PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can’t teach an old dog…

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Can’t teach an old dog…

Everyone said that TO would be on his best behavior this year in Dallas. It was next year that the Cowboys had to be worried about. WRONG. He is already becoming a distraction. Owens is already openly questioning the play calling. He feels he hasn't been given an opportunity to help the Cowboys win. He stated after the loss to the Eagles, "Why did y'all bring me here (if you aren’t going to throw me the ball)?"

Guy is such a loser. If anyone else watched that game they watched him short-arm a ball because he thought the safety was going to hit him. He’s dropped a few TD passes earlier this year. Hell. I think the reason the Cowboys lost to the Eagles was because they started to throw his way. In the first half, the Dallas Offense looked better when they were trying to get the ball to Glenn and Witten. They were winning at the half but Owens was not getting enough looks. Second half, everything went to Owens and the team went to crap. If team double Owens, Dallas needs to use Glenn and Witten to score not simply force it to Owens just to make him happy.

I’m not saying that Owens has been the downfall of every team he has been associated with but he has not been a savior either.

Here is a good timeline about the loser

http://football.about.com/od/nflnews/a/owenstimeline.htm

Wide receiver Terrell Owens has made his mark in the NFL as one of history's greatest receivers, but his impact on the league hasn't always been on a positive note. About Football has put together this timeline featuring some of Owens' more infamous antics during his NFL career.

2000 - During an October contest in Dallas, Owens celebrated scoring a touchdown by running to midfield of Texas Stadium and posing on the star logo of the Cowboys. He later repeated his actions following another TD and was blindsided by the Cowboys' George Teague.

2001 - After blowing a 19-point lead in Chicago and losing in overtime, the disgruntled receiver accused head coach Steve Mariucci of protecting good friend **** Jauron, head coach of the Bears

2002 - In an October contest on Monday Night Football in Seattle, Owens pulled a 'Sharpie' marker out of his sock after catching a TD pass. He then proceeded to autograph the ball and hand it to his financial adviser sitting in an end zone luxury suite rented by Shawn Springs, the CB he had just beaten on the play.

2002 - After scoring a touchdown in a December contest with the Green Bay Packers, Owens celebrated with a pair of Pom-Poms borrowed from a 49ers cheerleader.

2003 - Following a bumpy season that included several sideline tirades by Owens, he and the team decided to part ways.

2004 - Owens’ agent failed to meet a free agency deadline in March, making him ineligible to become a free agent. Because they retained his rights, the 49ers then traded him to the Baltimore Ravens, but Owens refused to report to his new team. He expressed his desire to play in Philadelphia, and filed a grievance, claiming he should be granted free agency. After a series of negotiations, a deal was worked out between the three teams which sent Owens to Philadelphia where he signed a seven-year, $49 million deal against the advice of the players’ union.

2004 - In an interview with Playboy magazine, Owens hinted that ex-teammate Jeff Garcia was gay, a claim he later recanted.

2004 - In a November contest with the Baltimore Ravens, after scoring a touchdown, Owens openly mocked Ray Lewis by performing the middle linebacker’s trademark celebration dance.

2004 - In a Monday Night contest later that month, Owens appeared in a controversial skit to kick off the network’s presentation of the game which resulted in an FCC investigation.

2005 - Owens hired agent Drew Rosenhaus in April and announced he was not happy with his contract. He also tells CNBC that, despite making $7.5 million in 2004, he needs a new contract to “feed his family.â€

2005 - After hinting that he might hold out of training camp, Owens shows up with a bad attitude, refusing to acknowledge the media or speak to his teammates. After a confrontation with head coach Andy Reid, he was suspended for one week.

2005 - During an interview with ESPN's Graham Bensinger on November 3, Owens took shots at the Eagles franchise for not publicly recognizing his 100th touchdown catch. During the interview he stated the Eagles showed a "lack of class". He also suggested the Eagles would be better off with Packers QB Brett Favre instead of Donovan McNabb.

2005 - On November 4, Owens issued a half-hearted apology through the media, but failed to deliver comments regarding Donovan McNabb, which head coach Andy Reid insisted he include.

2005 - Owens was suspended November 5 by the Eagles for the club's contest against the Washington Redskins on November 6.

2005 - On November 7, Owens' suspension was stretched to four games, and head coach Andy Reid added that Owens would not play for the remainder of the season.

2006 - On March 14, the Eagles cut Owens just one day before he was due a $5 million roster bonus.

2006 - On July 5, Owens released a tell-all book revealing his side of the story associated with his time in Philadelphia.

2006 - On July 13, Owens claimed he was misquoted in his autobiography. Owens blamed the use of the word 'heroic" in association with his return for Super Bowl XXXIX on his co-author.

2006 - On August 3, Owens missed the first of 14 consecutive days of practice because of a hamstring problem despite an MRI two days later revealing no major problems. After returning to practice for several days, Owens claimed he re-aggravated the injury because his coaches pushed him back to the playing field too soon. This time he didn't return to practice until August 29.

2006 - On August 10, while still out with an injured hamstring, Owens drew attention to himself by wearing the silver and blue uniform of Lance Armstrong's Discovery Channel pro cycling team while riding a stationary bicycle on the sidelines.

2006 - On September 26, Owens was taken by ambulance to Baylor University Medical Center for what was thought to be a suicide attempt. The following day, Owens denied trying to kill himself, claiming a mixture of pain pills and supplements caused him to be "out of it" when talking to emergency respondents

What a guy. Which is your favorite idiotic statement?

Mine is that Mariucci threw the game for his good friend **** Jauron. Yeah, just like Belichick threw the Miami game last year for his buddy Saban.

Re: Can’t teach an old dog…

All I can say is that the Cowboys(Jerry Jones) and TO deserve each other.

Everyone said that TO would be on his best behavior this year in Dallas.

WHO IS EVERYONE ????????

I thought the vegas over under on when the team would self-implode due to TO was at 8 games.

Hell. I think the reason the Cowboys lost to the Eagles was because they started to throw his way. In the first half, the Dallas Offense looked better when they were trying to get the ball to Glenn and Witten.

Truer words never spoken.

The one part you left out was how TO never goes up to play DB or fight for a ball unless the pass is thrown right to him. He just gives up on the play and lets the DB return it. At least one of the INTs thrown his way could have been disrupted if he contested it at all.

The guy is just all mouth, rep and cancer. The sooner he retires the better for football.

If you could put TO in stasis after every game and leave him there until the start of the next game he'd be a pretty good player. I mean, how can you not love what he does from the start of the first quarter to the end of the game?

Unfortunately it's all that other crap. I'd still rather have him than Moss.

Also you have to understand that TO is under a pretty intense media scrutiny at this point so that's why you are hearing what he said. I'm sure about a billion other WR's have said much the same after a game where they weren't thrown the ball every down. It's the nature of the position, I think. What he said really wasn't that bad.

There's plenty of stuff TO deserves flak for, this isn't it.

There are lots of 2-time rejects on this team as well-

Glenn(kicked off 2 teams, if you include the Packers)

Drew(wore out his welcome with 2 previous)

Fergy(word around the league was that we only wanted a big pay day, but Tuna didn't listen)

Vanderjact(otherwise known as that "idiot kicker")-As a Dallas fan-I gasped ALOT MORE than Owens' signing

On a side note-has the game passed the Fat Man by? Mike Ditka, Bum Phillips, George Allen(among others) made similar moves in their latter years-only to have them blow up in their faces.

fnordcircle said:
Unfortunately it's all that other crap.

I would take Moss over Owens every day of the week. His problems have been minor league compared to Owens. I think at this point Moss just wants to win and realizes that's not going to happen in Oakland.

Moss is your classic primadonna WR, but TO takes it to a whole new level.

DisgruntledTunaFan said:
On a side note-has the game passed the Fat Man by? Mike Ditka, Bum Phillips, George Allen(among others) made similar moves in their latter years-only to have them blow up in their faces.
The story is that when Parcells left New England (i.e., BEFORE going to the Jets), part of the reason was that he simply didn't grasp the strategic implications of the salary cap. As for pure coaching, you'd know better than we whether he's lost it as a motivator. But in any case he never was greatness at Xs and Os personally; he just was good enough at them to allow him to recognize and hire superb staffs of Xs and Os guys. I don't really know how the current staff is doing for him in Dallas in that regard, but from the distance it doesn't look too bad.

Fencer said:
The story is that when Parcells left New England (i.e., BEFORE going to the Jets), part of the reason was that he simply didn't grasp the strategic implications of the salary cap. As for pure coaching, you'd know better than we whether he's lost it as a motivator. But in any case he never was greatness at Xs and Os personally; he just was good enough at them to allow him to recognize and hire superb staffs of Xs and Os guys. I don't really know how the current staff is doing for him in Dallas in that regard, but from the distance it doesn't look too bad.

As a motivator-he's been surprisingly poor. Last year, in our 3 division road games(Philly, Wash, and NYG), the players had no fire in their eyes, nor showed any of it in their body language. And Tuna said things like-"If we lose, there's still alot of football left". Same with last week's game-he told his players, "If things go badly in the first 5 minutes, don't sweat it 'cuz of the atmosphere".

As for his current coaching staff-Palmer and DeHaven were fired by 2 teams recently. Sparano is a joke-the OL isn't, per se, BAD, but they continue to blow the basic assignments. Todd Haley's playbook is only average(at best).

And Zimmer can NOT coach the 3-4 D-DeMarcus Ware is either constantly lined up on the LT or somewhere lost in the secondary. Look at SD's and Pitts' 3-4. Shawn Merriman and Joey Porter gets mismatches in the trenches at least 1/2 of the time.

Dallas' biggest problem, however-is that Jones doesn't have any independent minded thinkers in the front office.

If you ask me what was worse than signing T.O. was losing Keyshawn Johnson...KJ and Glenn were a dynamic WR set but the Cowboys were not smart enough to see that - IMO Keyshawn may not have the better stats compared with T.O.,but he has been a better receiver in terms of less media attention and quiet productivity when a big catch counts if you compare current careers - T.O. may be the most overrated and hyped WR ever to play the game.

Last edited:

I know I am insanely wrong for saying this... but when I first heard the news about TO's attempted suicide... I really wanted him to succeed...

edgecy said:
I know I am insanely wrong for saying this... but when I first heard the news about TO's attempted suicide... I really wanted him to succeed...
He would have taken a few more pills if he was a Raider - Who Wouldn't try to kill themselves being on that team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes