Welcome to PatsFans.com

California to withhold a bigger chunk of paychecks

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

This is just amazing to me. At what point will people wake up to what's going on in this country? Worse, when will gubmit begin to understand that the math has to add up. That "save the children" logic is folly. Quinn Bills, $100k a year pensioners, $600k a year college professors, 20 staff so people can Facebook all day, 23 years to full retirement, and so on, and so on , and so on....simply does not work in the end. Bankruptcy is truly the only option. The sooner the gubmit goes under, cuz it can't pay the bills, the quicker the more sane among us can start over.

California to withhold a bigger chunk of paychecks

The amount goes up 10% on Sunday as Sacramento borrows from taxpayers. Technically, it's not an income tax increase: You'll get the money back eventually.

By Shane Goldmacher and W.J. Hennigan

October 31, 2009
    E-mail Print Share Text Size

Reporting from Los Angeles and Sacramento - Starting Sunday, cash-strapped California will dig deeper into the pocketbooks of wage earners -- holding back 10% more than it already does in state income taxes just as the biggest shopping season of the year kicks into gear.

Technically, it's not a tax increase, even though it may feel like one when your next paycheck arrives. As part of a bundle of budget patches adopted in the summer, the state is taking more money now in withholding, even though workers' annual tax bills won't change.

Think of it as a forced, interest-free loan: You'll be repaid any extra withholding in April. Those who would receive a refund anyway will receive a larger one, and those who owe taxes will owe less.

But with rising gas costs, depressed home prices and double-digit unemployment, the state's added reach into residents' regular paycheck isn't sitting well with many.

California to withhold a bigger chunk of paychecks -- latimes.com

2. Real World

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

I love this line.

I guess this clown didn't show up to economics class, or at least missed the one where they teach you that a dollar today, is not worth a dollar X amount of time from now. So people having their cash confiscated today, will be given back less than it's current value in April, even if the dollar amount is the same. So in "reality" it is a tax increase pal.

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

RW...anyone who thinks increasing taxes is the answser (or even the right thing to do) and not cut spending shouldn't be allowed to hold public office. If Massachusetts tried this, I'd call my buddy who is always offering me ways to cheat on my taxes and tell him "I'M READY!" If the gov't wants to TAKE from us, we need to take from them...after all, fair is fair (or, as in this case, unfair is unfair).

Why don't they just cut out all the $$ they spend on illegal immigrants. It's not like they owe them anything.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

This administration, these czars, this president and all his groupies are going to be responsible for the biggest humiliating landslide defeat the Democratic Party has ever known come 2012, they will be out of any kind of power for the next 50 years.

5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't think any economist thinks that taking more money out of people's pockets helps during a recession, so what will happen here is that they will probably delay the recovery for their state. I'm not sure why they didn't make some cuts instead, but they're in a bad, bad place. They need to stop paying private companies big bucks to keep people in jail. Whatever happened to the ruling from the federal judge ordering the state to reduce its prison population because it was overcrowded?

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Wow....you just wrote that gov't spending PROLONGS a recession. Good to see you finally get it Strud! ;)

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

How about they seal the border and ship back to foreign countries the illegal alien inmates that are draining their system dry? Isn't it like 10-20% of the prison population in that state made up of illegal aliens? I'd venture to guess that eliminating them would solve a huge chunk of the problem.

8. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The only numbers I can find that I would trust state that 17% of the CA prison population was born outside the US, including legal immigrants. I'm not a fan of scapegoating the illegals since multiple studies have shown that they benefit an economy, which CA definitely needs right now, and also that immigrants are actually less likely to commit crimes than native born Americans.

Immigration Has Little To Do With Crime, Wellesley Researcher Finds

Personally I'd release all the pot-heads.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

The damn California conservatives refuse to raise taxes. The Democrats have already agreed to massive cuts in services, but the Republicans, even though they are the minority party, refuse to give in. It's an example of the extremist Republican Party using its minority power to unfairly punish civil servants. The conservatives, like it or not, need to start demonstrating some responsibility and pay for things. But, given that they embraced to major deficit spender/tax cutters presidents, we cannot expect conservatives to show any sense of responsibility. No wonder our country is in bad shape. Conservatives support spending, but oppose paying for things, and they play on that to woo nonthinking Americans into the same ludicrous position.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

First of all, what studies are those? The one's done by, or paid for through La Raza? Illegals are an absolute drain on gubmit. They are red ink. All low income earners are red ink. All you need to do is calculate how much a person making $20-30k actually pays in taxes, and then deduct what it cost the gubmit to pay for services for each citizen. You'll get a lot of red. Remember, every kid costs about $10k to teach per annum.

Of course you wouldn't scape goat illegals. You'll scape goat private business though. As for pot, I've long argued that it should be legalized, regulated, and taxed to death like they do ciggarettes.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

Don't Dems have a 2/3's majority across the state, and isn't that state one of the highest taxed states in the country? The answer isn't more taxes. The answer is less spending.

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

FWIW, according to Wikipedia, both chambers of the CA legislature have been in Democrat hands since 1970, with the sole except being a 2 year break in the House in 95-96.

Only a liberal could find a way to blame California's problems on Republicans. Not that he's fooling anyone.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You might be right, at least according to the CBO. I was working from memory so I'll have to see if I can dig up what I read.

14. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Senate is 25-15 and House is roughly 49-29-1 with one vacancy. Not a 2/3rds to overturn a veto.

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think it matters. I may be wrong - and if I am then someone please step in and correct me - but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that any tax increase in California gets put before a statewide referendum. So the makeup of the legislature doesn't matter, taxes can't be raised unless the public votes for it.

And if I understand it correctly, there's where the problem is. The legislature keeps spending and spending but the public keeps refusing to raise taxes.

16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Ah well, as we don't have a flat tax and we have deductions there are ways to ensure that our taxes don't go up at the end of the day. I'm done paying more taxes, sorry State. You can take it now if you like but I'll get it back later.

Once again, CA has a spending problem not a revenue problem. The link I found last night said we (CA) has the 9th highest state income tax payment, per capita.

17. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you may be confusing a basic act with a constitutional amendment which would require approval from voters...doesn't look like the voters really have a say in the process if they have the 2/3rds needed to overturn a governor's veto.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pdf/Ch_09_CaLegi06.pdf

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup you're right. I did a little research and found they have a law out there "Proposition 13" which essentially caps property taxes and makes raising other forms of taxes extremely hard to do, although I was wrong thinking it required a statewide public referendum. However they haven't exactly capped spending.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +624 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

Welll, heck, there's your answer. Kill all the poor people. We'll be back in the black in no time.

20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

You are wrong. The Republicans repeatedly blocked Democrats from instituting tax hikes and budget cuts. Instead, the Republicans forced only budget cuts, which are still not enough to fix CA's debt. Remember, Democrats are tax and spend. Republicans are cut tax and spend. Which makes more sense to you?