PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can anyone explain how/if the draft affects the Salary Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I always assumed the draft selections are signed and some part of their deals must fall under the cap THIS year, no?

Just trying to understand if having so many picks affects the cap negatively.

When does the significant/ridiculous $$ deal drop off in the draft? Second round?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Certainly does. Initially the Rule of 51 applies, once preseason is over and final cutdowns are made it all applies. patscap.com is the place to go and browse Miguel's FAQ section. The good news is the kids won't be signed until July and won't count against the cap until they do.

Certainly does. Initially the Rule of 51 applies, once preseason is over and final cutdowns are made it all applies. patscap.com is the place to go and browse Miguel's FAQ section. The good news is the kids won't be signed until July and won't count against the cap until they do.

Moreover, JSn, each team is assigned a rookie cap, as part of their overall cap, based on the positions in which they select players in the draft. All the 2009 salary + pro-rated 2009 bonus portions for their drafted rookies has to fit into that rookie cap. [Notably, however, UDFA salaries do not count against the rookie cap, although I believe any bonuses given to UDFAs do.]

Duh, I didn't even think to look at Miguel's page. I am shamed and my family after me... :(

So the rookie signing and the (temporary) franchising of Matt Cassel don't have to get in each other's way, that's good news.

Strange that Rookie UDFA's don't go under the Rookie cap. Is that Cap separate of the salary cap, or just some portion of it?

Duh, I didn't even think to look at Miguel's page. I am shamed and my family after me... :(

So the rookie signing and the (temporary) franchising of Matt Cassel don't have to get in each other's way, that's good news.

Strange that Rookie UDFA's don't go under the Rookie cap. Is that Cap separate of the salary cap, or just some portion of it?

It's a dedicated portion of the overall salary cap, kinda like taxes taken out of a pay cheque. (Did I spell that right? :D)

It's a dedicated portion of the overall salary cap, kinda like taxes taken out of a pay cheque. (Did I spell that right? :D)

Haha, thanks for Canadianizing for me. :)

The only rookie that materially affects the salary cap is a first round pick. Check Miguel's list to verify how little cap room last year's later picks take up. In general, a draftee when signed will replace someone else on the Top 51 until the day before the season by which date all 53 players and IR and PUP and Practice Squad players are all counted.

Franchising Cassel will not affect the rookies. However, keeping a franchise tag on Cassel for more than a week will affect our ability to re-sign our 20 free agents or re-sign free agents, since these players will make more than the players they replace in the Top 51 used to calculate the cap during the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes