Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can Gholston play ILB?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by BradyManny, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0

Forgive me, I don't watch enough college football to really know how well transitions to pro go, but is there any chance Gholston can move to ILB in the Pats 3-4 system if we were to get him?
  2. Handel

Handel Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That would under use his pass rushing skills. But if Tedy Bruschi was able to go from DE to ILB, he could the same. But it would be a wasted pick imo.
  3. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0

OK, thanks for the input. My line of thinking is that by what I've read he seems like he could end up being the guy worth using the 7th pick on, but we've already got our 2 starting OLBs and then Thomas, who can play OLB at a high-level as well. So with that line of thinking...where does that leave room for Gholston?
  4. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm not sure he has the frame to handle the physical pounding he would get inside.
  5. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

sure if u wanna take away his best assets..a pass rusher.
  6. Mr.Muhozi

Mr.Muhozi Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

apperently the jets want him, that can be good, after watching his highlight reel, he looks like a good playmaker
  7. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0

Then if you drafted him, what would you do? Move Vrabel to ILB? Cut Colvin and use the $$ to sign an ILB?
  8. Handel

Handel Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If the Pats want to get an interior linebacker, it will be in the later rounds, not in the first. There is no talented potential ILB in the top 10. Even in the top 15.
  9. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Thomas and Vrabel inside with Colvin and Gholston on outside. Resign Bruschi/Seau (1) to help come in and give breathers.

plus no guarantee that Gholston would start right away here as he is making a transition in a tough system.

theres a lot of combos we can make with the LBs we have.
  10. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

are you a supporter of the ghoslton pick?
  11. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

yes. Him or McKelvin @ #7 :)
  12. Handel

Handel Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm with you this...

For now (things can evolve until april)
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  13. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Neither.

Vrabel, Colvin (hopefully an extended Colvin), and Gholston or another OLB draft pick would be a very, very good trio to rotate and keep healthy (similar to the '04 rotation of Vrabel, Willie, and Colvin). Then I'd like Thomas back in the middle (not exclusively, mind you, just for the most part) with Bruschi/Seau (why not both as bit players?) and a young, second or third round ILB. I don't follow enough college ball to say who should be picked, but if there are LBs available worthy of those picks, those would be my ideal draft targets (LBs, LBs, LBs!). Or we could pursue a FA ILB, but unless the Pats have their eyes on one of the "second-tier" free agents who they feel can come in and really contribute, or one of the big names comes comparatively cheap, I don't think they will be going in that direction this year.

I would like to see a gifted athlete at corner capable of bumping and running with a receiver; enough of this soft zone shi te. For me the secondary is just that, though, as the focus should be on the front seven and the ability to play fundamental football in the running game and to absolutely tear the hell out of opposing offensive lines.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  14. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0

ILB is a main concern this offseason, but maybe AD + Bruschi/Seau + draftees is enough.
  15. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That's not a bad combo there. Makes you think if we can resign Seau and Bruschi we'll draft a CB otherwise it's Gholston
  16. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Can he play PERIOD!:?:rolleyes:
  17. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bring in Dan Morgan. Enough about his concussions. He was out last year with an achilles. He has given his coconut 2 years to get unscambled. In a rotation he would exceed all of our expectations, IMO.
  18. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, the Pats had McGinest and Vrabel a few years ago and still signed Colvin so in your hypothetical scenario, Gholston would be in the rotation as a situational OLB.

I'll echo the sentiments of other posters who've already stated that moving him inside as a developmental project would be a waste of a top ten pick. Should the Pats draft the guy with the 7th, they'd still need another ILB playing next to AD. And if I'm getting your inference right, I do agree though that the Pats need another game-changing playmaker at the ILB position.
  19. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm a big supporter of Gholston. I say draft him unless the Jets grab him first. He's probably the closest your get to a comparison of DeMarcus Ware or Shawne Merriman.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.