Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can anyone remember a team who won a SuperBowl with this many notable injuries?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRlOT, Dec 21, 2013.

1. PATRlOT

PATRlOT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just wondering...

All these injuries are really making me sick.
  2. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +324 / 10 / -1

#87 Jersey

2010 Packers.
  3. Archeryaddict12

Archeryaddict12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Packers. Lets do it but with the #2 seed unlike the 6 seed.
  4. PATRlOT

PATRlOT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did the 2010 Packers really have losses as big as Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer?

Unfortunately I think we're worse off. I still believe we can get it done though.
  5. Brady6

Brady6 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +888 / 88 / -131

#12 Jersey

The 2010 Packers had a lot of injuries in terms of total players I do not think they had the same magnitude of players injured however.
  6. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

In order to answer this question we will need to quantify the injustices somehow...cap number is one way...and also if we make distinctions between IR, or if we also count missed time

Other things that are looked at is number of starters or different starting griups
  7. Mark12

Mark12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I kinda agree that the Packer's injuries weren't as severe in terms of talent as the Pats' injuries this year. Here's a list Cheesehead Sports Nut.com: Ranking Injured Reserve List for 2010 Green Bay Packers

Gronk, Mayo, Vollmer, and Wilfork are all pro-bowlers and elite in their positions while the injuries the Packers endured were starters but not necessarily elite.

If we somehow end up winning the Super Bowl (crosses fingers), this will be more impressive than the 2010 Packers in my opinion.
  8. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0

They kind of did. Finley was basically their Gronk. Nick Barnett was kind of their Mayo. Lost, at the time, star rb Ryan Grant. Then they lost a few offensive and defensive linemen along the way.

Hell, they even had someone that was competing with Hernandez when it comes to the law. They lost starting dt Johnny Jolly according to wikipedia on July 8, 2008 due to codeine charges. He just got back into the league this year.
  9. Mark12

Mark12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

WOW the similarities are outstanding :eek: Destiny? :D
  10. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +588 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

What matters is not which players you lost, but how you did covering for the losses. As we did in 2003, we've done pretty well. Obviously can't replace Gronk, but if Dobson and Hooman play as well as they have, we replace some of that production.

I think we're about average at DT is Siliga stays stout and that's about the best we could hope for. There's no replacing Vince and Kelly short term. We probably play mostly sub anyway.

If we integrate Collins and Fletcher more, we should be OK at LB, again with playing more sub. Doesn't help coverage issues, but maybe will when those two play more passing downs.

Vereen hasn't had much chance to play with another dangerous receiver like Dobson. If defenses can't key on him, amendola or Edelman, maybe we get that precision short passing game again.

Nobody has offensive line depth in the NFL from what I've seen. In Dante I trust.

If Talib has his bounce, our secondary is pretty good.

2003 team had 42 different starters, so there's that.
  11. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

It's important to keep in mind that the Vince we saw this season was not the same Vince we were accustomed to. It seemed he was playing hurt from the start. So while losing Vince is obviously a big deal, he was not playing at his customary level at any point this season. They lost a starting tackle this year, not the best nose tackle in the game. He has not been that since the AFC Title Game last year, for whatever reason.

Get in to the tournament, survive and advance. That's the name of the game.
  12. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +588 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I agree, but a hobbled Wilfork still beats what we have. Nevertheless, I think they are average which probably is enough if they make plays elsewhere.
  13. Archeryaddict12

Archeryaddict12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I hope it is destiny to win it all. If they did, I could feel better about 42&46.