PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can our D improve by scheme/act of will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the verdict on our defensive backfield??

I really like what I saw from Wheatley, but that matters little now.
Are Wilhite and L. Sanders a step up from what we had out there now???
Seems all I notice are O'Neal and Hobbs getting beat.

I like Hobbs,but wish our DB's would turn their heads about 2 seconds earlier on every deep ball. I would think, once you are more than 15 yards downfield you should watch the QB.

Pretty sure O'Neal is the weak link in the base defense.

What nobody has mentioned is the potential return of Adalius Thomas bolstering the pass rush. The defense began tanking as soon as he went down with his injury. He was having a monster year before that injury, and if he can return somewhat to form we should see increased pressure on the quarterback.

The 2005 defense came together in a big way late in the season, improving from a bottom 5 unit to a top 5 unit over the month of December. Some of that was the return of Bruschi, some of that was the emergence of JAG or young defensive backs within the system. Our defensive backs have looked awful thus far, but I haven't lost faith that Wilhite and Lewis Sanders can at least help settle things down if they can stay healthy for the rest of the season.

The only way the Patriots defense can improve markedly is if

Deltha O'Neal can morph into Asante Samuel and defend against

passes like Asante.

With so many rookies on D playing at the same time now you would think they WILL get better with more reps and more games. Seems like the intermediate passing stuff is more of a problem than the long ball.

Rewatching the Miami game you see alot of the young guys just a little out of place although they usually show good speed and aggressiveness which is a good sign going forward.

I believe that there are other possible factors that could make the D better. The return of Adalius will be HUGE for our pass rush. Also, the maturaturation of rookies and second year guys could be a huge factor in the quality of our D.

... Also, the maturaturation of rookies and second year guys could be a huge factor in the quality of our D.

Whew....you might want to do a spell check for uncertain words; I read it as something else at the first glance. ;)

Some say it was because they got back Bob Sanders. I think they played some below average offenses in the playoffs. The only good offensive team they played was the Pats and we were able to score on them. Other than that, who was it? Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Chicago (the Grossman year).

They didn't so much improve as they got a bit of swagger from playing sub-par offenses.

As far as I know, Jacksonville wasn't in the playoffs in 2006. It was the Chiefs that had what was considered at the time an "unstoppable" rushing attack. That was also supposed to be the Colts biggest weakness and they shut it down. If I remember correctly, they didn't allow a single first down until the 3rd quarter.

Unless you guys are totally blind, the Patriots Defense has improved by an act of will, already.

For a Defense that was torn down in preseason to have produced a Defense rated in the top 12 is remarkable. Despite giving playing time to 10 players who either never played before in a Pats uniform, or started is... actually incredible, when you think about it.

Last time I looked, the Team was winning about two out of every three games with the new Defense that did not allow quick TDs to anybody. Despite the conservative approach, the D has 11 INTs. That is about normal for a good but not great Defense; that projects to 16-17 per season which is a fine number. The sack totals are down at 19 (projects to about 28-30 per sesason), but the QB hits at 40 is very good. I see no reason to change to a more gambling style.

It is to be expected with AD now gone, and both Vrabes and AD playing virtually all the snaps without much rest, that sack totals are down. In addition, they may have been holding back a little to help the rookies inside too. Woods is coming on now, as are the ILBs, and AD may be back later to bolster the pass rush.

The interior D-line is having a phenominal year. Seymour is back as an All-Pro, better than ever, a true foundation tackle that makes everyone around him better. Wilfork is either the best or certainly no worse than one of the top three NT in the game. Warren is just steady and very good. The reserves are proving themselves. Wright, Green and Smith are proving to be worthy.

I think that you have already gotten more than could be expected. You'll just have to wait till next year's additions to jump into the elite category; but this existing situation is just not all that bad, sorry. :rolleyes:;)

The only way the Patriots defense can improve markedly is if

Deltha O'Neal can morph into Asante Samuel and defend against

passes like Asante.

Hopefully not like he did in the Superbowl, though...:rolleyes:

'Sante is such a difference maker, isn't he. Great signing by the Eagles...whose defense is predicated on the blitz and has never been their achilles heel anyway...LOL.

Here's some encouragement re: Vince Redd

Nuggets from Gillette - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Vince Redd draws raves as Joey Porter.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked about rookie OLB Vince Redd, and what earned him one of the black jerseys as a Practice Player of the Week. The Practice Player of the Week is awarded to the players who are deemed to have best prepared the team in the days leading up to a victory. Belichick explained that Redd played the role of Dolphins OLB Joey Porter last week, and then pointed out that Porter had just 1 tackle. Asked if Redd tuned up for the role by doing some trash talking, Belichick laughed.

If Redd has a good game-speed impression of Porter, get him in the game! lol

Last edited:
The Colts did (improve their D) late in the year they (having trouble typing it) won the super bowl.

The Colts went from being laughable to truly a 'stuff the run, hawk the ball' defense. Manning's numbers prior to the Patriots game were terrible...and defense carried them to the AFCCG.
In the 2nd half, they shut just down on 3rd down.

I think we can make the same kind of chance. Barring any further injuries, we have the personnel. Of course, I'd feel much better with our best LB (AD) in the lineup.

Unless you guys are totally blind, the Patriots Defense has improved by an act of will, already.

For a Defense that was torn down in preseason to have produced a Defense rated in the top 12 is remarkable. Despite giving playing time to 10 players who either never played before in a Pats uniform, or started is... actually incredible, when you think about it.

Last time I looked, the Team was winning about two out of every three games with the new Defense that did not allow quick TDs to anybody. Despite the conservative approach, the D has 11 INTs. That is about normal for a good but not great Defense; that projects to 16-17 per season which is a fine number. The sack totals are down at 19 (projects to about 28-30 per sesason), but the QB hits at 40 is very good. I see no reason to change to a more gambling style.

It is to be expected with AD now gone, and both Vrabes and AD playing virtually all the snaps without much rest, that sack totals are down. In addition, they may have been holding back a little to help the rookies inside too. Woods is coming on now, as are the ILBs, and AD may be back later to bolster the pass rush.

The interior D-line is having a phenominal year. Seymour is back as an All-Pro, better than ever, a true foundation tackle that makes everyone around him better. Wilfork is either the best or certainly no worse than one of the top three NT in the game. Warren is just steady and very good. The reserves are proving themselves. Wright, Green and Smith are proving to be worthy.

I think that you have already gotten more than could be expected. You'll just have to wait till next year's additions to jump into the elite category; but this existing situation is just not all that bad, sorry. :rolleyes:;)

The only point in your spot-on post that I could disagree with is the bolded statement, just because I think they'll still continue to improve as crunch time keeps crunching closer and closer. That's typically how they roll and this year more than ever I think BB's taken the approach of building to the finish line rather than starting out hot right out of the gate. Otherwise I totally agree and have agreed right along. Our D is not the nemesis some here make it out to be,in fact it's been gathering it's chi more and more each week. The rookies should be caught up just at the right time.

It's nice to see some perspective here, thank you :)

Those are some very strong words from Wilfork - hopefully he speaks for all of the D, but I would agree that in past SB seasons our D has often had to play beyond their talents and capabilities - and it CAN be done - they know it.

It really comes down to each and every player recognizing that they play a role in the D, that is well matched to their abilities and skills. If everyone on the D does what they are supposed to do, great things will happen. But there can be no weak links.

So I'll put myself in the "believer" category that they can and will continue to improve, regardess of injuries.

Found some good stuff from Troy Brown on the Defense in the "Felcher" mailbag. Hm.

Excellent post, great points by Troy Brown. I've been waiting for this to happen and hope they start getting physicsal starting w/Pittsburgh this weekend.

From a defensive standpoint the results have been mixed at best. I have been waiting on some type of scheme change for a while now but it has not materialized and I find this unwillingness to adjust, troubling. When Pees decided to pressure Farve in the Jets game, the results were immediate and highly effective. Then they stopped and Farve was able to sustain an 8 minute drive towards the end of the game. Other than this 1 scenario I have a hard time thinking of another situation where a significant ingame adjustment was made?
What I do know is that our secondary, as it is currently constituted, cannot succeed playing 8-10 yards off the line. This scenario has been consistently exploited by our opponents offensive coordinators. Particularly on third and long!!!!
Our D line has demonstrated that they cannot get sustained pressure on the QB. When you combine this with little to no blitzing and the secondary giving large cushions to the receivers on third and long, you have the answer as to why our 3rd down D has been so poor. I think our defensive coaches have been a part of the problem by not being willing to adjust. For whatever reason, Pees seems very slow to make changes to the game plan during the game. The defensive coaching philosophy seems to be very static and this has surprised me this year as much as Cassels success on offense. And I can't help but wonder what exactly has Dom Capers role been this year?
It is perplexing to say the least!!!
I think that the D can improve.

Well-said. I too believe that the defensive coaches have been part of the problem, along with the frightening lack of talent in the secondary & OLB. Unlike your last sentence, however, I hold little hope that the defense will improve. Even if the coaches decide to bring the house while playing press/bump & run, we simply don't have the horses to compete, esp. in the POs, should we be lucky enough to even qualify. Damn those Dolt & Jest losses; they are going to kill us in the end.

Even though I do question some of the defensive philosophy, I also recognize the impact that injuries have had on the season. Our starting SS and our starting OLB are big losses. Losing Wheatley also hurts for two reasons. One, it looked like he was starting to come on and his closing speed was evident. I don't know if he'd beaten out Delta for the starting job the game he was injured in but it looked as though he had. Two, he's lost valuable playing time THIS YEAR which would have greatly enhanced his development heading into 2009.
Injuries and rookies certainly influence what the defensive coaches can do. However, I still feel that the in game defensive coaching has been questionable and unimaginative.

Time is running out and we need to stop our opponents from converting to first down and do a better job in red zone. We loose Steeler game and we are finished.

The only thing that stops pats from being a perfect team is D. We need to fix our secondary problem ASAP and I can't believe that we haven't done anything to improve it. Perhaps, we need a new D coordinator and experienced CBs?

Our O is excellence while our D doesn't get better.

Last edited:
I'm going to say that the Defense has come a long way already in rebuilding. I don't think the Red Zone Defense will improve too much. More talent is needed before that will change. But there is something that everyone overlooks. The "bend don't break" is working.

Although when the opponents DO reach the red zone, they score. Overlooked is that they are not reaching it too often. Our Offense has almost double the red zone possesions of the opponent's Offenses.

So while the redzone D is poor statistically, it is not being challenged quite as often. In short the D is stopping them before they get there. Now the fans are complaining that gambling without the talent will work; I think all that will happen is that we will give up some quick scores. :eek:

Last edited:
With so many rookies on D playing at the same time now you would think they WILL get better with more reps and more games. Seems like the intermediate passing stuff is more of a problem than the long ball.

Rewatching the Miami game you see alot of the young guys just a little out of place although they usually show good speed and aggressiveness which is a good sign going forward.
I think having Harrison there an dhone..now Thomas gone for awhile, there are a number of adjustments needed..and without vets it's a lot harder..so I do expect improvement over time..THAT is needed or the playoffs might be here and gone quickly OUT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots