PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Patriots go undefeated and return to Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then i guess every team in the NFL should think that way.

They sure as hell should. Maybe then Baltimore fans wouldn't waste their time crying about feeling screwed about the loss to the Pats, and instead ask themselves why the heck their team underachieved for an entire season.
Examples like that could be made for many teams.

Yea, this thread is comical. Undefeated?? What an arrogant attitude.

Yeah, it would be unheard of for an NFL team to go undefeated. Nobody has gone undefeated in the regular season since....emmm...the 2007 Patriots. Expectations are partly based on past results.

There is a difference between what you hope will happen and what you predict will happen. Who wouldn't want their team to go undefeated?

On the other hand, I don't like all this talk of perfection. Not because it is arrogant (it isn't, that is just a silly attitude) but causes attention to go away from where it needs to be.

Usually I don't like to feed the trolls, but I made an exception here.

Yeah, it would be unheard of for an NFL team to go undefeated. Nobody has gone undefeated in the regular season since....emmm...the 2007 Patriots. Expectations are partly based on past results.

There is a difference between what you hope will happen and what you predict will happen. Who wouldn't want their team to go undefeated?

On the other hand, I don't like all this talk of perfection. Not because it is arrogant (it isn't, that is just a silly attitude) but causes attention to go away from where it needs to be.

Usually I don't like to feed the trolls, but I made an exception here.

To even THINK about being undefeated after losing the Super Bowl makes no sense at all. Sorry

To even THINK about being undefeated after losing the Super Bowl makes no sense at all. Sorry

Whether it makes sense is one thing, but it isn't arrogance. Most people who want them to go undefeated don't expect it. I agree that it is a mistake to focus on it, but just because it makes them stop thinking about one game at a time. The Perfect Season, by definition, is defined over many games, and they shouldn't be thinking that way.

However, fans are free to think about it.

Really? Fans of a team that just went 18-1, and in most of our minds, inexplicably laid an egg in the last game?
I'd say it's more logical to think they could do it again if things fall into place.

When you look at it one game at a time, and your team just came off of one of the greatest seasons ever (yes, despite the loss), I don't see why a fan wouldn't.

I guess if you're a Dolphin's fan it's a bit unrealistic, or if you're HC is Dungy, it's a bit crazy.

Really? Fans of a team that just went 18-1, and in most of our minds, inexplicably laid an egg in the last game?
I'd say it's more logical to think they could do it again if things fall into place.

When you look at it one game at a time, and your team just came off of one of the greatest seasons ever (yes, despite the loss), I don't see why a fan wouldn't.

I guess if you're a Dolphin's fan it's a bit unrealistic, or if you're HC is Dungy, it's a bit crazy.

Exactly. We are fans. We expect them to get better each season, not worse. Also, using this season's records as a benchmark, the Patriots have the easiest schedule in the league next year.

I don't necessarily expect them to go undefeated, but it would sure be cool! Only this time they'll have the experience of the 2007 year to draw on.

But I still think it would be cool if BB was like 'Screw you' and played his second stringers their first couple of games.

Also, using this season's records as a benchmark, the Patriots have the easiest schedule in the league next year.
I remember going into this season, the Pats looked to have one of the toughest schedules in the league based on predictions. Then when teams like the Jets, Ravens, Dolphins, Chargers, Eagles et al weren't as good as expected, all the pundits jumped on our 'weak schedule'.

Next year's SOS is skewed as the Dolphins will not be as bad as advertised, and the AFC West should return to normal.

Well, I dont think you laid an egg, I think the Giants were just better, for one day at least. But after watching that offensive line get manhandled, how could you possibly think of looking at an undefeated season? I however agree that after doing it once, its natural to think it can be done again.

There is almost no chance they go 19-0 next season unless they make huge upgrades on defense.

They can, but it's unlikely.

I fully expect them to get back to the big one, but I could give two ****s what their record is.
thank you i agree. i just want to see the pats holding the SB trophy at the end of the 08 season .

This is ULTIMATE perfection:
Next SuperBowl: Against Bears, we crush em.
The SB after ^: Green Bay, crush em (sensing a pattern?)
The SB after ^: Giants, we go 18-0, then we win, 19-0, by a large margin, then tell em "That's what its really like to get OWNED"

That and If I get **** soon, then I can die :D

I dont even want to think about undefeated right now. Too painful

It doesn't matter, I'm paying attention to the Celtics. Once Labor Day rolls around, it is 1 game at a time.

Gimme 13-3 or 12-4 with a Lombardi at the end...

Perfection is overrated!

Not that I wouldn't take those records with a sb victory but you gotta admit 16-0 would be so much nicer.
Truthfully with this west coast swing in the schedule it will be near impossible to do so really, I'm just hoping for number 4.

There is almost no chance they go 19-0 next season unless they make huge upgrades on defense.

Defense gave up 17 points in the SB.
You usually win that game, especially when you have a record setting offense.
Don't worry. The Pats will upgrade where THEY think they need to.
Got a #7 pick for the draft, too. That could help.

Sorry, but that defense is vulnerable.

I'm not saying it's a bad defense, but it is not it's not a championship defense. Say what you will, but the bottom line is they couldn't stop a very mediocre qb (Eli Manning) from driving over 80 yards for a winning td in the Superbowl.

The same could be said for P.Manning the season before.

If the Pat's D was of championship caliber they would have won 4 of the last 5 Superbowls

They must tighten that defense up if they want to WIN the Superbowl next season.

Sorry, but that defense is vulnerable.

I'm not saying it's a bad defense, but it is not it's not a championship defense. Say what you will, but the bottom line is they couldn't stop a very mediocre qb (Eli Manning) from driving over 80 yards for a winning td in the Superbowl.

The same could be said for P.Manning the season before.

If the Pat's D was of championship caliber they would have won 4 of the last 5 Superbowls

They must tighten that defense up if they want to WIN the Superbowl next season.

Of course the defense was SB-caliber. It gave up 17 points (a very respectable amount) in the SB. If you're arguing that, barring an overhaul, it won't be SB-caliber next year, then we're in agreement. Arguing that it wasn't SB-caliber this year, however, is pretty much pointless. If the offense had come within 10 points of its season average, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

This is ULTIMATE perfection:
Next SuperBowl: Against Bears, we crush em.
The SB after ^: Green Bay, crush em (sensing a pattern?)
The SB after ^: Giants, we go 18-0, then we win, 19-0, by a large margin, then tell em "That's what its really like to get OWNED"

That and If I get **** soon, then I can die :D

or how about

rams

panthers

eagles

Last edited:
if the patriots get to 18-0 and are up by double digets with under 20 seconds left in the super bowl, then maybe i will talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes