PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caleb Campbell (S, Army)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDP111

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information concerning this player other than his stats? Scouting reports?

supposedly runs a 4.47..well see at the combine. He is big at 225lbs and obv very smart. Go to walterfootball.com. U may find some info

This is what NFLDraftscout says about him:
NFLDraftscout said:
Legitimate straight-line speed. ... Versatile player who has seen action at linebacker and safety. ... Instinctive. ... Reads the action quickly and brings a physical nature to the job. ... Prototype size and reliable, forceful open-field tackler for the in-the-box safety position. ...

There are a couple negatives.
1) Doesn't always play to timed speed
2) Recovering from an ACL injury.

Since he went to West Point, I'd assume he's got some military commitment, but I don't know if the ACL injury would get him a medical discharge or not.

I like Campbell if he checks out medically and his commitment has been waived because of his injury.

Since he went to West Point, I'd assume he's got some military commitment . . .
I like Campbell if he checks out medically and his commitment has been waived because of his injury.

I know that for Eckel, the Pats had worked out some sort of deal that would have allowed him to meet his military commitments at a nearby naval base (in RI?). Then, of course, Nick Saban had to go and be a dirtbag and screw that up for him.

I honestly don't know whether a similar arrangement could be made with the other academies (whether for logistical reasons, or b/c Belichick might not have the connections he does with Navy).

I know that for Eckel, the Pats had worked out some sort of deal that would have allowed him to meet his military commitments at a nearby naval base (in RI?). Then, of course, Nick Saban had to go and be a dirtbag and screw that up for him.

I honestly don't know whether a similar arrangement could be made with the other academies (whether for logistical reasons, or b/c Belichick might not have the connections he does with Navy).

I think that the service academies have an agreement with players they recruit (not walk-ons) that the player can resign their commission if they choose to but they have to pay back thye cost of their education.

Well I can't say that I heard of him until you posted this and I am really glad you did. After doing some research on him I think he is very comparable to Rodney. Rodney and Campbell have very similar builds, Campbell is faster than Harrison and about five pounds heavier. He is listed as 6'2" and Army apparently used him in the box and at the line of scrimmage A LOT considering he is also listed as being a potential OLB. Considering how much Rodney plays up at the line I think he would be a great fit if we draft him this year assuming Rodney is back. Future safety tandem of Campbell at SS and Meriweather at FS sounds pretty good to me. Let's not forget the fact that he probably has the discipline that BB covets because he is at one of our fine military institutions.

Last edited:
I think that the service academies have an agreement with players they recruit (not walk-ons) that the player can resign their commission if they choose to but they have to pay back thye cost of their education.

That may well be true, but that would also be something like $100K-$200K, IIRC.

Better still--in my book at least--if they can fulfill their duties without resigning their commission (which Eckel in theory would have been able to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes