PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Celtics acquire Darko?

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Orlando may prefer to acquire Rashard Lewis instead of keep Darko. Can Ratliff'scontract be used to facilitate this? There are others more cap conscious than I. Milicic has great potential as a shot blocker; he could become the defensive big man the team needs. Just a thought.

CNN Sports had a list of the 20 top free agents. Out of all of them my preference would be Darko. He has a more upside then any and still fairly young.

Orlando may prefer to acquire Rashard Lewis instead of keep Darko. Can Ratliff'scontract be used to facilitate this? There are others more cap conscious than I. Milicic has great potential as a shot blocker; he could become the defensive big man the team needs. Just a thought.

http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

"In a surprising development, the Orlando Magic did not contact Darko Milicic's camp when NBA free agency officially began at 12:01 a.m. today. The Magic had said they wanted to re-sign Milicic, but by late this afternoon they had yet to call Marc Cornstein, Milicic's agent. Orlando Sentinel

Cornstein conceded he was surprised, because a team's call to a free agents after the courting period begins is seen as at least a good-will gesture, if not an actual precursor to negotiating. Cornstein told the Sentinel he received calls from more than 10 other teams today about Milicic, including "a few" who made offers, but added, "Curious by their absence was the Orlando Magic." Orlando Sentinel"

i could not hurt...what the hell, why not make an offer to him. If he reaches his potential and plays well, then we win...if he does not reach potential, then we still suck.

Darko is a restricted FA, so the Magic will have the right to match any offer made. The C's could offer him a full MLE with a 15% trade kicker (ala Blount), but the Magic would match it, and Darko wouldn't sign for that kind of cash (6 years and $40 million or so). Darko's camp want Tyson Chandler/Semual Delambert money, meaning $10 million+ over 5-6 years. I'm not sure anyone is going to give him that kind of money, but in this league, you never know. That being said, the C's could do a couple of things, as I too am intrigued by Darko.

#1 They could give in to his demands and pay him $10+ million a year. They would have to do this via a sign and trade since the Celtics are over the cap. Orlando would therefore have to take back an equivalent amount of salary in return. This would be possible because the C's have Theo's $11.6 million salary which expires after the coming season. However, Orlando isn't going to do the C's, an eastern conference rival, any favors by taking on $12 million for nothing. So, the C's would have to give something to Orlando to make it worth their while. Think Theo's contract and a 1st round pick, or Theo with a player like Tony Allen or Ryan Gomes. So, you'd be sending out Theo + either Gomes, or Tony Allen, or a future 1st round pick, and receiving Darko, with his 4 or 5 year deal at $40-50 million bucks.

YIKES!

#2 They could offer him the full MLE (5 years about $38-40 million) and hope that the Magic don't match it. This would have to happen ASAP, since Orlando would lose the first year total of the deal from it's current cap space. The Magic are +/- $12 million under the cap, and would be $12 million - $5.6 million, or $6-7 million under the cap if they matched. This would severely hinder their ability to sign a major free agent like Rashard Lewis. Of course, Darko wouldn't sign for the full MLE until he sees that no one is going to give him $10 million per.

I wouldn't go over the MLE limit for Darko.
As you pointed out, trying to do so would require some kind of trade because the Celtics are over the cap. I'm not giving away talent to sign Darko.
If he won't settle for the MLE, try to sign Magloire instead.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back