or some beat writer opined it, doesn't make it true. I have heard ZERO authoritative information from the New England Patritots. I'm sure that, if they commented, they'd say he is "day to day".

Seriously...all we know is that he had ACL surgery. Anything beyond that is pure speculation on somebody's part.

Source? How about the BOSTON GLOBE and the Boston Herald.

99% of ACLs done today are done arthroscopically.

Oh, and you won't EVER hear anything authoritatively from that Patriots regarding injuries so its pretty friggin ignorant of you to even mention it.

You obviously have a bone up your arse regarding Jackson.

I want him to contribute as much as anybody on this forum. I'm just "trying to keep it real, dog, you know what I'm sayin'?"

The kid obviously didn't grasp the NFL game last season or Belichick would have put him on the field in December and January.

While anything is possible, I don't think it is likely that he will grasp the NFL game while recuperating from reconstructive ACL surgery. It would be great if it worked out that way, but it's probably not likely.

I haven't written the guy off. If he ever gets the benefit of a full NFL off season program and training camp, he could well emerge as a legitimate NFL receiver. Fortunately, his contract is peanuts and the Pats are makng the free agent moves that allow them to stash him on the PUP/IR list if necessary.

99% of ACLs done today are done arthroscopically.

Yeah, using the arthroscope to harvest the middle third of the patella tendon and the bits of bone it attaches to at both ends. Then, using the arthroscope to drill holes in the bone at the ends of the ACL to accept the bone grafts from the harvested tendon. Then, six months of hard rehab before cutting and maneuverability excercises begin.

The good news is that ACL surgery has gotten so good that players can return to prior form. The bad news is that it takes time.

Thank you everyone for your input on my question. I started this thread because I keep reading threads here talking about C. Jackson being a big contributor this upcoming season and I was confused by how anyone could say that with his current situation. As far everyone saying hes not a bust, I think taking a guy in the second round who has done nothing and looks like he will do nothing till at least 2008, is a bust! He may turn out to be ok a few years down the line, but as a second round pick, bust big time for us.... peace

Thank you everyone for your input on my question. I started this thread because I keep reading threads here talking about C. Jackson being a big contributor this upcoming season and I was confused by how anyone could say that with his current situation. As far everyone saying hes not a bust, I think taking a guy in the second round who has done nothing and looks like he will do nothing till at least 2008, is a bust! He may turn out to be ok a few years down the line, but as a second round pick, bust big time for us.... peace

My guess is you are a regular reader of Borges and trying to become a new resident contrarian.. 26 posts say otherwise, most of which seem to solid answers and you maintain your original position.

I think there is a reason we are signing these new WRs to (technically) 1 year deals; the Pats are hoping that they can buy some more time for the guy who they think will be the #1 of the future. Not saying it is true, but if they were sure his career is over, wouldn't they make more of an effort to get these other guys long term?

Does anyone have any proof that Jackson has "trouble running routes"? Or any basis for the "he can't learn the playbook" BS?

These two notions really baffles me. OK, he struggled in his first year, well, there can be plenty of factors contributing to that, injuries are one of them.

Most pre-draft profiles of Jackson say he was a crisp route-runner. In fact, the notion that he is nothing more than a deep threat is way off. This is a guy who caught about 88 passes for 900 yards his senior year. He was a deep threat his sophomore year.

Heck, his prospect profiles says:

"Overall, Chad is not a game-changing speed receiver, but he has all the tools and competitiveness to become a very good starting receiver in a season or two and will consistently get open, make all the catches, and make plays running after the catch."

Likewise...

"Jackson is an extremely efficient receiver, who runs very sharp routes -- he consistently gets out of his cuts quickly and gets separation. He sells his fakes well, and he can turn defensive backs around."

He can definitely be a burner, but the aim is much more than that. The reason people want to take advantage of his speed now is because that is something that can develop faster than becoming a great all-around receiver in the Pats system.

Again, where is the proof for the notion he's a poor route runner or lacks wide receiver smarts? Because Tom Casale thinks so? Because he had a rough first year? I'm not seeing it.

I was under the impression that he tore his acl and is "most likely" out indefinetly, at least till late fall. People on this board keep talking like he will be ready to play this upcoming season and I don't think this is realistic.
You say Jackson won't be ready to play until late fall, then you say that playing the upcoming season is unrealistic?

Do you know that the football season goes past October, right?

That we're talking about CHAD Jackson, not REGGIE Jackson?

Again, where is the proof for the notion he's a poor route runner or lacks wide receiver smarts? Because Tom Casale thinks so?
It's not just Casale. I heard the same thing from Felger on his show (Down on All Fours With Felger). If Casale and Felger think it's true, it must be. Though if there is any lingering doubt, we can ask Borges.

In two months, of course.

Does anyone have any proof that Jackson has "trouble running routes"? Or any basis for the "he can't learn the playbook" BS?

Jackson was barely on the field later in the season and, when he touched the ball, it was usually on an end-around run. He caught three balls in the month of December and zero balls in January.

It is what it is. Obviously Bill Belichick and Tom Brady were not confident enough in his development to involve him in the offense.

I don't hold it against him. I knew last summer, when he didn't take a snap in training camp, that he was very likely not going to contribute in 2006. A rookie can't learn to play receiver in the NFL during the season.

I was optimistic that he would make strides this year, with a full off-season program mini-camps, and training camps. Unfortunately, it now looks like that won't happen. Unless he really shows something, I expect him to be stashed on PUP/IR lists for 2007. The Pats will give him a shot in 2008.

Spacecrime. You seriously think Jackson can miss all of training camp and the first few months of the season and be ready to make an impact this season? ok dude...You must be watching a different guy than me, cuz the Jackson I watched last year looked like he had his head up his ass the few times he actually played...Now post torn ACL he's suddenlly gonna be great. BUST!!!!!!!

Welker...Stallworth.....Cincy guy
Nuff Said

Action Jackson is a non contributor next year

From what I understand sources close to Chad have claimed the injury was not as bad, as was first reported. Those same sources claim he will be ready around August.

Usually after a full ACL tear you wait two weeks (at the earliest) for the swelling/fluid to subside before attempting repair. Jackson had his repair only four days after the Indy game, which would suggest a partial tear. I also know Jackson has been in NE all offseason, so he can rehab faster, and he has been working out with teammates.

A full ACL tear is supposed to take 6-12 months to heal, while Jackson is supposed to have only a partial tear. Partial tears should heal faster, and August will have been 8 months after Jackson's partial tear. Really with medical advances in this area Jackson should see some action in '07. I can't guarantee he will play the full season, but he should at least play.

Olympic Doctor's have perfected ACL repair, and now suggest an Olympic athlete should only take 6-9 months to recover from a complete ACL tear. Jackson is a physical specimen, and until becoming a NE Patriot had proven particularly durable. Funny how that works huh? The guy was durable his entire HS career, and his entire college career, but comes to NE and gets nailed with two injuries in one season. One thing that is good about ACL rehab is that it will likely make his entire leg more agile, and durable, so in theory it should help whatever Hammy problems he was having.

Last edited:
Sebman are you a Doctor? You either really know what your talkin about or at least sound like you know.

I'm Impressed.

Anyways he's young, he'll heal fast.

And in 06 I saw alot of Potential, I would call him a bust at all.

He Looks Like a Linebacker playing wr, The guy is a beast.

I wouldn't call him a Bust At All

sorry about that mix up

I don't think you can beat NFL defenses with nothing but deep straight pass routes. You've got to have the threat of the stop pattern, the out pattern, the stop n' go, and so forth.

IMO, that's why so many of these speed merchants struggle with the pro game. In college, they were so vastly superior to the defenders that they could rely exclusively on speed and jumping abililty. And, the college game is so sloppy -- like school yard football ("go deep to the tree and I'll throw it to you"). Then, they get to the pros and find out that the defenders and run and jump too.

Maybe the less gifted players make a quicker transition to the pros because they've had to develop some route running skills in college?

Jackson wasn't just a speed demon in HS, or college. Honestly, the more I hear people talk about him the more I realize they know little about his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes