PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin Johnson runs a 4.33 in 40 yard dash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
heard he's a punk looking for a big signing bonus.... stay away BB... stay far away... take our picks at our slots... let someone else bust on the next moss

AH-FREAKIN-MEN!

LISTEN UP PEOPLE!

WR's coming out of college are far far too much of an unkown quantity. This position, more than any other, is a crapshoot at the draft. That doesn't mean that every high pick will bust. Its just that the risk is higher at that position than any other coming out.

If he falls, think about it at #24, and then its still a high risk pick. Never. Never. NEVER! trade out the top of your draft for a WR. QB maybe. DL maybe. RB maybe. Even LB maybe. but not a WR! EVER!

heard he's a punk looking for a big signing bonus.... stay away BB... stay far away... take our picks at our slots... let someone else bust on the next moss

This just shows me you don't know what you're talking about on the issue. Johnson is in now way a "punk". He is a standup individual who values his education and was seriously contemplating staying at GT another year. He has never said something wrong or done something considered arrogant or classless. He would be a perfect Patriot.

well there is no need to worry about this guy or assume anything.

If he falls down to 5 or lower and we trade up to get him he is definitely worth it. The pats draft as good as any other team and if they traded their first 3 picks up to get him you better believe he's good enough and a great fit.

And if he fell that low and we didn't trade up for him, then there is your answer. He's not worth it to this team.

Now if he goes in the 1st 4 i don't see how we move up to get him.

Sincerely Yours,
Captain Obvious.:singing:

You can pretty much copy and paste this scouting report for 1 receiver every year in the NFL draft.

No, the speed and height combination are very rare, the great character is even more rare. Randy moss is the only one that has this kind of speed and height, but this kid runs routes too. Imagine Moss with Troy Brown's heart. You want him on your team?

You heard wrong. He's the furthest thing from a punk. He may be looking for a big bonus. which in any case is irrelevant because he's slotted into that bonus in the draft.

This is all a moot point. The fact is that this kid is likely to be a top 3 pick or definitely a top 5 pick and out of our range. Put him out of your mind, unless the topic is fantasy football.

upstater, pushing aside the issues about how drafting receivers is a crapshoot in the first place, even if this guy is the next Larry Fitzgerald, high picks on receivers don't translate into wins. Fitzgerald is putting up big numbers and his team still sucks. Sexy wide receiver numbers do not translate into W's.

upstater, pushing aside the issues about how drafting receivers is a crapshoot in the first place, even if this guy is the next Larry Fitzgerald, high picks on receivers don't translate into wins. Fitzgerald is putting up big numbers and his team still sucks. Sexy wide receiver numbers do not translate into W's.

Exactly. WR's are not team changing players that can make a bad team good. They are role players who can good teams better.

Calvin Johnson will be a HUGE star, and you can take that to the bank. 4.33 in the 40, GREAT not good, great hands and work ethic, no character questions. Also a very good route runner, and a great jumper. Nobody in the NFL has all of those mentioned above, some may be faster, but with bad hands, or bad route runners, or bad character. Calvin Johnson will be a star, and if he's not within 2 years, I will print this and eat the paper it's written on.

I would trade Chad Jackson and several picks to get Calvin Johnson. It ain't gonna happen, but if we got him, our offense would be unstopable.

Calvin Johnson will be a HUGE star, and you can take that to the bank. 4.33 in the 40, GREAT not good, great hands and work ethic, no character questions. Also a very good route runner, and a great jumper. Nobody in the NFL has all of those mentioned above, some may be faster, but with bad hands, or bad route runners, or bad character. Calvin Johnson will be a star, and if he's not within 2 years, I will print this and eat the paper it's written on.

I would trade Chad Jackson and several picks to get Calvin Johnson. It ain't gonna happen, but if we got him, our offense would be unstopable.

4.33? That's almost as high as Bethel Johnson's best.

Chad Jackson's run faster, too.

Last edited:
Exactly. WR's are not team changing players that can make a bad team good. They are role players who can good teams better.
Since when are we a bad team? We want the latter.

he may not be worth our whole draft, but he has the potential to be a roy williams, larry fitzgerald, chad johnson type player....to me thats worth a hell of alot for a team like ours that dosnt have too many holes. 2 first round picks this year and maybe a second rounder for a weapon like that for the next 5-6+ years, plus add in chad jackson on the other side, sounds like the super bowl shuffle 2 or 3 more times.

I am afraid you do not comprehend what picks 1-5 are worth, what it would do to our salary cap for 5-6 years, and blind to the fact that our has BIG holes at ILB, OLB, SS, FS, and CB. How can you say we don't have too many holes?

Since when are we a bad team? We want the latter.

Actually what we do in this draft will decide how good we are. We need a bunch of players at DB, LB, and WR, not one guy who we would have to give away most of our picks to get.

Actually what we do in this draft will decide how good we are. We need a bunch of players at DB, LB, and WR, not one guy who we would have to give away most of our picks to get.

that is right on

I disagree. This guy is a lock to be a star, whereas all those other picks have low chances to contribute immediately.

I disagree. This guy is a lock to be a star, whereas all those other picks have low chances to contribute immediately.

drew, you continue to fail to explain how this guy being a star translates into more wins for this franchise. High draft picks for receivers who put up big numbers gets good ratings, but it doesn't help win trophies.

drew, you continue to fail to explain how this guy being a star translates into more wins for this franchise. High draft picks for receivers who put up big numbers gets good ratings, but it doesn't help win trophies.

Exactly. How will getting Calvin Johnson but ignoring all our other big needs make the team better?

I think ew have to go back to the "We don't need a wide receiver" thread. There's no point in rehashing everyone's arguments again. It seemed that 50% of us believed the lack of a threatening wide out was the #1 need for the Patriots. I was in that camp. The other 50% made the case for linebacker. I agreed with their arguments since I think LB is the #2 need. But, needless to say, we'll never all agree on this. I think the Patriots could fix their offensive problems with a threatening WR who isn't even the caliber of Calvin Johnson. That would be fine with me. The problem is, there's no one like that available in FA, and I am very very dubious about the college WRs coming out after Calvin Johnson, for all the reasons you state (ie. potential to bust). This is why Johnson is so appealing to me.

Now, if I were running the Patriots, I would just go Daniel Snyder in free agency and sign Adalius Thomas and London Fletcher. I'd make sure that Asante stayed (and if he didn't I'd sign clements). Then I'd feel free to trade up for Calvin Johnson. My whole draft? No way. I want to make a pick other than Johnson in the top 55. But two #1s, maybe a future #2 or this year's #3? I'd think about it.

I think ew have to go back to the "We don't need a wide receiver" thread. There's no point in rehashing everyone's arguments again. It seemed that 50% of us believed the lack of a threatening wide out was the #1 need for the Patriots. I was in that camp. The other 50% made the case for linebacker. I agreed with their arguments since I think LB is the #2 need. But, needless to say, we'll never all agree on this. I think the Patriots could fix their offensive problems with a threatening WR who isn't even the caliber of Calvin Johnson. That would be fine with me. The problem is, there's no one like that available in FA, and I am very very dubious about the college WRs coming out after Calvin Johnson, for all the reasons you state (ie. potential to bust). This is why Johnson is so appealing to me.

Now, if I were running the Patriots, I would just go Daniel Snyder in free agency and sign Adalius Thomas and London Fletcher. I'd make sure that Asante stayed (and if he didn't I'd sign clements). Then I'd feel free to trade up for Calvin Johnson. My whole draft? No way. I want to make a pick other than Johnson in the top 55. But two #1s, maybe a future #2 or this year's #3? I'd think about it.

I know what you mean, but can you image the cap damage that would cause? Thomas/Fletcher want big money. Asante is 7.79 mil for next year, the Calvin would want a huge signing bonus (12-15+ mil in a top 5 pick). We only have 26 mil for next season. Johnson's signing bonus+Asante+Thomas signing bonus and the 26 mil is gone (yes you could split over years but that is not the point). We could not pay Fletcher let alone start looking at Warren. That also leaves out Graham and any other draft picks or FAs we go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots