PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Goodell put an end to Spygate tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me tell you something, my friend. The culture around both the outlets you're talking about might be "Ha ha ha Cheatriots" right now. But the moment the hot story is any other perspective, the minute the way to sell news is to say otherwise, they will drift on that wind.

This isn't like a paper like the Moonie Times in Washington or a station like Fox having to report a right wing spin. These guys live to sell the station or the paper, and their living consists of filling air time and column inches, in this case, with a non-story.... but the moment the easiest way to successfully sell the advertisements is another spin they'll take it.

Just an opinion.

PFnV

Personally, they scare me more than anyone on the list because they have single handily done more damage than anyone to the Patriots even Tomase in Spygate Act II and they aren't even pretending to hide their anti-Patriot bias anymore.

Except that they had twp reporters working full time for a month trying to dig up any and all dirt they could on the Patriots and they got NOTHING.
I cant imagine them spending more resources on this after what they just did.

Let me tell you something, my friend. The culture around both the outlets you're talking about might be "Ha ha ha Cheatriots" right now. But the moment the hot story is any other perspective, the minute the way to sell news is to say otherwise, they will drift on that wind.

This isn't like a paper like the Moonie Times in Washington or a station like Fox having to report a right wing spin. These guys live to sell the station or the paper, and their living consists of filling air time and column inches, in this case, with a non-story.... but the moment the easiest way to successfully sell the advertisements is another spin they'll take it.

Just an opinion.

PFnV

But both outlets have seen that they have been successful in creating this story. Although Tomase gets the blame for reigniting Spygate, it was the Times and then a follow up by ESPN that really reignited this. The Times have already shown that they intend on digging to try to find other allegations of cheating against the Patriots.

I think Specter has been waiting for Goodell to say the words "Our investigation is complete" before he really starts with the guns blazing allegeding cover ups, leads not followed, and evidence ignored. While Goodell still has the case open, it is hard for Specter to really gain traction on this point. Once it is all over then he can really cut loose.

The Times and ESPN will be at the forefront of that and the Times especially have already shown they are going throw the rules of journalism out the window.

I wasn't that worried about this until this weekend where the Times wrote that disgusting piece about the rules committee and the Patriots and not one media person outside of New England other than Mike Florio said a peep about it. When the Times wrote a similiarly salacious piece about John McCain, even some of the liberal Democratic pundits came to his defense. Where was that for the Patriots yesterday or today?

Except that they had twp reporters working full time for a month trying to dig up any and all dirt they could on the Patriots and they got NOTHING.
I cant imagine them spending more resources on this after what they just did.

What nothing? That article on Sunday was very damaging to the Patriots. The appearance of wrong doing is sometimes more powerful than actual evidence of wrong doing. The Patriots have been tried and convicted for months on the "FACT" that Walsh had the tape of the Rams walkthrough and he was going to bury the Pats with it.

I can see the NYT writing slanderous articles from now until eternity unless there is a backlash after the affect of this weekend's pieces. It got a lot of coverage locally and nationally. That is what they want. The NYT has been the news breaker of every major piece of information since the week before the Super Bowl. They were the ones who broke what was on the tapes last week.

I think Specter has been waiting for Goodell to say the words "Our investigation is complete" before he really starts with the guns blazing allegeding cover ups, leads not followed, and evidence ignored. While Goodell still has the case open, it is hard for Specter to really gain traction on this point. Once it is all over then he can really cut loose.

Really? What leads not followed (e.g., ~50 interviews all leading to the same conclusion--that there was no nefarious action by the Patriots, since even the videotaping was done out in the open)? What evidence ignored? Baseless rumors and accusations that make no sense whatsoever (e.g., Rich Gannon claiming in 2007 that he heard audiotapes of the Raiders audibles from the Snow Bowl game . . . in 2002--and said nothing at the time about it)?

About the one thing truly working in the Pats' favor right now is that outside of New England, there really isn't anyone who would actively suppress incriminating evidence. So, given that nothing credible has come from this in eight months, I doubt anything else will.

Last edited:
What nothing? That article on Sunday was very damaging to the Patriots. The appearance of wrong doing is sometimes more powerful than actual evidence of wrong doing. The Patriots have been tried and convicted for months on the "FACT" that Walsh had the tape of the Rams walkthrough and he was going to bury the Pats with it.

I can see the NYT writing slanderous articles from now until eternity unless there is a backlash after the affect of this weekend's pieces. It got a lot of coverage locally and nationally. That is what they want. The NYT has been the news breaker of every major piece of information since the week before the Super Bowl. They were the ones who broke what was on the tapes last week.

Thats the slant they took but there was no meat there. A rational person ( I know, outside of NE theres not many) can see theres nothing new there.
I fully expect the Patriots the come out with guns blazing soon.

Thats the slant they took but there was no meat there. A rational person ( I know, outside of NE theres not many) can see theres nothing new there.

I found this quote from Mike Reiss's piece (candy allusion intended) this am somewhat bothersome:

The Rams' walkthrough won't be the only topic of discussion this morning, as Goodell will be seeking more information about the Patriots' taping of opposing signals. If Walsh provides more damaging detail and evidence in addition to what the NFL has already uncovered, it could lead to more penalties against the team.

I assume he means that the "damaging detail" will have to be accompanied by evidence--though what evidence means in this circus is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
Really? What leads not followed (e.g., ~50 interviews all leading to the same conclusion--that there was no nefarious action by the Patriots, since even the videotaping was done out in the open)? What evidence ignored? Baseless rumors and accusations that make no sense whatsoever (e.g., Rich Gannon claiming in 2007 that he heard audiotapes of the Raiders audibles from the Snow Bowl game . . . in 2002--and said nothing at the time about it)?

About the one thing truly working in the Pats' favor right now is that outside of New England, there really isn't anyone who would actively suppress incriminating evidence. So, given that nothing credible has come from this in eight months, I doubt anything else will.

What evidence ignored? The evidence on the tapes destroyed by Goodell. It was clear that they had other evidence on it, that is why Goodell destroyed them so quickly. Or at least that is how Specter will spin it. And many people across the country agree with him.

What leads not followed? The fact that Ernie Adams is the Patriots spy and has been doing covert crap for Belichick since Cleveland. Or that is what Walsh is going to tell Specter.

Are people living in a bubble here? The general perception across the country is that the Patriots are massive cheaters that go beyond videotaping defensive signals and Goodell covered it up to save his friend's arses (Kraft).

Nothing credible has come of the investigation so far, but Belichick's, Kraft's, and the Patriots' reputations have been severly damaged. Even with no walkthrough tape, there is a significant segment of the population who still believe it was filmed.

Are you seeing what is going on out there? There is an organized campaign to bring down the Patriots. They don't look to be stopping until they find the dirt. Even if they find an example of a very minor rule violation, they are going to turn it into the worst thing done by a football team in history. And the public would eat it up. That is the danger in all of this moving forward.

Yeah, but a rational person would say that the fact that the Pats taped offensive signals against the Dolphins is not new evidence against them and covered by the original punishment. Yet, the NYT, Mike Fish of ESPN, the Sports Reporters, Fox Sports, and several other news sources have stated that it is new evidence and the Patriots should be further punished up to a year's suspension for Belichick.

As for the Patriots coming out with guns blazing, everything they have stated in public so far has been spun against them by the media. I assume that will continue.

You do know that the Globe is owned by the New York Times Company, right?
Yes, I do, and the Worcester Telegram and Gazette is also owned by the Times and its editorial and philosophical stances couldn't be further away from those of the Times.

Actually, the New York Times is the most influential. They are responsible for bringing Matt Walsh to the public light and bringing Arlen Specter into this whole thing.

Personally, they scare me more than anyone on the list because they have single handily done more damage than anyone to the Patriots even Tomase in Spygate Act II and they aren't even pretending to hide their anti-Patriot bias anymore.

That is why I have been advocating today (against protest of others) the Patriots cutting off all access to all NYT publications including the Boston Globe. The NYT won't stop until Belichick is suspended and they have Arlen Specter as an ally. Yet, the Pats make them money by giving exclusive access to their own paper in the Boston Globe. Yes, Mike Reiss is a very good writer and a fair, maybe even sympathetic ear, but every exclusive he gets fuels the Times to run a counter piece that makes them money with additional readership on both ends. Maybe if the Globe loses access because of the NYT actions, they will back off because money is king.

People have been calling for a boycott of the Herald, but we should be really boycotting the Globe. The Globe through their parent company have conducted a systematic war against the Patriots and are winning in the court of public opinion. Tomase's piece did damage, but he has not constantly hit the Patriots with blow after blow like the NYT.

I think most people outside of the immediate NY area understand the nature of a massive news chronicle like the NY Times and their basic intent. Which is to SELL news and MAKE MONEY. They certainly influence. No arguing that. But not rational, objectively thinking minds, specifically in the sports world, like Peter King does. King isnt worried about selling stories, but rather telling them. He's not worried about making money. He's about as respected a sports reporter by his peers and within the entire sports industry as any newsman alive. His opinion is valued. Its not influenced by its immediate market. You see the difference? Or at least my view of the difference? And why I think King's opinions are FAR more relevant to the country's audiences that the NY Times.

King thinks this thing is done. And other reasonable, rational voices will agree. And collectively, they'll channel this story in the right direcetion, which is out the door. Who cares what the NY Times wants to do? In this situation, they hardly represent the perspective of an objective reasonable viewpoint. Why would we really concern ourselves with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down