Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cable News Race

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 4 / -2

Lets take a look at the numbers.

CABLE NEWS RACE
    TUES. SEPT 19, 2006
    VIEWERS

FOXNEWS O'REILLY 1,932,000
    FOXNEWS SHEP SMITH 1,405,000
    FNC HANNITY/COLMES 1,396,000
    FNC BRIT HUME 1,381,000
    FNC GRETA 1,284,000

Total: 7,398,000

CNN WOLF BLITZER 912,000
    CNN LOU DOBBS 848,000
    CNN COOPER 790,000
    CNN ZAHN 783,000
    CNNHN GRACE 770,000
    CNN KING 706,000
    MSNBC SCARBOROUGH 444,000
    MSNBC OLBERMANN 444,000
    CNNHN BECK 425,000
    MSNBC HARDBALL 413,000

Total: 6,535,000.

As you can see, the left tends to watch CNN & MSNBC, while the right watches FOX. In and of itself, FOX blows away the competition, which would stand as a reason why the rest of the MSM hates it so much. Prior to FOX's birth as a news outlet, the left had a massive monopoly on coverage. Of course, beyond the viewer numbers and common assumption of network lean, this is entirely unscientific. It's just a vague explanation of where I feel the news is, and explains why you need to watch them all, and not narrow your perspective by watching only one.
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Which I why I hate when rightwingers claim the news has a liberal bias or when leftwingers claim a conservative bias. The news has a pro-itself bias and that's about it. Rupert Murdoch wants to make Rupert Murdoch richer, and Ted Turner wants to do the same for Ted Turner.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

The news "HAD" a Liberal Bias (CBS NBC PBS ABC) but Cable News and Talk Radio took care of that, that is why the Liberals HATE Cable news.

Fox News tells us all the little things that CBS doesn't want us to know, for years we had to listen to those Bastard Liberal Bastards (Cronkite, Rather ect) feed us their left wing sh!t, well that day is over.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +319 / 4 / -2

The news outlets lean left. What I mean by this is that there are far more media outlets pushing the lefts agenda than there are for the right. Overall, the viewership is pretty evenly split between FOX and the multiple lefty outlets. Now, where I agree that each individual above wants to make money, they each have use a personal political agenda as a means to generate that money.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

Not sure I understand your conclusion based on what is presented? "As you can see, the left tends to watch CNN & MSNBC, while the right watches FOX." I thought Beck was right wing? Does not make any difference as I get what I need on the Blogs in the AM and if something is good I can youtube it... or some reasonable fascimile of it.
  6. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I don't understand the point of this thread. Every network news broadcast gets 4x the ratings of what Fox's best gets. Fox News also has a 90% Republican-leaning audience, so they like to rally around their "news channel". Left leaning people, for the most part, don't even watch the other cable news as they get most of their info from the web. How are Tucker Carlson and Scarbourough and Lou Dobbs liberals anyways?
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +319 / 4 / -2

I just came across the numbers on Drudge, and have always happened to view the channels this way, albeit vaguely. I'm not really trying to make a point, I'm just trying to point something out. Remember that the "broadcast" news, or Big 3, are 30 minute segments, whereas cable news is 24 hour. That one channel might have a token lefty or righty would be understandable I'd think. Fox has Combs as it's token lefty.

Again, I'm just making light of a personal observation of media lean.