PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Malcom Butler be converted to safety?

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He is athletic and strong, can he be converted over to strong safety? I think he can be better than Chung at that position.

He is athletic and strong, can he be converted over to strong safety? I think he can be better than Chung at that position.

Chung has 20 lbs on him at this point ... and we're weaker at CB then SS right now IMO.
I would rather see what level Butler can achieve at CB right now ..............

Last edited:
Short answer, yes.

Coincidentally, it's the same answer to the question, "Can Jamie Collins be converted to DE?"

We lost both of are starting CBs and you want to convert our most promising young CB to strong safety?

Do you want to convert Sealver Siliga to an offensive lineman too?

Not trying to be a **** but come on there is no greater need than CB on this team right now. We have Chung, Harmon, and Wilson who can all fill that role opposite McCourty.

Why the hell would you want to move him? Did you just not see his ability in the 2nd half of the SB? Kid played arguably the best 2nd half of any DB in that game

And no that's not being hyperbolice over the INT.

Why the hell would you want to covert one the CBs to a safety?

Not at just under 5'10 and 186 lbs..

Not a bad proposition if this year's looks at CB are not impressive... down the road. For right now... well, there are still quite a few ticks left to free agency, but as stated above, he might well be a big part of the CB rotation come September, for better or worse. Right now I'm thinking we need him at CB more than safety.

He has extremely quick feet. I would hate to waste that at strong safety. If he can take a leap forward in the learning process he will play a significant role as a CB.

I see Chung has replaced Solder as the target of "how can we possibly replace this guy?"

Butler's strength seems to be quickness in man coverage. Why on god's green earth, having lost two CBs in the offseason, would you want to move one of your likely CB starters to safety?

What am I missing? The Pats haven't lost any safeties...

He can be converted to 3 1st round picks
-Bill Belichick

He competed throughout the year, had some downs and highs, great rookie year for an undated free agent and made an all time great play, but let's settle down he might not even make the roster he's not a lock was healthy scratch in some games last year too. Our CB depth is depleted right now so I hope he can make the team and improve from his rookie year, but right now I wouldn't put him at safety let him improve at CB

Of course, nobody is a "LOCK" to make the roster (ask Logan Mankins), but Malcolm Butler, on a team that lost two starting CBs in free agency, having played well throughout his rookie season spectacularly well in the second half of the SuperBowl, with a 2015 salary of $510,000 is as close to a lock as you can get. He would have to really eff up between now and August to not make the opening day 53 man roster. I think he is very likely to be one of the three starting CBs. He's certainly more of a lock than any hypothetical draft-pick CB.

The question is how well he will play next year, not whether or not he is on the team. I expect McCourty to take him under his wing and get him out to Phoenix for the Pats offseason DB camp.

If some people on this board had their way, we would convert all our cornerbacks to safeties.

if we are going by what is on the roster right now and Chandler Jones, Easley. Chris Jones, Ninkovich and Sheard don't have big years it will be a average pass rush with below average CB's so I am sure the pats will try everything they can to get off the field like playing butler vs a TE like a SS would but I don't see him as a full time starting SS

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back