PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can / should Pats ask for the Camergate pick BACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
ok, its off-season so stupid speculation like this thread is ok, right?

I know BB and Kraft would never do it
(a. Goodell doesn't like to be challenged
b. they wouldn't want to stir the pot up. they would prefer to let it just go away.)

But should the Pats appeal their penalty and ask for a compensation #1 or at least a #2 to make up for the IN RETROSPECT obviously overly harsh and INEQUITABLE punishment (considering the # of clubs [see Jets etc.] who did the exact same thing after the 2006 reminder letter and were never punished at all)?

Goodell leaves a bit of hope for Saints - NFC South Blog - ESPN

Yasinkas says the Saints have been told they can ask for the 2013 pick back again if they are good boys and get down on their knees to pray to the god-ell.

In the release announcing the rulings had been upheld, there was some language that suggested the Saints can lighten their punishments a bit.

“The club and the individuals will be expected to cooperate in any further proceedings and to assist in the development and implementation of programs to instruct players and coaches at all levels on principles of player safety, fair play, and sportsmanship,’’ the release said. “If they embrace the opportunity and participate in a constructive way, commissioner Goodell said he would consider mitigating the financial penalties on the individuals. In the case of the team, the commissioner would consider whether there are factors that would support modifying the forfeiture of the team's 2013 second-round draft choice.’’

So, well well well. Headhunting and pay-for-injury it seems is not as important as 'THE NFL FIELD PROCEDURE GUIDE'. After all only one two is certainly less than a #1.

As I said BB and Kraft would never do it; but a successful appeal would maybe bring the facts to the table and force people to admit that it was if not a travesty, at least an over-zealous prosecution (particularly in the media). I guess the fans could always instigate an appeal under the basis of something similar to friend of the court type-lawsuit briefs.

If we did it, it'll only invite more talk about spygate. Bury the hatchet. Move on. Don't feed the stupid.

Although it would be pretty stupid if the NFL ended up fining the Saints only a second after the Pats lost a first round pick, I don't think Goodell said that. He said "modify" the 2nd round pick, which probably means dropping it to a third.

As for the rest of the thread, let it go.

There is a deadline on appeals. In this case it passed 5 years ago...

1191457-homer_facepalm_super.jpg

...stupid speculation like this thread...

Your words, not mine. But, if you say so, well, how can I argue with you?
Hey, isn't the Draft coming up in a few days?

Last edited:
Your name Gumby fits well here..because this topic is really 'stretching' it :rolleyes:

If we did it, it'll only invite more talk about spygate. Bury the hatchet. Move on. Don't feed the stupid.

The OP makes a valid point when comparing the punishments and that the saints could ask for a return of the pick.................however, I agree with you. Asking for it would only open the door for the Pats haters....let it rest.

Running a model organization that represents all that is right with sports + getting caught stealing signs (a common practice) = loss of first round draft pick

Sexually harassing TWO females on the compound and embarrassing the league + tripping a player running down the sidelines + publicly accusing a rival of tripping players (proven to be false) + getting caught with a camera against the same team you later ratted out + adding felons to the team who were recently convicted of violent crimes + giving a player with a DUI mid-season a small slap on the wrist = no punishment

Last edited:
Shouldn't the penalty be applied to what happened and not what might happen in the future? I don't see how the penalty should be reduced because a first round pick wasn't available this year (which is probably what it would have been).

No, everyone needs to just let it die already. It was five years ago, the Pats have played some great football since then, and even without that pick they've done an excellent job of reloading with young, dynamic players. Let's hope for a defensive draft that shores things up and gives us a few more playmakers, and then go from there. No need to rehash the past.

Shouldn't the penalty be applied to what happened and not what might happen in the future? I don't see how the penalty should be reduced because a first round pick wasn't available this year (which is probably what it would have been).

FWIW, remember that no one on the Patriots was suspended.

OTOH, the Saints are losing their HC for the entire season, the guy who would have been his replacement for six weeks, and their GM for half a season.

The other thing to remember is that the Patriots' punishment, if you'll recall, was a 1 if they made the playoffs that year. If they hadn't, it would have been a 2 and a 3.

While we are at it, can we petition the league for them to reverse the results of the AFC Championship game where they admitted they screwed up the penalty that led to the Colts getting the game winning TD in the 2006 season?

Let it die. Spygate is over. Move on!

Unless someone's got Mr. Peabody's WABAC machine, this isn't going to happen.

There is a deadline on appeals. In this case it passed 5 years ago...

There is a deadline on appeals...but apparently no limit for spygate talk... even from Pats fans!

Just. Make. It. Stop.

I think an appeal for the pick or ayt least some pick back, is reasonable, in view of the possible reinstatement of the Saints loss of a pick.:)

With another First Round pick on the Team, they would or might have won a Superbowl or two, in as much as they had the best record in the league and HFA one season; and made the Superbowl last season but didn't win. Being fined potentially two Lombardi Trophies is enough punishment.:(

BTW, the Jets skated with out any punishment for the SidelineGate attempt to injure the opposition's best ST player. Thye didn't even use players on the field but rather some toughs that they acquired to take the forced collision.:eek:

I think an appeal for the pick or ayt least some pick back, is reasonable, in view of the possible reinstatement of the Saints loss of a pick.:)

With another First Round pick on the Team, they would or might have won a Superbowl or two, in as much as they had the best record in the league and HFA one season; and made the Superbowl last season but didn't win. Being fined potentially two Lombardi Trophies is enough punishment.:(

BTW, the Jets skated with out any punishment for the SidelineGate attempt to injure the opposition's best ST player. Thye didn't even use players on the field but rather some toughs that they acquired to take the forced collision.:eek:

100 Percent correct but unfortunately futile. The only team that can get away without punishment is Goodell's beloved Jets. I can only imagine what the punishment would be if the Pats intentionally tripped an opposition player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back