Can Hoyer keep up the UDFA string?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Despite the perpetually deep roster, a UDFA makes the Pats' 53 straight out of camp every year:

2005: Mike Wright
2006: Pierre Woods
2007: Matt Gutierrez
2008: Gary Guyton

It's a great symbol of how BB looks past draft status and "names" to assemble the team...and it's also a great recruiting tool when you're jostling to sign priority UDFAs.

But good luck this year, kids. As far as I can tell, it's Brian Hoyer or bust. Does anybody see another UDFA with even the remotest shot at a roster spot?

Despite the perpetually deep roster, a UDFA makes the Pats' 53 straight out of camp every year:

2005: Mike Wright
2006: Pierre Woods
2007: Matt Gutierrez
2008: Gary Guyton

It's a great symbol of how BB looks past draft status and "names" to assemble the team...and it's also a great recruiting tool when you're jostling to sign priority UDFAs.

But good luck this year, kids. As far as I can tell, it's Brian Hoyer or bust. Does anybody see another UDFA with even the remotest shot at a roster spot?
What about Randall Gay in 2004?

2002? Steven Neal? Pretty sure he wasn't drafted. Anyone know about Shawn mayer in 2003?

2001 We had a couple of DT's that were UFDAs, I think. Jase Saylor was one.

Did Tuitele get picked up in 2000? Or was it 1999 or 2001? Is there a place to find UDFAs by year?

How far back IS the Pats record?

Last edited:
2002? Steven Neal? Pretty sure he wasn't drafted. Anyone know about Shawn mayer in 2003?

Neal didn't make the 53 directly, he bounced around a bit (maybe to the Eagles?)

Mayer was definitely a UDFA, but I can't recall for certain whether he made the team week 1.

Even though there is typically about a 20% turnover of the roster every year, if there is one season that no undrafted free agents make the roster then this would be it. Without looking up the stats (and I'm sure somebody will very quickly correct me if I am wrong) there seems to be (a) fewer free agents that left the team this year than in the past; (b) more veteran free agent signings than veteran free agent departures this offseason; and (c) more rookies drafted this year than are typically drafted in the past. In other words training camp roster position "X" that in past years was an UDFA will now be a 6th or 7th round draft pick this year; that slot that previously would have gone to an UDFA will most likely go to a second day draft pick in 2009.

Even though there is typically about a 20% turnover of the roster every year, if there is one season that no undrafted free agents make the roster then this would be it. Without looking up the stats (and I'm sure somebody will very quickly correct me if I am wrong) there seems to be (a) fewer free agents that left the team this year than in the past; (b) more veteran free agent signings than veteran free agent departures this offseason; and (c) more rookies drafted this year than are typically drafted in the past. In other words training camp roster position "X" that in past years was an UDFA will now be a 6th or 7th round draft pick this year

It's a good point -- with so many draft picks, there just aren't that many UDFAs in camp, period.

So come on, Hoyer! How hard can it be to beat out that Gutierrez fellow? Heck he wasn't even drafted! ;)

I think Hoyer will get a serious look... will he be around for the PS ? Maybe more realistic than the 53. But who knows ?

Last edited:
I think Hoyer will get a serious look... will he be around for the PS ? Maybe more realistic than the 53. But who knows ?

On the flip side, remember the league incentivizes carrying three QBs. . . .

You're right - hadn't considered - good call. I wonder if Gutz will pull out another season... he's been doing it against all odds before.

Yeah, and this could be manipulated by wildcat teams.

Even the pats could take advantage. Make KOC the third string QB. Doesn't count against 45 man roster but is available 4th qtr and eariler if need be.

Edelman can play WR and KR and can come in to hand the ball off if Brady gets his bell rung and is out a couple of plays. If Brady gets hurt and cannot come back into the game, then KOC can come in and play.

Assuming Brady doesn't get another knee ripped apart, the end result is that you've moved the clipboard-carry KOC off the 45 man roster and added a WR/STer without losing your backup capability.

A camp observation from the Planet reported Gutierrez tracking down one of his receivers to provide remedial route running instruction (which was promptly overridden when Coach O'Brien jumped salty on the receiver in question), so Gute is off to a good start, especially with O'Connell warming up with a couple ints. No real Hoyer news that I've read from anyone yet...

A camp observation from the Planet reported Gutierrez tracking down one of his receivers to provide remedial route running instruction (which was promptly overridden when Coach O'Brien jumped salty on the receiver in question), so Gute is off to a good start, especially with O'Connell warming up with a couple ints. No real Hoyer news that I've read from anyone yet...
I think KOC's INTs are insignificant. It will take a really bad camp to displace him from #2, and even then, let's not forget the BB lesson we learned from Cassel last camp. If he thinks a guy is the better choice, he is not going to make decisions based on INTs thrown in camp. Or even in exhibition games.

I think KOC's INTs are insignificant. It will take a really bad camp to displace him from #2, and even then, let's not forget the BB lesson we learned from Cassel last camp. If he thinks a guy is the better choice, he is not going to make decisions based on INTs thrown in camp. Or even in exhibition games.
Day 1.1 interceptions are most certainly insignificant and I'd be very surprised if Gute passed O'Con on the depth chart. That said, compiling the various camp reporting, O'Con struggled a bit today, Gute didn't really register for most, but I like to see young QBs taking charge and working on getting things right with their receivers and I do want Gute to push O'Con hard just as I want Hoyer to push Gute hard.

I seem to recall Cassel getting a handful (at least) of INTs last year around this time... but he still got the $$$ in the end (as well as the last laugh, I guess).

I'd like to see Hoyer at least make the PS. It's important to keep developing QBs.

Sounds like Nunn is making a bid for UDFA consideration.

Sounds like Nunn is making a bid for UDFA consideration.

I happened to be in great position to watch Nunn's bee-yootiful catch at camp today. But...he's a FA not UDFA (second TC), so he doesn't count. :snob:

I happened to be in great position to watch Nunn's bee-yootiful catch at camp today. But...he's a FA not UDFA (second TC), so he doesn't count. :snob:
No picking on Nebraska educational standards Ms. Wesleyan snobette. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back