PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Gutierrez clear waivers to PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE needs three QBs: starter (Brady), developmental (O'Connell), and a backup who can play if the starter gets hurt (?). Unless Gutierrez can fill the backup role he doesn't really have a spot on NE's 53.

Exactly, someone gets it! The backup will be Cassel. If you can find a better
one let me know but O'Connell isn't it (yet).

Ehhh.... people here are pimping Gutierrez and bashing Cassel, but Gutierrez' passer rating, against lesser competition, isn't exactly impressive either, and he's tossed as many int's as has Cassel. I'm not sure there will be a barrage of teams knocking on his door.

Gutierrez is a second year developmental player. Cassel is a fourth year #2 QB. There is just a lot more to be expected from Cassel than Gutierrez. Besides, Gutierrez didn't play the last game when the line played better overall. If Brady doesn't play on Friday we will see plenty of him and Cassel.

Is he eleigible?

I was wondering why Gutierrez didn't see any action last Sunday night? Could it be that Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli think they can get Gutierrez through waivers and onto the Practice Squad easier than O'Connell (a 3rd Round Drfat Pick)?

I also remember that Gutierrez played some special teams last year and that he was the #2 QB with Cassel as the #3 (emergency) QB. Gutierrez is almost TE size and speed. At 6' 4" 230, he is only 18 lbs ligher than Dave Thomas. He is also faster I believe.

Just a thought.

You've got the wrong guy.

As a result of Leinart's success, Cassel spent time at tight end, even making his lone collegiate start at that position.

Problem solved, third TE.

If the guy has shown any kind of spark, I could see a team ditching their own #3 and picking him and taking a chance. But you'd be jettisoning a guy you've already put the time in for who knows your system just to replace him with someone "because he was on the Patriots"? Because really there would be no other reason for a team to pick him up other than some sort of perceived Patriots pedigree. If this guy was the #3 (or #4, let's be honest) QB for the Lions, he wouldn't get a sniff once he is cut. And I don't think he'll get a sniff when the Pats cut him.

You are talking about a #3 QB. If you think Gutierrez has more potential than your #3 QB, of course you jettison him. How much time does the #3 QB actually get in practices or games anyway? You have a #3 QB to develop for the future so in a year or two they might have a shot at #2.

Besides, some teams have seventh round picks (Matt Flynn in Green Bay) or undrafted rookies (Caleb Hanie in Chicago, Jeff Rowe in Cincy, Richard Bartel in Dallas, Alex brink in Houston, John David Booty in Minnesotta, Tyler Palko in NO, and Dennis Dixon in Pittsburgh) as their #3 QB. Realistically, how much more of the system do they know than Guttieriez. Or you have a team like the Panthers who added their #3 QB (Lester Ricard anyone?!? Anyone heard of him) late this year because of injuries.

So there are eight teams with rookies as their #3 QB who were either drafted in the seventh round or not at all. Are you going to tell that all of these guys even if they know the system are even good enough to stick around as the #3 QB. You gotta think at a minimum 2-3 of these guys have their NFL career end in two weeks, maybe more. I can see Gutierrez potentially added to one of those rosters if he is waived.

Last edited:
You ARE kidding right?????

Five consecutive posts and your comments say absolutely nothing or offer nothing to the discussion.

If kept, he could be a third TE as well as clipboard holder on the sideline. My point is that he is an athlete and that he is taller, faster and just 18 lbs lighter than your #2 TE.

I don't believe Gutierrez will clear waivers. Last year the rumor was Gutierrez was kept because the Patriots did not believe he would clear waivers. If he wouldn't clear waivers last year, I don't think there's any chance he would clear them this year (barring terrible play the next 2 weeks).

I think the Patriots might try to stash a QB on IR to prevent having to cut one of the 4. Of course nobody will go on IR with a minor injury if they have a split contract and will make less on IR.

If nobody gets hurt, I think someone will get cut/traded. I can't imagine the Patriots keeping 4 QB's on their roster with the injuries on the Oline and the age of some of the defensive players...they need that roster spot for a contributing palyer.

It's assumed because Cassel has been #2, he's better than Gutierrez.

Gutierrez actually won the job at Michigan, a very competitive school (just ask Brady) before getting hurt.

also...

Lettered in football at DeLaSalle High School ... never lost a game at DeLaSalle ... he went 252-of-456 for 5,032 yards and 64 touchdowns, with just nine interceptions ... his high school quarterback rating was 190.4, and it was 206.7 as a senior ... tossed five touchdowns in the CIF North Coast 4A championship ... was ranked amongst the top 100 high school recruits by both SuperPrep Magazine and Rivals.100.com.

So who's the better prospect?

Cassel never lost a game at USC.

I think the Patriots might try to stash a QB on IR to prevent having to cut one of the 4.

Well, let's see...

Not Brady, obviously.
Clearly counterproductive for O'Connell, who needs the practice to be groomed for the #2 role.
Pointless for Cassel, who will be a UFA at the end of the season.
So "a QB" = Matt Gutierrez.

But if Gutierrez is valuable enough to play games to keep, then he's valuable enough to work on developing. Remember, this is a guy with very limited college experience. If you IR him this year, it just lessens the chance he'll be valuable next year. I'd rather take my chances that he'll make it to the PS where he could learn and grow rather than just waste him on IR.

No way Gutierrez clears waivers, Tampa would claim him in a heartbeat. Have you seen how thin they are at QB?

I believe that we will get a definitive answer to the question, "Will Gutz clear waivers?" this month.

I can think of 13 teams that would pick him up.

You are off by.......exactly 13.
What would make a team want to pick him up?
No one drafted him last year. Since no one drafted him there has been a grand total of zero things that he has done to change anyones opinion.
NFL teams keep 3rd QBs as insurance. The insurance policy is no matter how good the guy is, he went through camp learning our system and working with our players.
The role of a 3rd QB during the season is to run the scout team, and take exactly zero snaps in practice running the offense.
So which 13 teams think their #3 QB is so bad that they wold rather have a guy they didn't like in the draft, know nothing about and he knows nothing about their system or playbook, and wont even run any of their plays in practice?
To think Matt G would not clear waivers is one of the most uninformed opinions ever spouted on this board.

I don't believe Gutierrez will clear waivers. Last year the rumor was Gutierrez was kept because the Patriots did not believe he would clear waivers. If he wouldn't clear waivers last year, I don't think there's any chance he would clear them this year (barring terrible play the next 2 weeks).

I think the Patriots might try to stash a QB on IR to prevent having to cut one of the 4. Of course nobody will go on IR with a minor injury if they have a split contract and will make less on IR.

If nobody gets hurt, I think someone will get cut/traded. I can't imagine the Patriots keeping 4 QB's on their roster with the injuries on the Oline and the age of some of the defensive players...they need that roster spot for a contributing palyer.

Those rumors were from the people on this board who year after year post the same fear of every player on our roster not clearing waivers. It TOTALLY conflicts with the evidence that is as simple as reading a transaction history.
If anyone would like, please compile a list of all rookies cut who did not clear waivers across the NFL in the last 5 years, and all undrafted QBs who have never played a meaningful down in the NFL.
It may take some time to research, but it will take about 35 seconds to type the list.

You are off by.......exactly 13.
What would make a team want to pick him up?
No one drafted him last year. Since no one drafted him there has been a grand total of zero things that he has done to change anyones opinion.
NFL teams keep 3rd QBs as insurance. The insurance policy is no matter how good the guy is, he went through camp learning our system and working with our players.
The role of a 3rd QB during the season is to run the scout team, and take exactly zero snaps in practice running the offense.
So which 13 teams think their #3 QB is so bad that they wold rather have a guy they didn't like in the draft, know nothing about and he knows nothing about their system or playbook, and wont even run any of their plays in practice?
To think Matt G would not clear waivers is one of the most uninformed opinions ever spouted on this board.

Finally, another sane post. Not only will Matt G. clear waivers, but he should consider himself fortunate if he even land on the Pats PS.

Those rumors were from the people on this board who year after year post the same fear of every player on our roster not clearing waivers. It TOTALLY conflicts with the evidence that is as simple as reading a transaction history.
If anyone would like, please compile a list of all rookies cut who did not clear waivers across the NFL in the last 5 years, and all undrafted QBs who have never played a meaningful down in the NFL.
It may take some time to research, but it will take about 35 seconds to type the list.

I remember reading the rumor at ProFootballWeekly, not on this board. There are rookies claimed off waivers all the time. Check out the NFL transaction wire 1-3 days following roster cuts to 53, you will see a lot of guys with limited/zero experience being claimed. Remember last year when the Patriots claimed undrafted LB David Herron from the Vikings in response to the Vikings claiming Garrett Mills? How about the Cowboys claiming Justin Rogers?

Tyler Thigpen was a 7th round draft pick by the Vikings last year and he was claimed off waivers by the Chiefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots