PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell or Gaffney - Who would you rather have?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Caldwell or Gaffney?

• Caldwell

Votes: 82 44.1%
  • Gaffney

Votes: 104 55.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon Seymour, you're just being damn foolish now.

"I'll take Gaffney's one superb TD grab over Caldwell's two drops?"

Thank God I don't have you making personnel decisions for my company.

DaBruinz was comparing their games against the Colts. I answered that I would take Gaffney's performance over Caldwell's dud.

And this is a what have you done for me lately business. As a Pats fan you should know that. Gaffney was better throughout the playoffs and that's what matters most.

Gaffney by far. No question. He's a gem.

I'm curious to see what you would have said if Gaffney didn't do what he did against the Jets.

But he did. And out of the blue, he's miraculously a "gem," no question what so ever!

Your credibility couldn't be lower.

DaBruinz was comparing their games against the Colts. I answered that I would take Gaffney's performance over Caldwell's dud.

And this is a what have you done for me lately business. As a Pats fan you should know that. Gaffney was better throughout the playoffs and that's what matters most.

Damn, those Pats should get Jermaine Wiggins back here. He did have those big playoff catches, didn't he? Those will without question improve his performance in 2002.

Damn, those Pats should get Jermaine Wiggins back here. He did have those big playoff catches, didn't he? Those will without question improve his performance in 2002.

What does Jermaine Wiggins have to do with Gaffney and Caldwell?

I'm curious to see what you would have said if Gaffney didn't do what he did against the Jets.

But he did. And out of the blue, he's miraculously a "gem," no question what so ever!

Gaffney also did better than Caldwell against SD and Indy.

Gaffney also did better than Caldwell against SD and Indy.

Fantastic. The Pats will have to remember that the next time they play the Chargers or Colts in the playoffs. Just like how Mike Vanderjagt had to remember he hadn't missed a kick in over a year when he played the Pats in 2004.

Fantastic. The Pats will have to remember that the next time they play the Chargers or Colts in the playoffs. Just like how Mike Vanderjagt had to remember he hadn't missed a kick in over a year when he played the Pats in 2004.

It's certainly more fantastic putting those numbers up against the Jets, Chargers, and Colts in the playoffs than it is to perform at your best against the likes of the Texans, Lions, Bills, and Packers in the regular season.

What does Jermaine Wiggins have to do with Gaffney and Caldwell?

Why are you trying to play dumb? You understand my point completely.

Just because a player "came through in the clutch" in a previous playoff game, like Wiggins or Gaffney, doesn't mean he'll perform better in the next season because of it.

It's certainly more fantastic putting those numbers up against the Jets, Chargers, and Colts in the playoffs than it is to perform at your best against the likes of the Texans, Lions, Bills, and Packers in the regular season.

It's even nicer to average 4 catches a game against the opponents of the regular season and then average 5 catches a game against the opponents of the playoffs.

Caldwell improved upon his consistently solid regular season numbers in the playoffs. Gaffney could have walked onto the field in the playoffs and by default improved on his regular season numbers.

Why are you trying to play dumb? You understand my point completely.

Just because a player "came through in the clutch" in a previous playoff game, like Wiggins or Gaffney, doesn't mean he'll perform better in the next season because of it.

Ermm... more like it was a dumb comparison on your part. Wiggins left via FA and got a decent contract from the Panthers after his 2001 playoff performance. We also drafted Dan Graham in the 1st round shortly after. The two situations are totally different.

I started the poll, and as some know, am pro-Gaffney, anti-Caldwell.

At this point, at best, one of these guys will be WR4. That means they will contribute very little during the regular season, barring a rash of injuries.

So really, their regular season contribution next year will be marginal. They won't be needed week in and week out to produce numbers and keep the chains moving.

Instead, they will be coming in on 4-wide package, with the Pats down by 6 in the 4th, needing that big first down.

And after the AFCC game, I'd rather that guy be Gaffney than Caldwell.

Ermm... more like it was a dumb comparison on your part. Wiggins left via FA and got a decent contract from the Panthers after his 2001 playoff performance. We also drafted Dan Graham in the 1st round shortly after. The two situations are totally different.

It doesn't matter if Wiggins played football on the moon after 2001. When does a player's clutch play or two in the playoffs affect their overall performance in the next season?

It's all about the BIG picture, Seymour.

Really? All I said was that Caldwell stepped up. Since you forgot, without Caldwell's late grab, we lose that San Diego game.

No, actually, what matters most is consistency. Gaffney was non-existent for much of the regular season and had 2 nice games where we also got some good running out of Dillon and Maroney against the Jets and where Faulk was a factor against the Bolts.

When did Gaffney step up against the Colts later in the game? Why wasn't HE the one Brady was going to on the last play of the game? You don't think that if he had won so much confidence from Brady, that he'd be the one Brady was going to? Not Watson.

At this point, at best, one of these guys will be WR4. That means they will contribute very little during the regular season, barring a rash of injuries.

So really, their regular season contribution next year will be marginal. They won't be needed week in and week out to produce numbers and keep the chains moving.

Instead, they will be coming in on 4-wide package, with the Pats down by 6 in the 4th, needing that big first down.

And so you're saying one game swayed your judgment?

That's awfully rash.

Seymour -
Wiggins was an ERFA for the Pats after the 2001 season. The Pats chose NOT to tender him, letting him leave via free agency. What does THAT tell you?

The Pats drafted Graham and signed Fauria because they also let Rod Rutledge go. They had no TEs on the roster.

They are "different" only because of the facts you choose to reference.

It's even nicer to average 4 catches a game against the opponents of the regular season and then average 5 catches a game against the opponents of the playoffs.

Caldwell improved upon his consistently solid regular season numbers in the playoffs. Gaffney could have walked onto the field in the playoffs and by default improved on his regular season numbers.

But wait a minute DaBruinz was just saying a minute ago that it was inevitable that Caldwell didn't live up to his regular season performance. He didn't have a drop in the regular season and all of the sudden on the big stage he drops two of the biggest passes that's came his way in his life.

Gaffney could improve because he was signed in the middle of the season. He didn't have TC or preseason and wasn't placed into the #1 WR role by default. Let's see who comes out on top when they both get to spend an entire offseason in NE.

Last edited:
But wait a minute DaBruinz was just saying a minute ago that it was inevitable that Caldwell didn't live up to his regular season performance. He didn't have a drop in the regular season and all of the sudden on the big stage he drops two of the biggest passes that's came his way in his life.

Gaffney could improve because he was signed in the middle of the season. He didn't have TC or preseason and wasn't placed into the #1 WR role by default. Let's see who comes out on top when they both get to spend an entire offseason in NE.

You're stating the obvious - the player who performs better in camp will improve his chances to make the team.

But what you are failing to note is that your assessment of Gaffney is based off a track record of not even a game - just the touchdown catch.

The more accurate assessment would be based off both players' entire track record, weighted toward the most recent season. From this perspective, Caldwell's performance is clearly superior.

And believe me, if the Pats wanted Gaffney so badly, they could have gotten him a month earlier than they did, and replace Childress or Smith or whoever was on the roster. But they didn't, so you're whole point about getting acclimated is moot - it's not like the Pats picked him up off waivers or traded for him.

Or, the Pats will rotate players to get everyone the ball. Moss and Stallworth are very similar players. Having Caldwell or Gaffney line up opposite one of them could actually help. Pretty silly to presume HOW things will go because of the changes that will be coming because of Stallworth's and Moss' abilities.

Or, the Pats will be using a lot of 3 and 4 wide and rotating things to keep opposing teams guessing.

Caldwell...Why? because he's battle tested..he was in a NO. 1 Receiver Role most of the season, and we can all agree he is no #1 receiver, and he still played solid. Gaffney? had a little hot streak but hasnt shown me enough.

Seymour -
Wiggins was an ERFA for the Pats after the 2001 season. The Pats chose NOT to tender him, letting him leave via free agency. What does THAT tell you?

The Pats drafted Graham and signed Fauria because they also let Rod Rutledge go. They had no TEs on the roster.

They are "different" only because of the facts you choose to reference.

Pats1 tried to imply that even though Gaffney outperformed Caldwell throughout the playoffs, Gaffney was just a flash in the pan and the following season he wouldn't do crap. Pats1 did this by pointing to Jermaine Wiggins. That's a stupid comparison because Wiggins immediately left the team after the 2001 playoffs. He didn't have a chance to improve... in NE. Wiggins went to the Panthers who had Rodney Peete as their starting QB and they finished 7-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back