Calvin Johnson is the best WR the secondary has faced yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
One guy I really am worrying about on thursday is CJ

I thought Brandon Marshall was going to have a career game against our defense a month ago but the team held him in check.

I think Calvin is the best overall talented WR we will face all season who could be on his way to a 1,300 yard year on a poor team and if he was anywhere but Detroit and catching balls from below average QBs he would have unlimited potential.

I think if the team is going to give up some big plays in this game it may be at the hands of CJ and could be a tough day for Arrington,this could be Arrington's biggest test to date.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
6'5 230lbs 4.3-40 yard dash, and isn't afraid to be physical. Color me concerned about one vs one match ups, but Belichick will devote two guys to this beast, of that I'm fairly certain.

6'5 230lbs 4.3-40 yard dash, and isn't afraid to be physical. Color me concerned about one vs one match ups, but Belichick will devote two guys to this beast, of that I'm fairly certain.

I really think Calvin would have been another Marvin Harrison if he was on the Colts catching balls from Manning...thank god the Colts didn't move up the draft to get him.

On a good team Calvin gets 1,600 or more yards receiving yearly if healthy,no doubt in my mind.

IMO there are two players in the NFL who will go most of their career thinking how much better they could have been than they already are if they were on a solid team......one of those players is Steven Jackson,the other is Calvin Johnson.

Last edited:
the good part is the lions have no running game at all so they only need to rush 4 and drop 7 so there will be at lest two guys on him at all times

If he wasn't so high up I would've given my spleen for the Pats to get him, he has an incredible skill set and by all reports is an extremely high character guy, that is team first.

In summary: 85% of what Randy Moss was in his prime, but minus all the head ache.

That said, we did get Moss and Welker that year.

Last edited:
the good part is the lions have no running game at all so they only need to rush 4 and drop 7 so there will be at lest two guys on him at all times

I really like what I have seen from Jahvid Best as a rookie..he seems like he is going to be a special back for Detroit for quite some time.

Suh and Best have looked pretty good so far

Is Best healthy for this game?

this is not the celtics, where the opposing teams best player will have close to career numbers

this is the patriots, and they play by the opposite game, usually the best opposing player against us is handled pretty well

i do not expect big numbers from megatron, and his QB will be stupid to throw his way with all the attention that he'll recieve

i agree however, the guy is an amazing WR

The problem with receivers is they can't throw the ball to themselves. And Shaun Hill isn't exactly scary. I imagine he'll get his numbers and probably make someone look stupid on a TD, but I think the secondary will be fine if the front can give Hill a hard time.

The problem with receivers is they can't throw the ball to themselves. And Shaun Hill isn't exactly scary. I imagine he'll get his numbers and probably make someone look stupid on a TD, but I think the secondary will be fine if the front can give Hill a hard time.

Well said..

I agree. As talented as he may be, the guy gets shut down or contained pretty regularly. As long as he doesn't have great QB play, he's not too much of a concern.

I think we'll contain CJ.

I know comparing different teams isnt always the way to go but if we can do a decent job against Shianco, Moss, Peterson and Harvin all at once... i think we should be able to contain CJ for the most part.

Reggie Wayne + Peyton Manning >>>>>> Calvin Johnson + Shaun Hill

This seems like a game where our young secondary could come up with a few more picks. Hopefully they will have the stamina to go all out after that tilt on Sunday afternoon.

BB typically covers these type WR's with a CB and the LBer under and safety over. It leaves small windows for QB's to throw into.

The problem with this coverage is the 3rd WR is locked up on a LBer.

I expect Johnson to get his share of balls,but unless there is a mistake, it will be what the Pats secondary scheme is willing to give him.

They'll probably cover him like they did Randy Moss, by jamming him at the line with McCourty and Arrington and floating Meriweather over top.

BB typically covers these type WR's with a CB and the LBer under and safety over. It leaves small windows for QB's to throw into.

The problem with this coverage is the 3rd WR is locked up on a LBer.

I expect Johnson to get his share of balls,but unless there is a mistake, it will be what the Pats secondary scheme is willing to give him.
That is called a zone.

They'll probably cover him like they did Randy Moss, by jamming him at the line with McCourty and Arrington and floating Meriweather over top.

They mixed it up on moss a lot I think. I saw a few plays where Mayo actually jammed him at the line, and then Sanders was on him the rest of the way. I expect we'll mix things up on Johnson as well, keep him from getting too comfortable with the coverages.

Reggie Wayne + Peyton Manning >>>>>> Calvin Johnson + Shaun Hill

Faulty logic...

Peyton + ANY WR is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other Teams combo vs. us.

And FTR, we didnt exactly shut Manning down so much as he shot himself in the foot. Let's not overboard on Last weeks win.

Calvin johnson is much more physical than Moss though. All you basically have to do is jam Moss at the line and he's done. CJ is more likely to take the bump and run and be physical right back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey