Can rookies partake in OTA's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This thought came to my mind this morning, can rookies partake in OTA's?? Do you need to be signed to participate?? If you are unsigned can you participate??

I know for quite some time in the initial rookie mini-camp all rookies and teams sign a waiver/agreement that in case of injury they will still receive a contract that would be commensurate with their overall draft position. An example would be with what happened with Tyrone McKenzie.

If I am not mistaken that agreement extends throughout all of the OTA's. Prior to off-season rosters being expanded from 80 to 90 teams typically did not sign most rookies until a few days before the start of training camp; the purpose in doing that was so that they could look at more players during the off-season. I don't recall any or all those rookies missing OTA's in previous years.

Yes, as long as they have graduated. The last time the Pats held OTAs, in June of 2010, then-rookies such as Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez participated in them:

What We’ve Learned: TE Rob Gronkowski :Ian's New England Patriots Blog

Jeremy Ebert doesn't graduate from Northwestern until June, so he'll miss the OTas (May 29-31, June 4-5 and June 7-8) and minicamp (June 12-14), just as Taylor Price did in 2010.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye