PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can NFL* dock traded for draft picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft picks are a currency that the NFL produces. It appears that they can do whatever they want with them as long as they're not Jet's picks. For the NFL to explicitly state that the highest pick in the 1st will be taken, someone in the NFL office musta been pretty pissed when the Patriots picked 10th in 2008, a year where the NFL stole a 1st rounder.

And just think--they traded down from #7 to #10 in order to accumulate more picks.

As frustrating as it is, the ****heads over at the NFL clearly didn't consider the brilliance of the Patriots coaching staff given the offseason the team has put together. I wonder if not having that draft pick and the associated financial commitment that comes along with it has been redistributed to act in Free Agency and trade for Bennett? Whatever the case, Belichick and Caserio make one hell of a team.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder how much consideration, if any, Belichick has given to trading back into the first round?

I'm guessing very little, since it would almost certainly include both 60 and 61, but boy...wouldn't that be something if their plan included as much?

Slightly off topic, but I wonder how much consideration, if any, Belichick has given to trading back into the first round?

I'm guessing very little, since it would almost certainly include both 60 and 61, but boy...wouldn't that be something if their plan included as much?
If history is an indication of anything, we should assume Belichick and his team have canvassed every available scenario.

If history is an indication of anything, we should assume Belichick and his team have canvassed every available scenario.

I've got to admit that I'd rather have the double seconds and thirds, and am fairly happy with the situation all things considered.

That said, I'd love to see Belichick do it just for the "FU" aspect alone.

I've got to admit that I'd rather have the double seconds and thirds, and am fairly happy with the situation all things considered.

That said, I'd love to see Belichick do it just for the "FU" aspect alone.

Of course the extra 2nd round pick cost us Chandler Jones, so we are missing our #1 and Chandler Jones going into the draft.

I have a question, is it possible to strike a deal with some other team, for example team X drafts player we want with pick 20.,we draft two players they want with 60. and 61.,and trade them after, or is that illegal?

Poslano sa mog HTC One_M8 koristeći Tapatalk

I guess, I don't think it'd really be a **** you to the league or anything because they still had to use assets they shouldn't have had to. I doubt it happens, it'd have been more likely the reverse would have happened if we had the pick.

Their shortsightedness will be the demise of the NFL. They think they have the Pats between a rock and a hard place, but there are teams that the Pats can work around with in this draft to get a first rounder after the draft. I hope BB is stewing something like this to screw with their plans. What will it take to get say a tackle in the second half of the first round? A 2nd and a 3rd? Next years first?
The premise is that all these picks will be packaged after the draft.
Do it BB, lets screw them back.

Setting aside Belichick's history (or lack thereof) of making draft day trades to move up significantly in the 1st round, it is something that is improbable due to the circumstances of the punishment.

There is no way the Patriots trade for anything inside the top 25 because they would have to pay for a top 25 pick but would only receive #29. That leaves a very, very small window of opportunity of teams to trade with.

I am not saying it's impossible, but it realistically could only happen with the Broncos, Panthers, Cards, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks.

Complicating the matter is the fact that NE doesn't pick until late 2nd round. If they had, say, the 4th pick of the 2nd round I could see them moving up 5 spots. But given the fact that their first pick is #60 overall, I just don't see it happening.

In looking back at Defamegate, the concensus is that it was instigated, at least in part, because some owners felt the Pats hadn't been hobbled, er I mean punished enough during CameraPlacementGate.

Some felt the Pats should have lost the higher of the 1st round pick, which they had traded for the year before.

I can't think of a previous instance where a team was docked a draft pick that originally belonged to another team, and I wonder if that is even legal for the NFL* to do.

What is next if Defamegate fails to stop the Pats from winning?

Lowering their cap and forcing them to release players?

Oh, almost forgot, **** the NFL* !
Of course they can. They can do whatever they want. Just ask them. .... but please, please don't ever question their integrity

Of course the extra 2nd round pick cost us Chandler Jones, so we are missing our #1 and Chandler Jones going into the draft.

You mean the chandler jones who would have left after 2016 anyway?

In any field there are those who excel consistently, despite handicaps. It almost seems boredom is their biggest adversary.

We have two of those in Belichick and Brady. Brady is playing better as he gets older and Belichick is obviously playing a game to see how many misused number one picks from other teams he can convert into useful parts for another championship run.

Stevie Wonder was an incredibly cruel practical joker, outside of being a incredible Musician. Ray Charles had hits with country as well as soul and R&B and also drove a car, a motorcycle and flew and landed a plane [with a co-pilot, obviously].

Beethoven was sick, in pain most of his adult life and was gradually losing his hearing until he was stone deaf. He wrote greater symphonies and the greatest ever [IMO] when he was stone deaf.

My point is, there are exceptional competitors, you just shouldn't feck with, because it only makes the better, more determined and pissed off. It you steal every pick from Belichick, he will increase scouting until he steals every misused player and signs every free agent working at Popeyes and still wins a Super Bowl every few years.

Brady would play lefthanded and by game 11 still be the most clutch left handed QB in the league.

Goodell and the thanks dad, drug abusing, weasel owners will find out the hard way, you just don't feck with the greats. they paid the price, accepted all challenges and they won't let you up once they bury you.

Looking forward to the season.

I realize. I just think that the addition of the second helped the situation a good deal, as badly as it sucks in general.

I realize. I just think that the addition of the second helped the situation a good deal, as badly as it sucks in general.
I agree and appreciate the optimism, but I don't accept the arguments some have offered that BB has somehow compensated for the loss of a #1 pick. Although emotionally satisfying, they overlook the fact that--but for the biased, incompetent, and scientifically illiterate Goodell--BB could have had everything he has now AND his #1 pick. This is not to say that the Patriots cannot overcome the loss of a draft pick and win anyway; I think we all believe they can. But there is simply no denying that the loss of our #1 tilts the field against the Patriots and makes it that much more difficult.

Last edited:
I agree and appreciate the optimism, but I don't accept the arguments some have offered that BB has somehow compensated for the loss of a #1 pick. Although emotionally satisfying, they overlook the fact that--but for the biased, incompetent, and scientifically illiterate Goodell--BB could have had everything he has now AND his #1 pick. This is not to say that the Patriots cannot overcome the loss of a draft pick and win anyway; I think we all believe they can. But there is simply no denying that the loss of our #1 tilts the field against the Patriots and makes it that much more difficult.

No doubt. I didn't mean to suggest such, so maybe it was poor wording. I just feel much better about the situation with the addition of the second rounder, now having four picks in the top 96.

Obviously, it doesn't change anything in terms of wanting to spit in Goodell's face.

They did more than offset losing a 1st rounder this year.....losing that pick will not change their fortunes

Wow!!
jester.gif

You've written a lot of intensely stupid Crap in your pathetic and desperately attention-seeking Days here ~ where you evidently spend every waking hour ~ but that may've been the stupidest **** of it all!!
icon_lol.gif

Yeah!! Losing a 1st Rounder won't have any material affect on our Fortunes!! You bet!!
thumbsup2.gif
blinkNEW.gif
crazy.gif
laughspin.gif

Nobody's ever mistaken you for a Genius, kiddo, but my God!!
icon_lol.gif

Wow!!
jester.gif

You've written a lot of intensely stupid Crap in your pathetic and desperately attention-seeking Days here ~ where you evidently spend every waking hour ~ but that may've been the stupidest **** of it all!!
icon_lol.gif

Yeah!! Losing a 1st Rounder won't have any material affect on our Fortunes!! You bet!!
thumbsup2.gif
blinkNEW.gif
crazy.gif
laughspin.gif

Nobody's ever mistaken you for a Genius, kiddo, but my God!!
icon_lol.gif

thanks dude!!!

coming from you, I'll take it as a compliment

umm yeah.....2016 celts just like the 2001 pats.....LMFAO

There's no way of knowing exactly how the stolen draft picks have hurt the Pats, but there's a good chance that it has cost them at least one SB win and maybe another in the future. They've come pretty close and won one in spite of being handicapped.

There's no way of knowing exactly how the stolen draft picks have hurt the Pats, but there's a good chance that it has cost them at least one SB win and maybe another in the future. They've come pretty close and won one in spite of being handicapped.

not as certain as not getting a deion branch deal done in 2006 costing them the 2006 superbowl

Exactly.

Everybody with any Intelligence knows that the successful Teams are built primarily through the Draft, because The Infernal Salary Cap renders getting Top Talent playing for 5 Years for Pennies On The Dollar absolutely crucial to sustained Success. Having a 1st Rounder stolen from you ~ much less two 1st Rounders and a 4th ~ is a devastating Loss. A Team led by anyone less than Mad Bill would've been crippled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back