Welcome to PatsFans.com

CA Football Player, Exonerated Of Rape Charges After Over 5 Years In Prison

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 25, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Brian Banks, CA Football Player, Exonerated Of Rape Charges After Over 5 Years In Prison (PHOTOS)

Brian Banks, now 26, pleaded no contest 10 years ago on the advice of his lawyer after a childhood friend falsely accused him of attacking her on their high school campus.

In a strange turn of events, the woman, Wanetta Gibson, friended him on Facebook when he got out of prison.

But she refused to repeat the story to prosecutors because she feared she would have to return a $1.5 million payment from a civil suit brought by her mother against Long Beach schools.

During a second meeting that was secretly videotaped, she told Banks, "`I will go through with helping you, but it's like at the same time all that money they gave us, I mean gave me, I don't want to have to pay it back,'" according to Freddie Parish, a defense investigator who was at the meeting.

===================================================================
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Too bad, but the kid is saying he still has designs on playing in the NFL..

Gotta wonder what 5 years in prison for a wrongful conviction does to the mind/psyche???

One of the few instances of good done on facebook lately..

The "victim" needs to return the money with interest, and she needs to be prosecuted as well for her wrongdoing..
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

He should sue her himself and she should be charged with perjury and fraud.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

That's complete and utter BS! This guy lost prime years of his life for a crime he didn't commit, because this girl lied. Not only did she lie, and did he go to jail, but she profited from it. She should be arrrested immediately! :mad:
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Belichick needs to kick the tires on this guy. The only thing that will outweigh 5 years in prison for a crime you didn't commit, is winning the lottery by becoming a New England Patriot.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Put her in a mens prison and make her take showers with the cons then she'll know what rape really is.
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

There is not any amount of money in the world that would entice me to do what she did. Carma's a *****, and I bet she gets hers.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

It's astonishing to me that people who are wrongly convicted receive no restitution.

In this case, he served 5 yrs? She should go away for 15. And that money? His. (if I were king)
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Apparently it is difficult to go after the accuser, but Brian Banks is entitled to some form of compensation, due to false imprisonment..

She has no money and statute of limitations are issues..

Prosecution of false accuser in rape case seen as difficult - latimes.com

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Thanks for another glimpse into the dark, foul-smelling inner workings of your mind, Boy.

Turn your "Stupid S#!t" filter back on.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

True. You can't get blood from a stone, but this girl should be stripped of every penny she earns for the rest of her life. She should also go to prison, of course. Her age at the time was the same as Brian's. The compensation should come from whoever was his attorney at the time he was told to cop a plea when there was no evidence.

I saw this guy on TV being interviewed with his new lawyer. One of the humblest, intelligent, decent-sounding people I've ever heard. He's seemed to have learned a lot in his struggle and has wisdom beyond his years. I'd hire him in a second. Good luck to him, but I think he's going to have plenty of opportunities coming his way. He needs to move to a place where he can find a job, though.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

If there is any compensation from the accuser, which I doubt, it will be chump change... and will do little to make up for five years behind high walls.
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

At least there's some compensation from the state -- it doesn't come close to making up for what happened to him, but otoh, $200k is a nice cushion to help get back on your feet (or, if he already is, to pay some bills and be the start of a nest egg... and treat yourself to at least something nice after this ordeal)

Where did the $750k go? Is she an addict?
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

UPDATE:

Mike Shanahan: Brian Banks deserves an opportunity | ProFootballTalk

Shanahan said that Banks earned the chance to “see what type of shape he’s in and see if there’s a chance” because of the way he handled himself throughout the ordeal.

“I think when somebody goes through the situation that he went through, you know, he deserves an opportunity to try out for somebody,” Shanahan said after practice on Thursday. “Concerning what he went through — just reading about it, I don’t know him personally — I called him up and said, ‘Hey, we’d love to have you out.’”

Banks also has tryouts lined up with the Seahawks and Chiefs in the coming weeks.

way to go!
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Wish him well, the problem becomes hew was out of circulation for so long, if he in NFL shape and there is such a learning curve in the NFL...
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As much as it would be a great feel good story to make the NFL, I don't really see that as a realistic possibility. A guy who never even played any football beyond high school - and even that was about a decade ago - could not just jump into the highest professional level.

Call me crazy, but I think the young man should be allowed to get an athletic scholarship and play division 1. Yes he is a bit older than the average undergrad, but he certainly wouldn't be the oldest guy playing at that level. Okie State's star QB last year was 29.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Stephen Neal says "hello"