PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Call me crazy but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Assuming we resign Moss, I feel the 2008 Patriots can be a better team than the 2007 version. That doesn't mean I expect them to go undefeated (most likely their record is going to be worse), but I think they can make major improvements on D and I don't think Stallworth is a big loss at all on offense.

Regardless of what ranking our D held last year, I never really felt they had the ability to just shut a good offense down. It seemed that teams could run on us (especially when bouncing to the outside) whenever they wanted, but they usually gave that up when they found themselves down my 2 or 3 TDs. Also, it often seemed our zone Pass D had enormous holes in it. Average WR's were catching passes wide open. To me, that was due to a lack of team speed. With the draft picks we have this year (4 1st day) I fully expect team speed on D to be the focus. With more speed at LB and DB, I think the 2008 Pats can be a more balanced team than the 2007 version.

Last edited:
Assuming we resign Moss, I feel the 2008 Patriots can be a better team than the 2007 version. That doesn't mean I expect them to go undefeated (most likely their record is going to be worse), but I think they can make major improvements on D and I don't think Stallworth is a big loss at all on offense.

Regardless of what ranking our D held last year, I never really felt they had the ability to just shut a good offense down. It seemed that teams could run on us (especially when bouncing to the outside) whenevr they wanted, but they usually gave that up when they found themselves down my 2 or 3 TDs. Also, it often seemed our zone Pass D had enormous holes in it. Average WR's were catching passes wide open. To me, that was due to a lack of team speed. With the draft picks we have this year (4 1st day) I fully expect team speed on D to be the focus. With more speed at LB and DB, I think the 2008 Pats can be a more balanced team than the 2007 version.

So you think the D will be better with at least several rookies on D probably at LB and Corner?

Unless the new D guys turn out to be rookies of the year candidates I don't see the D being better - It may take a while,maybe a year for the D to be as good or better than in the past,We have huge holes to fill RIGHT NOW no matter how you look at it.

Unless you've hidden yourself under a rock the past 10 years then you already know that the Patriots have the most complicated and toughest defense for a rookie to learn and it takes a while for most to adjust from what they had in college.

If you look at the roster RIGHT NOW without making any major surprise on defense the rest of the FA period,then I think the offense will need to put up 28 or more on a regular basis to win continually in 2008 except for the homers in here who ALWAYS think they will win EVERY game the team plays regardless of who is on the field.

Last edited:
Youre not crazy...

With the rumors making it seem more likely Moss will be returning than our big loss this year is Asante. as You said our 4 first day picks should help replace that, and improve other areas.

A big point to boost your theory would be the continued developement of the younger players on this team and Adalious. Thomas in his second season should have a much better grasp of the De and be a much bigger force. Guys Like Sanders, Merriweather, Hobbs, Maroney, Chad Jackson are still real young and should continue to improve (some have reached more of their potential than others but all should still be getting better.)

Yet another point which becomes pretty mute once the seaon starts is health....We will be getting some guys back from injuries like dave Thomas and Mo Morris. Problem there is we were pretty healthy and can only hope to be as healthy next reg season (injuries caught up a bit in the playoffs).

you heard it here I am saying 19-0 next year.

The defense actually might be better, as is see it the major free agent loss we had was Asante. Randall Gay and Wilson were never great talent. Not to say they didn't get the job done, they just were not anything spectacular. In my opinion they fill holes in the d through the draft. Asante was a big loss, but he was just asking for too much and that would have left the Pats strapped for money in the future. All signs point to BB trying to get the defense more athletic.

We are day four into free agency. We have the potential of being better. If we add Victor Hobson, Clark Haggans, Ty Law, and Jason Webster in free agency say; I think this team has the potential of being better than it was in 2008 even before the draft. I think in that scenario, the LB corp would be upgraded.

I still think the front seven has more to do with the secondaries performance than some people like to admit. With the 5 yard chuck rule so heavily enforced, it is near impossible for a CB to make that big of a difference without pressure on the QB. So I think although the loss of Samuel will be felt, I don't think it will be all as big as you might think if we can improve our LB corp.

Stallworth was great at times, but his contributions were fairly sporatic. I think his production can be replaced.

In a way, I tend to agree with the OP. Everyone calling him an idiot needs to chillax.

For one thing, we've got great talent coming up in Brandon Meriweather, who was improving noticeably at the end of the season last year. He can play both free safety and corner, and that helps us out a lot. I think he has the potential to become an elite defensive back.

For another, I think some of us dismiss rookies too quickly. Some people may be to learn Belicheck's system more quickly than others. If the Patrick Willis's, Adrian Petersons, Aaron Ross's and Justin Tucks of the league have taught us anything, it's that even rookies can make a serious difference on a team.

Hobbs should only get better; he may be short, but he's also young.

Youth may be exactly what our linebacking corps needs. Without even knowing who we've drafted yet, we've already jumped to conclusions about who can or can't start in our defense. I think you'll see BB make some serious adjustments to his system and allow young players a better chance to participate; I think the Giants' strength and speed on D was much a result of the many talented young players they had (Ross, Tuck, and Alford come to mind immediately). Don't count on Belicheck dismissing that.

All that separates us from another SB title is a commitment to the running game.

So you think the D will be better with at least several rookies on D probably at LB and Corner?

There are 3 starting positions up for grabs and probably 5 open roster spots on defense total. I don't think it is as desperate as your statement makes it seem.

The Pats could have brought Colvin back but chose not to. The 2008 draft has LBs in quantity but not necessarily quality. The 2009 draft is hella strong at LB. Makes sense to begin the LB makeover now.

As for the secondary, it it telling that the Pats let their secondary coach, 2 CBs and a FS go without much of a fight. Belichick clearly is not pleased with the production of the secondary and the expiring contracts made it a good time to implement a new DB strategy. Bring Capers in to oversee the construction.

Guess I'm saying that there is a difference between remodeling your kitchen and having it rebuilt after a fire. Belichick is remodeling. Cabinets were ugly and the dishwasher was too loud.

Unless the new D guys turn out to be rookies of the year candidates I don't see the D being better - It may take a while,maybe a year for the D to be as good or better than in the past,We have huge holes to fill RIGHT NOW no matter how you look at it.

I would expect pick #7 (likely 2nd defensive player off the board) to have ROY talent if the Pats keep the pick. I think they will attempt to trade down but only because this draft is talented and deep.

Unless you've hidden yourself under a rock the past 10 years then you already know that the Patriots have the most complicated and toughest defense for a rookie to learn and it takes a while for most to adjust from what they had in college.

While you are correct, it is also true that Belichick doesn't ask a player to do more than they are capable of doing. If Gholston is starting this year, he likely won't have Vrabel-like responsibilities. Same with Cason (Samuel), Goff (Seau) or Godfrey (Gay).

BTW, it is entirely possible for the Pats to get those guys mentioned above. Assuming no free-agent pickups (unlikely with the cap space left), would those guys be an upgrade from 2007? Nope, but the potential would be outta sight. Add a stud LB from the 2009 draft class and the Pats have reloaded without hardly missing a beat.

If you look at the roster RIGHT NOW without making any major surprise on defense the rest of the FA period,then I think the offense will need to put up 28 or more on a regular basis to win continually in 2008 except for the homers in here who ALWAYS think they will win EVERY game the team plays regardless of who is on the field.

Couldn't disagree more. They will be playing teams this year that couldn't score 28 points on the Pats scout team. They will need to put up 30+ to beat the top teams (Colts, Chargers, Steelers, Jags) which is why keeping Moss is so important. Re-sign Moss and all they have done to their record-setting offense is add D.Thomas, Morris and C.Jackson while subtracting Stallworth.

30+ ppg shouldn't be a problem. #1 seed shouldn't be too difficult. Putting together a play-making defense that compliments that offense is the trick. They have $23M, a stocked draft and 16 games to make it happen. Godspeed to them.

We only have 2 picks on day 1. Day 1 this year consists of only rounds 1 and 2.

Regardless of what ranking our D held last year, I never really felt they had the ability to just shut a good offense down. It seemed that teams could run on us (especially when bouncing to the outside) whenever they wanted, but they usually gave that up when they found themselves down my 2 or 3 TDs. Also, it often seemed our zone Pass D had enormous holes in it. Average WR's were catching passes wide open. To me, that was due to a lack of team speed. With the draft picks we have this year (4 1st day) I fully expect team speed on D to be the focus. With more speed at LB and DB, I think the 2008 Pats can be a more balanced team than the 2007 version.

I don't know if the defense will be any better or any worse for that matter. The defense is in a major transition no doubt. BB just demolished the 07 crew and is now laying out the blueprints for not only next year but for the forseeable future. You have to remember that Gay, Samuel, Colvin, Wilson were all part of our previous 3 superbowl trips. You have to imagine that the new defense being engineered right now is going to be put in place for optimal preformance. No doubt it's the end of an era so to speak and i'm anxious to see what the finished product is.

Not with our current CB crops. If we're able to sign a guy like Law then maybe. And it also depends on how much that 7th pick and to a lesser degree the other picks can contribute.

Reasons we could be better- The addition of Capers helps alot IMO. Merriweather and AT will have a year in this system under their belt. getting Sammy and Dave Thomas back is a huge plus too IMO. Brady and Moss, as scary as it sounds, should only get better with more familiarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes