Welcome to PatsFans.com

California Balances the budget

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Great news...but here is the catch.....IT SUCKS.

Only in my state where it takes a 2/3 vote to increase taxes, but a simple majority to lower them.

$23 BILLION deficit.

Here is what they did....

It relies on about $15.5 billion in cuts and $11 billion in, well, other stuff (more on that in a moment).

Almost two-thirds of the cuts are in K-12 education, colleges, and universities (though it also includes a one-time supplemental payment to K-12 and community colleges of $11.2 billion). Other sizeable cuts are in corrections ($1.2 billion), state worker salaries ($1.3 billion in the current furloughs) and Medi-Cal services ($1.3 billion). Welfare assistance, health care for low-income kids, and in-home support services (IHSS) would also see cuts.

Also cut: funding for state parks, though nowhere near the level Governor Schwarzenegger proposed in May. Legislative staffers say a few parks would close, and the ones in question will be picked by the
    administration.

education, healthcare, state worker's pay, welfare assistance, and state parks....

not a single tax increase mentioned.....great....

And one of the only revenue producers? A $100 million annual lease for offshore drilling off the coast of Santa Barbara, the first new drilling on the California coast since a massive oil spill in that area 40 years ago.

So.....no gay weddings, and no tax increases! Oil Drilling!

Conservatives!!!!

are you listening, here is your experiment in action. Cali has cut all social programs, not increased taxes, cut education, healthcare, parks, and government pay. We have expanded offshore drilling.....

you'd better hope it works.....

http://crooksandliars.com/node/29839
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

They cut in a way to try to piss off the electorate. Cutting spending is a good thing.

If you wnat to save more and get kids a better education, give parents vouchers and close as many public schools as possible.
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

And yet they're still not ousting illegals. :confused2:
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's great, finally spending cuts not tax increases. Watch out, America, it's going to be a tidal wave from the West to the East.
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

That's the Feds' job. I still say we should sue for the $10B a year it costs us for the Feds not protecting the border.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Interesting comments this AM on the California Newspapers, the Republicans are starting to fuss.. because it calls for the release of 27K prisoners...
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The Republicans had better not mess this up, those to be released are in non dangerous groups, whether older, sick, incapacitated, etc. And most (maybe all) will have ankle bracelets.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Imprisoning old and infirmed prisoners in secure facilities does not make a lot of sense, there is a geometric pregression of cost regarding age/medical care of aging inmates..
  9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

All the while that money from that high grade reefer stays underground and off the books.
  10. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Based on the OP's comments, how is this the Conservatives fault? Last time I remembered, California was run primarily by far-left liberals (and the Terminator is far from a Conservative).

California is already the highest taxed state, is losing business and citizens because of those high taxes, and is already a fiscal mess. So because they don't raise taxes (again) this week, all their problems are the Conservatives fault? What whacked logic!
  11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Perhaps CA is NOT run by far-left liberals.
    The prop 8 results certainly raise a question mark, no?
  12. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think we're talking apples and oranges. I was referring to the government, you are referring to the voters.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

This should tell him all he needs to know :

California State Legislature - Ballotpedia
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Prop 13, passed by conservatives back in the day is what makes the state government very conservative. California may vote liberal in most national elections, but as we've seen with prop 8 and the mentioned prop 13, California is diverse.

I'm not saying its conservatives FAULT. I'm saying that we just passed the conservative solution to all problems in our states budget (cut social programs, and don't raise taxes) Re-read it if you have to.
  15. Bill B.

Bill B. Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Worst thing to happen in California. Ousting Grey Davis and putting Arnold in charge. So many people just thought it would be cool to vote for the Governator. Well, we are paying for this foolishness now.
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Just read this morning where (Oakland?) is taxing medical marijuana. It's not much, but watch out, if it generates enough cash others will follow suit and it will never be repealed (the reason Roosevelt taxed social security).
  17. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

OK, so your solution is to raise taxes in the highest taxed state? And because of those high taxes has resulted in companies and citizens moving to other states? Just trying to understand your logic. What affect do you think, raising taxes in CA will have?

As far as cutting social programs, well yea. They obviously can't afford all the social programs that they have.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think there are other ways to cut corners. One good thing was the waste council elimination. Each person makes I think 175K a year, and there are 6 of them. I hate cutting education, and social programs....I think we both know that.

according to the Tax Foundation, California is the SIXTH higest taxed state. The closest its been to #1 was in 1978, when it was #3. Funny how California canm still manage to be the world's 6th largest economy with all those companies leaving like you claim. Lets face it, ENRON really screwed our state. Taxes CAN'T be raised without a 2/3 majority here, so unless prop 13 gets reversed....it will remain that way.

The Tax Foundation - California's State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008

What I'm getting at....is THIS is what you conservative keep shouting about all the time. This is your little experiment on what you are all complaining about at the federal level. It just passed here in California of all places.....Cutting social programs, education, and government pay.....and offshore drilling...

Lets see how great it works. I can pull up a few dozen threads where a lot of you were cracking on my broke state, making fun of the situation....

Hopefully this isn't the conservative "Waterloo"....nahmean?

I'll be the first to say I was wrong if things turn around.