Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can obama be more of a hypocrite ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Jun 9, 2009.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Obama: It's OK to borrow to pay for health care - Yahoo! Finance

"President Barack Obama on Tuesday proposed budget rules that would allow Congress to borrow tens of billions of dollars and put the nation deeper in debt to jump-start the administration's emerging health care overhaul . . .
    It would carve out about $2.5 trillion worth of exemptions for Obama's priorities over the next decade. His health care reform plan also would get a green light to run big deficits in its early years. But over a decade, Congress would have to come up with money to cover those early year deficits."

So he wants to be able to put us ANOTHER $2.5T in debt and worry about how to pay for it later.

Then he says this :

""The 'pay-as-you-go' rule is very simple," Obama said. "Congress can only spend a dollar if it saves a dollar elsewhere."

You're a f*cking jackass, obama. We know what "pay as you go" means - how about DOING IT.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

He's business as usual, as I predicted he'd be. He's also in way over his head. This guy, along with congress, is going to put the final couple of nails in the country's coffin. He's making GW look thrifty.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

He's got a great smile.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Like I said BO and the rats would make Bushand the pubbies look like pikers when it comes to reckless spending. I admit this bunch is even worse than I had imagined...
  5. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm going on a diet - right after I eat this extra-large pizza tonight and two super-sonic cheeseburgers tomorrow night. Really! I really am!

I'll cut my calorie intake in half - from 10,000 a day to 5,000. Yup, that's how I'll lose weight!
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +888 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Where's Gerald Ford?

One thing I questioned of Obama during the election was he went from not being religious ... to being in Rev. Wrights church every week ... to being a Muslim heritage non-denominational Christian :confused2:

Word had it that he became more of a Christian when he saw the support he could generate from the church. Really catipulted his political career. This guy has wiped clean his entire history except for what is contained in 2 books. America knew this and voted him in anyways.

IMO ... I am still in giving him a chance mode ... is that foolish? Could be.
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 6 / -9

Yep, dead to rights on this one. A lot of spending -- necessary or not, depending on your point of view -- followed by PAYGO rules.

"Starve the beast startinnnnng...righhhhhhhht...hold on a minute okay....now!"

Yeah, Icy, it's a matter of how it all looks in retrospect in a few years, but we'll see. Looks to me like he's aware of the extent of spending so far and is signalling that it's particular to particular crises. Or, as the OP posits, the PAYGO rules are purely lip service.

I don't think you get the mess cleaned up w/o the spending enacted thus far. I do think that for a long time we've had a so-called "post-industrial" economy, and we need to make things to have a real economy. I also think we have an infrastructure in need of overhaul, and energy needs that can be addressed but only with a mass investment that at present has no real "natural" incentive, and would not have until we're way too close to out of go-juice. And eight years, even at the most extreme pace one can go in eight years, only gets you a first step (most likely off petroleum products as a stand-in for "portable energy" and onto an electrical storage model.)

Then where do you get the electricity? Again we can only get the first step done, at the extreme: A better grid, replacement of "their" fossil fuel (oil)primarily with "our" fossil fuel (coal.) Try to take a braggable edge off with "big" replacements of some of that with wind and solar, and with an investment in public transit and conservation.

I am not sure whether the PAYGO announcement, in that context, signals "okay, now we got a lot of stuff started, we'll coast in terms of new spending." As the rabid right has noted inaccurately (the money is not yet spent,) the projections put his presidency as just as expensive or more than the previous regime. The difference, to me, is that this spending is a down-payment on ways out of messes we do need to get out of, rather than spending that money to get into messes. Some of that expense is rightly seen as the necessary clean-up fund for the last 8 years, and some of it is to make Obama's own moves (i.e., pushing for alternative energy/normal energy infrastructure; health care reform; etc.)

I can only say "it better work," and I've said that before. And that doesn't mean if your portfolio is artificially shot through the roof on any given bubble in 8 years, it means whether we're a few steps down the road to a renewable energy future and sustainable economic growth.

PFnV
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Actually Bo is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ANY PRESIDENCY. His projections (on unemployment for example) are drastically off and overly optimistic.
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 6 / -9

So you're making a prediction of future expense, ACTUALLY. (I have noted that typing words in all caps makes them smarter.)

And of course, there is the small problem of how we count the amount you spend on ICU after the previous administration caps 30 years of blithe waste on a paper economy with an orgy of ostrich-like behavior, in which even the scintilla of regulation remaining is eviscerated by a lack of enforcement.

But that's all bickering and argument.

I think we can agree on the broad strokes:

- Obama has spent a lot
    - This spending will either address our problems and be good, or not address our problems, and therefore be wasteful.
    - It's fairly predictable that you (13) and those like you will conclude, or have already concluded, that the spending is wasteful and should never have been done.
    - It's a good approximation to say that I am predisposed to think Obama's on the right track.

So we'll see in a few years who's right, and you'll declare it to be you regardless.

I can, however, point to one fact that is not in question: Obama's last name is Obama, and his first name is Barack. His middle name is so well-known in right wing circles I hardly have to mention it, but it's Hussein.

His dog is named Bo.

I am sure you regret the error :)

PFnV
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If we can break the bank fighting terrorists because they'll kill us if we don't, why can't we do the same fighting crappy healthcare since that's going to kill us too?

Dirty bombs/dirty(clogged) heart vessels. Each will leave a person just as dead.
  11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Typical Liberal response. Try that at home. Honey, you spend $5K on jewelry so I'm going to spend $5K on (whatever). We only have $100 in the bank ? Oh well, if you can do it I can do it.

What we spent in Iraq, and what obama continues to spend there, is IRRELEVANT.