PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Nate Solder catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
If Vollmer does play....will allow Solder to be utilized in 3 TE sets. With Gronk questionable...any chance they could throw short passes to Solder....especially in red zone? Thoughts?

He can catch a cold

He can catch flies (rumor has it)

And I bet he can catch footballs fairly well as he was a TE.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an option during goal line situations. You know Bill loves guys who are versatile. Though trick plays have been few and far between, but if there's ever a game to try something they've worked on all season long, this is the time (situational football).

He was a TE in high school and his first 2 years at Colorado. He can catch, but he hasn't caught one in a game since his sophomore year.

This is not the game in which I want to find out.

I agree to an extent, but this is also the game you want to use plays that there are no tape on. If Solder can catch in practice, he can catch in a game. Most players say that once you get hit, or hit someone, for that first time, everything comes back to reality.

Exactly ... we are going to do what got us here unless the game dictates that we need to reach here and there.

He caught a punt at the practice I went to?

I agree to an extent, but this is also the game you want to use plays that there are no tape on. If Solder can catch in practice, he can catch in a game. Most players say that once you get hit, or hit someone, for that first time, everything comes back to reality.

I forget where I just read it, but a player was talking about how he's never blitzed in his career and then he blitzed twice in the Superbowl successfully bc they had no tape of him.

He can catch, but will he? For me, this is a question that keeps reoccurring. You think BB will go with his trusted and tried corp. Bam, goal line surprise! You have to believe he gets thrown to in practice, I think he even commented on that one time. There are a number of versatile Patriots that have trick plays to be unleashed. The question is will we see any on Sunday?

He's run routes more than once this season... more specifically against the Giants. I think he would be almost solely a goalline option because you don't want him handling the ball around tacklers. That said, I think we have a better chance pounding the ball in goalline situations than passing to an OT. But then again, if Vrabel kept slipping past defenses, it wouldn't be that hard for a starting OT to go incognito.

"Can he block as a TE?" is the real question

The answer BTW is yes.

I expect to see Solder at blocking TE a lot in the red zone or if the Giants pass rush is just too much. I dont think they'll call a play to get him the ball just because he is a rookie and the times when a defensive player ran a route it was always a veteran.

Solder can catch, but how about Ninkovich? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back