Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cable Broadband Users, Get Ready For Overage Fees

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, May 9, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

Comcast blows. I recently switched back to dsl & got Direct TV. I hate Comcast with all the fiber of my being. They charged me for a "free" service they gave me. I can't wait till next year when I can get FIOS.
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I am following your path.... I have enough with comcast.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

They are GROSS Wes. When I bought my house, I had Dish Network & Verizon. I eventually eliminated my home phone since I never used it. When I did that, I switched to Comcast TV and Inet. They had a dish buy back deal that was good. After that deal ran out, and they raised prices every few months, I was getting bent over without vasoline. $140 a month for TV & internet. The only goodie I had was HBO. So I called them to complain. They give new customers a better deal than existing ones. The CSR (cust. serv. rep) gave me $10 off for 3 months, and (this one's nice) free Max & HBO for 3 months. Well, when I called 3 months later to make sure the "free" pay channels were removed, cuz you gotta pay if you don't cancel, they charged me a fee to do so. Now, the fee was only $1.99. However, the principle totally pissed me off. How do you give someone a "free" service, but then charge them a fee to stop it? At that point I was switching. I was already paying way too much for nothing, and that was the final nail in the coffin. When I called them to cancel my service, the lady tried to make me a deal to stay. LOLOLOL!!! I asked her why they didn't give me a deal when I called to complain. Screw them, I hope they go out of business. Now I pay over $30 less per month, and get 3 recievers (to only 1 with Comcast), HDDVR service (niether with Comcast), Sports package & HBO, with more channels. Oh, and I got a wireless modem with Verizon, which is awesome with my PS3. I'm so glad I switched.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Ian will have to disable the images to keep us under the speed limit ... :p
  6. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Charging a fee for cancelling anything is absolutely absurd. They are basically charging you for their bookkeeping/maintenance.

I had a subscription from DireTV for their version of TV Guide, and decided it was useless and cancelled it. Yup, they charged me a fee for that (I was essentially paying per issue through my monthly bill). I complained bitterly and got them to reverse this.

Some years ago I went to the Lahey Clinic in Burlington as a first-time-patient. I was foolish enough to sign a document though they hid the text from me (I mean really, would a place like the Lahey Clinic try to decieve a patient :eek:?). Anyhow, what I was signing was their right to charge me for entering me into their database. My HCP at the time told them to take a hike.

And I remember when I lived in Nashua and was arranging for a furnace inspection... I was told that what they would charge me would depend on where (how far) the inspector was coming from on his prior appointment. I told them to take a hike and looked for someone else to do the job.

What does the above all have in common? These entities were trying to charge you for the cost of running their business, something that should be rolled into their budget from general service fees.

Now, if we could only get the Krafts to stop charging for parking. :D
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

Godef, it burns my arse when people do that. My Dad's landscaper charges him $2 for a "fuel surcharge". That's total BS. I told my father to switch landscapers. What fuel costs is his own problem. Either charge more for the cut, or pay yourself less. To me, it's the principle of charging an additional fee for something that should be included in the price. Another loser company tried to charge us $40 in "mileage" for servicing our AC unit at our office. You'd think that for $40 he was driving an hour or something. Well, we're in Chelsea, and he's in Everett. We're about 3/4 of a mile from his office. I called and they took it off. That stuff annoys me. When I was doing masonry, I never scammed anyone. I always gave the best prices I could. Nothing was ever hidden. I hate that so many people are disengenuous, when there really isn't a need to be. Like I was told when I was younger, "it's better to make $100 off 5 customers, than it is to screw 1 customer to make $500. Cuz those 5 happy customers will get you 5 new clients in the future, while the 1 unhappy one, will make sure you don't ever get any." I'm paraphrasing, but that was how I learned to operate, and how I'll always be.
  8. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Isn't DSL slower than cable? Or is that a myth?
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

Yes it is. I've got 3.0 mps, whereas my cable was about 6. However, the performance tests tell me that I'm running at about 2,000+k. The higher the dsl speed, the more money, and vice versa. Regular dsl is $12 a month now, but it's that 760k crap. Servicable if you're not doing anything demanding. cable is expensive, at $60 for 6mps speed. My dsl at 3 mps costs me a little over $35 I think. They have speeds comparable to cable, but it's more $$. The best dsl is not as fast as the best cable though. Comcast has some super speed junk for more money. In the end my 3 mps serves me good. No lag when I play BF2, or PS3. The onyl time I notice the difference is when I dl something big. It takes longer.
  10. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Exactly ! isn't ridiculous!

I read once that japan and south korea sell 20MB down. for 15$ ,where me i pay comcast 45$ for their 5MB DOWN.

If i can find that article , i will post it .
  11. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It is, however Cable is all based on how many nodes are on each blade. The more peopel that live around you that use the service the worse your performance. Now this is most likely true of any internet service provider, however Comcast obviously is the big player where they are, becuase everyone goes Cable. My dad, uses DSL, and I swear it's faster than my Cable line...
  12. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Uhmmmm... You better expect this sort of stuff more and more.

I think it all depends on the situation... and the type of service it is.

Shipping/freight companies are always going to do this to you.
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  13. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

In the sticks... cable is $59 a month.

Should I be fcuk 'n pissed off at this?
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  14. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yes, that's another great example! I was once charged $8 S&H on a $17 product. Brick & mortar stores have their own unique overhead: salespeople, etc. These Internet site's pitch is that they pass their savings on to us and prove it with much lower prices, but then turn around and recoup the difference with S&H. Imagine if Best Buy tried to charge you for stocking and sales fees on top of the retail price of a product?

Fortunately, I have seen this trend reversing on many sites in whch their biggest sales pitch is now no S&H if you ake a minimum order.
  15. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yes. Many of the bigger stores make free shipping their "bonus" or "premium" if you hit a certain limit. They will most likely hit you up with another upsell too.
  16. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm with you (sort of). My town has a Comcast-type company called Metrocast. I gave them the finger last year and switched to dsl/direct TV. No wonder cable aggressively advertises against satellite - it's better (in my opinion). Most of the cable companies' reasons for not getting satellite are false/outdated anyway. And my DSL internet is actually faster than the cable, because cable is a limited medium. And cable advertises that they're faster than DSL, and that's true, but not in any real noticable way for residential end users. Someone checking their mail, coming to this forum, and watching dumb youtube videos wouldn't get anything faster because they have cable. Those speeds apply to really large file transfers and such.

To sum up, YAY Direct TV.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

I was looking at my Direct Tv bill yesterday, and I noticed something that made me do a double take. There are no franchise, or FCC fees. Unless I'm blind, the only extra is sales tax, which was 50 cents. My Comcast bill had:

Franchise Related Cost
    Franchise Fee
    FCC Fee
    Franchise Fee (listed on the bill twice for different amounts)
    Sales Tax

$3.87 total. :eek: I figure those must be for use of lines, whereas Satellite obviously doesn't. I guess those fees would put the land line users at a slight disadvantage.

Does anyone in here have FIOS? I'm curious what users think of it. I know their internet service is lightning fast, and some have raved about the quality of the television picture. I just wonder if it's competitivley priced.
  18. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't have FiOS but I looked into it. I think it's still more expensive then the conventional DSL/Direct TV packages out there. Also, it's still not available in some areas. I have heard that it's pretty awesome though.