PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Camp Battles: WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Makin' Chad your fantasy draft sleeper? Heh.

I was hoping, wayyyyy back when we drafted him, that he'd have this uncanny leaping ability so we could call him "Hanging Chad." The way he's been riding the pine, I think the title may fit for a whole different reason.

He's finally at the point where if we don't see it this year, we can officially declare him Bethel Johnson.

But I'm optimistic.

PFnV

LOL!

Be more positive. BB hung onto him for a reason so let's see if CJack really is what's advertised. No pressure or anything Chad, but if you don't deliver this season people may begin to whisper the word "bust", that's guaranteed. And that would stink- if he's on his game our offense just got even more interesting than it was before:D

Moss should be one of the top 3 WRs taken in fantasy drafts. Welker will be a very solid #2-3 receiver for the mid rounds. Chad Jackson is the mystery man. A late round sleeper that could pay off big. Who knows. This kid has all the talent but hasn't shown anything yet. I was really excited when we drafted him, hope he shows something in training camp/preseason.

Jackson could still have minimal fantasy football impact this season but could make a significant postive impact by giving defenses another deep threat to consider aside from Moss.

That's why I'm always stressing the difference between quantitative stats and qualitative stats.

Of course, we'd also like Jackson to be the deep WR of the post-Moss era as well but for now, he need not do much more than be a credible deep threat.

When you have a laundry list titled "Prior Legal Troubles" that is over a page long... That is NOT a GOOD SIGN. Respectfully, read the aforementioned list found in the link below first, then reply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Henry_(wide_receiver)

As a first time poster, i have a proposal to increase materially the competition for chad jackson and jabbar gaffney.
I propose that we sign as a free agent Chris Henry, unquestionably the most talented free agent remaining on the market. His catch total was affected adversely by the presence of two pro bowl quality wide outs in cinci. He is a deep threat and a huge mid range and deep target. He will stretch the field in a way that jabbar cannot. He will present Brady with a red zone target alternative to Randy Moss.
In short, he is the out of the box free agent signing for which Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick are famous.

Respectfully submitted, The DookFish.

One variable that could affect the WR spot is the health of Ben Watson. Because he plays almost like a 4th reciever lining up in the slot, the loser of the Gaffney/Cjack battle could end up seeing more time early to contribute. I guess what im saying is that whoever doesn't start better stay ready.

When you have a laundry list titled "Prior Legal Troubles" that is over a page long... That is NOT a GOOD SIGN. Respectfully, read the aforementioned list found in the link below first, then reply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Henry_(wide_receiver)

VCJ Patriot...I appreciate your input but must respectfully disagree. The NFL, and particularly the wide receiver spot, is all about talent. The gridiron is not a church choir. The two most accomplished wideouts in the current game are Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. These two are not choir boys. BB will step out of the box for difference makers with checkered pasts (e.g. Dillon and Moss). I stand by my post. Respectfully submitted, The Dookfish

I don't understand why people are so hopeful that Jackson pushes Gaffney out of the spot this year because of his draft position. Gaffney was a second rounder too so why should draft position matter? Gaffney has done a good job, I'm not even thinking about Jackson. If Jackson can work his way into the lineup, fine. If he can't, he's just another in a long line of busts. Either way, at this point, he's not worth the sweat off Gaffney's pads until he proves he is.

I don't understand why people are so hopeful that Jackson pushes Gaffney out of the spot this year because of his draft position. Gaffney was a second rounder too so why should draft position matter? Gaffney has done a good job, I'm not even thinking about Jackson. If Jackson can work his way into the lineup, fine. If he can't, he's just another in a long line of busts. Either way, at this point, he's not worth the sweat off Gaffney's pads until he proves he is.

Potential. We know what Gaffney is (a solid possession receiver who has developed a good rapport with Brady), we don't know what Jackson can be.

Jackson was also drafted by us. I want to see our picks do well -- with the Patriots.

Potential. We know what Gaffney is (a solid possession receiver who has developed a good rapport with Brady), we don't know what Jackson can be.

Jackson was also drafted by us. I want to see our picks do well -- with the Patriots.

So far, Jackson hasn't shown anything. I'm not as concerned with draft picks doing well if we pick up free agents that do well like we've done in the past. It's nice, but if Jackson flames out, it's no real loss IMHO.

VCJ Patriot...I appreciate your input but must respectfully disagree. The NFL, and particularly the wide receiver spot, is all about talent. The gridiron is not a church choir. The two most accomplished wideouts in the current game are Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. These two are not choir boys. BB will step out of the box for difference makers with checkered pasts (e.g. Dillon and Moss). I stand by my post. Respectfully submitted, The Dookfish

I personally don't see the upside of signing Henry when we have Chad Jackson on the roster who is plenty fast to provide a deep threat opposite of Moss. We are already pretty loaded at WR compared to other positions. I'd rather see the money and attention elsewhere like Oline (because of injuries) and punter (because he sucks) ... although there may not be anyone they can sign or trade for at this point that would help.

Listening to coach's PC today reminded me of this thread. In the last question about Jabar Gaffney (nice high praise for Gaff BTW) BB said, "He is a very versatile player that played every position for us last year. Whether it was three wide receivers or four wide receivers. At one point or another he played in each spot. The X, Y, Z or F spots as we call them."

I was wondering how these X,Y,Z and F spots relate to the Split End, Flanker and Slot position and what the fourth position was?

Last edited:
Guessing Y is split end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back