PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell vs. Givens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This Reche Caldwell signing is why I love the Patriots, and why the brass just really knows what they are doing.

Look at Caldwell. He's a physical clone of Givens. Givens is listed at 6', 212 lbs, born in 1980, 5 yrs in the league. Caldwell is listed at 6', 215 lbs, born in 1979, 6 yrs in the league.

Givens has more catches to date, but can't you see him coming here, and w/ Brady throwing to him, mirroring Givens type of production? I can. Yet, Givens cost the Titans almost $5M a year. Don't know for sure, but I bet Caldwell cost about a fifth of that.

He was the 48th overall pick in the draft when he came out, and is faster than Givens.

In any event, this team is slick. They look for the gems, sign them at far more reasonable prices, and then win Super Bowls. Who else thinks their approach is brilliant? I LOVE it!!!!

I don't think he's the same type of receiver than Givens even though size wise similar...Not tough over the middle like Givens...maybe faster..but not the same type of wideout. Give him a year and we'll see. I think as receivers go he's a bit behind where DG is, maybe a lot, but see what the future brings and that could change a bit. I agree a very slick move..I am not disappointed at all.

I don't know what you see save for measureables. Caldwell is awful and has been a bust. He will be a role player at best. He did not have a slouch at QB last year so the Brady factor is a wash. Its not like he came from Baltimore or the Jets.

Better than Givens? I doubt that. I think some folks here are a TAD to optimistic..

Who is this Givens you guys are talking about?

Givens is a solid number 2.

Caldwell can not even be considered a mid tier player. He is a lower tier player!

no use arguing this now, well see when the season starts

Caldwell is closer to Bethal than Givens.

harveyw said:
I don't know what you see save for measureables. Caldwell is awful and has been a bust. He will be a role player at best. He did not have a slouch at QB last year so the Brady factor is a wash. Its not like he came from Baltimore or the Jets.

Sigh...some people just don't get it.

What is striking is when you see the video highlights of Caldwell, is the physical similarity to Givens.

Many of these same comments were probably uttered when Vrabel was signed - underachiever, couldn't crack the starting line up, has shown little or nothing to make anyone believe he will ever be a star...

BB and Pioli are far better than any of us at picking talent. they are not always right and have laid their share of eggs, but believing we know more than they do is plain silly.

Caldwell does represent the almighty 'value' idea- Young, fast, former high draft pick, played for a team with high level offense. The 'idea' of this signing makes good sense, the reality of it won't be known until next December....

Piolichick is a lot better at drafting than at FA signings, IMHO. However, I do see similarities between Caldwell and Givens. I can see where they thought he'd be a reasonable replacement.

Whether people like it or not, Reche is going to be the Pats' #2 guy unless they acquire some of Keyshawn or his stature. They'll be a few other guys added to fight for #2, #3, and #4 spots. I see Johnson and Childress filling the #5 and #6 spots.

Caldwell posted some nice stats before he went down with an ACL injury in mid-2004, and while he was out, Parker slid up the depth chart and McCardell solidified his #1 spot. Also remember Gates and Tomlinson are into the mix more than the #3 and #4 WRs.

most ppl in here on all the posts regarding reche are either too low on him or too high

no he isnt david givens

but hes also not bethel johnson, or david terrell

he'll produce less than the former, but more than the two latter

he could be our number two
we'll prob try to get a more legitimate number 2, but we could get a guy at about reches ability and let them fight it out for playing time
guys like greg jennings or mike hass in the 3-4 rd of the draft

Bostonian1962 said:
This Reche Caldwell signing is why I love the Patriots, and why the brass just really knows what they are doing.

Look at Caldwell. He's a physical clone of Givens. Givens is listed at 6', 212 lbs, born in 1980, 5 yrs in the league. Caldwell is listed at 6', 215 lbs, born in 1979, 6 yrs in the league.

Givens has more catches to date, but can't you see him coming here, and w/ Brady throwing to him, mirroring Givens type of production? I can. Yet, Givens cost the Titans almost $5M a year. Don't know for sure, but I bet Caldwell cost about a fifth of that.

He was the 48th overall pick in the draft when he came out, and is faster than Givens.

In any event, this team is slick. They look for the gems, sign them at far more reasonable prices, and then win Super Bowls. Who else thinks their approach is brilliant? I LOVE it!!!!

I am hopefull but Caldwell is talked about by Charger fans as an underacheiver, misses passes and or fumbles them. If Belichick can reach and purge his demons I believe he will exceed the play of Givens or he could be another Andre Davis.

To sarge and other Naysayers of Caldwell -
How about doing some fact checking before you spew?

1) Caldwell was starting for the Chargers in 2004 out of training camp before he went down. However, he was still the 3rd option behind Tomlinson and Gates when it came to recieving.

2) Caldwell spent last year getting back into shape after his torn ACL. He was the #3 receiver, but now behind McCardell, Parker, as well as Gates and Tomlinson. McCardell, Parker, Gates, and Tomlinson accounted for 82% of the Chargers receptions. McCardell and Parker were targets 188 times combined. I'd be willing to bet that Gates and Tomlinson (who had 150 receptions) probably had another 215 targets between the two of them (assumping they caught only 70% of the passes thrown to them). That accounts for 403 of the 526 passing attempts. That only leaves 123 attempts to be spread amongst the other 6 receivers.

In contrast, the Patriots top 4 receivers only caught 58% of the teams total passes. And the team used 17 different receivers during the year, 10 of whom reached double digit receptions.

3) I keep hearing that Caldwell ran bad routes. Not in the games that I watched. He ran good routes. The one game that was mentioned earlier, no one has yet to be able to say whether it was Caldwell's fault or Brees' fault for the interception.

4) Caldwell worked very hard to improve his hands. Much like Givens did. Caldwell, over the last two seasons, has caught 46 of 71 passes thrown at him. That is a 64.8% clip. Like night and day compared to his 1st two years.

5) This idea that having 2 fumbles in one game means that Caldwell has fumblitis is ridiculous. It happens.

I expect Caldwell to challenge for the #2 position, but most likely, be the #3 receiver. He should get more passes than in San Diego just by nature of the Pats offense. I think that if he works as hard as he did to improve his game between 2003 and 2004, then he will be a good pick-up and I see no reason why that wouldn't happen.

Bostonian1962 said:

If he's half as clutch as Givens, I'll be surprised.

DaBruinz said:
I expect Caldwell to challenge for the #2 position, but most likely, be the #3 receiver. He should get more passes than in San Diego just by nature of the Pats offense. I think that if he works as hard as he did to improve his game between 2003 and 2004, then he will be a good pick-up and I see no reason why that wouldn't happen.

bingo

you have bingo

Bostonian1962 said:

Here we go. The guy had 28 receptions last year and was passed over by Eric Parker. Yeah, he's a real stud. And who cares where he was drafted. Ryan Leaf was drafted #2. Do you want the Patriots to pick him up as well. Caldwell is a nice #3 receiver but if you, or the Patriots, expect him to make the tough catches over the middle and on the sidelines like Givens has over the years, you are fooling yourself.

DaBruinz said:
To sarge and other Naysayers of Caldwell -
How about doing some fact checking before you spew?

1) Caldwell was starting for the Chargers in 2004 out of training camp before he went down. However, he was still the 3rd option behind Tomlinson and Gates when it came to recieving.

2) Caldwell spent last year getting back into shape after his torn ACL. He was the #3 receiver, but now behind McCardell, Parker, as well as Gates and Tomlinson. McCardell, Parker, Gates, and Tomlinson accounted for 82% of the Chargers receptions. McCardell and Parker were targets 188 times combined. I'd be willing to bet that Gates and Tomlinson (who had 150 receptions) probably had another 215 targets between the two of them (assumping they caught only 70% of the passes thrown to them). That accounts for 403 of the 526 passing attempts. That only leaves 123 attempts to be spread amongst the other 6 receivers.

In contrast, the Patriots top 4 receivers only caught 58% of the teams total passes. And the team used 17 different receivers during the year, 10 of whom reached double digit receptions.

3) I keep hearing that Caldwell ran bad routes. Not in the games that I watched. He ran good routes. The one game that was mentioned earlier, no one has yet to be able to say whether it was Caldwell's fault or Brees' fault for the interception.

4) Caldwell worked very hard to improve his hands. Much like Givens did. Caldwell, over the last two seasons, has caught 46 of 71 passes thrown at him. That is a 64.8% clip. Like night and day compared to his 1st two years.

5) This idea that having 2 fumbles in one game means that Caldwell has fumblitis is ridiculous. It happens.

Seeing that Caldwell missed most of the 2004 season, how many games have you seen him in where you were able to break down his route running abilities? Two? Give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back