PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

c-Dill's offseason program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me in for the CD fan club. Talk of his demise IS greatly exaggerated.
He'll be back with a vengence, pushing would be tacklers around like so many empty shopping carts.

I hope I'm wrong...

but "smell the coffee." I think CD is done. I remember hearing that he failed the physical right after Superbowl 39. I think we need a speed back who can make people miss. Our offensive line does not open big holes and we need someone who can "hit it" when a little day light does appear. CD did a hell of a job for us in our run to SB 39 but I think the tank is empty. I actually think some of CDs poor attitude was directed at our O line last year and it certainly won't be a hell of a lot better this year.:D

PatsSox363804 said:
Dillon was clearly never 100% last season. You don't go from the best season of your career to being "done" that quickly, the odds of that happening are not very good. Count me in on the ones who think Dillon will bounce back strong this year assuming he remains healthy.
I agree, it was obvious he was never healthy. Go back and watch him run in the Green Bay exhibition game, I have it on tape, and it was the 2004 Dillon. Then, he just ran differently most of the regular season. It was clear he was hurt and it was something to do with his leg, though we never found out exactly what.

J D Sal

rabthepat said:
I actually think some of CDs poor attitude was directed at our O line last year and it certainly won't be a hell of a lot better this year.
Sure it should be better. We lost Light for most of the year, Koppen for half the year, Mankins was a rookie and Kaczur was a rookie.

rabthepat said:
but "smell the coffee." I think CD is done. I remember hearing that he failed the physical right after Superbowl 39. I think we need a speed back who can make people miss.

I agree with the poster who's already mentioned the return of much of the battered O Line... our O Line last year was like the proverbial dancing bear: The "performance" isn't a matter of dancing well - it's the ability to dance at all.

Beyond that, we need a speed back why? Because Willie Parker (in Pitt.) was fun to watch last year? "Need" is a word that bothers me, because we need to win. Beyond that, this team has shown the most versatility in how to win I have ever seen. Slightly off topic but related, I heard one of the talking heads on television, talking about defense, say last year something to the effect of.... "The __________s dominate you. The _________s smother you. The Patriots just beat you."

Same idea. We don't need a speed back, just because it would be cool to have one. We don't need somebody's recently annointed "shutdown corner" because we don't have one. We don't need any particular position. What we need is to get the best value possible at every position targeted, and pay exhaustive attention to making the mix right. That approach is behind all the talk of "character" and "unselfishness" we throw around on these boards. It just does not work to rely on the stars. Any given game, any given Sunday, any given star.

Quite frankly (to coin a phrase,) that's all you need.

PFnV

PS, to the hypothetical lurking family members... let your guys know we appreciate how hard they work in this system to get the most out of what they're capable of. If "the biz" pushes them out or they opt out, the only way for fans to respond is with sincere thanks for their contributions. Oh yeah and rancor toward all professional athletes because they make more than us, but hey, don't hate the playa, hate the game.

rabthepat said:
I actually think some of CDs poor attitude was directed at our O line last year and it certainly won't be a hell of a lot better this year.:D
What poor attitude? You're not talking about that alleged sideline thing are you? He was frustrated, I nerver saw him yell at anyone but himself.

Cd

I defended CD for the first 4 to 5 games of last season but then I would watch his performance on Sunday ticket shorts cuts and I could no longer argue with my friends who saw his demise before I saw it. If you watch him run now he turns his shoulder away from the tackler; he has no speed what so ever and he is limited in the pass game. For the money I would now take Antwon Smith over him.

And I don't agree that our O line droped that significant after the Koppen and Light injuries. Watch the games when the were there. We blew NOBODY off the line and I mean NOBODY.

I, also, don't buy into the CD injury thing as an excuse. If you suit up for the game and take the field then be ready for battle no excuses. As Bill B. says, "Ever team has injuries."

rabthepat said:
I, also, don't buy into the CD injury thing as an excuse. If you suit up for the game and take the field then be ready for battle no excuses. As Bill B. says, "Ever team has injuries."
Perhaps "Ever team has injuries", but you're using that quote out of context. What you should be asking is whether or not CD was INCAPABLE of playing at 100% last year due to injuries and whether he will be 100% this coming year. If the answers are yes and yes, we're going to be looking at a helluva lot better player and running game.

Blue or red pill???

Patjew said:
Perhaps "Ever team has injuries", but you're using that quote out of context. What you should be asking is whether or not CD was INCAPABLE of playing at 100% last year due to injuries and whether he will be 100% this coming year. If the answers are yes and yes, we're going to be looking at a helluva lot better player and running game.

Sorry about the missing "y'.

It looks as though Morpheus gave you guys the blue pills and I got the Red(for reality) pill.

big power back + over 30 years old + no pro bowl linemen + injuries = fat lady singing

In all seriousness, I do hope you guys are right and I am wrong.

I do not think Dillon is done either - I am definitely excited for him this season - I don't think he can match 2004, but I certainly think he can give us about 1,000-1,200 yards.

The big problem here is, whatever caused his high-ankle sprain --- and maybe an injury to the other leg, too --- why do we think it won't happen again this year? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Last season, we did NOT have a legitimate backup to fill the role Corey fills. Getting him injured was almost half as bad as getting Brady injured, in terms of being stranded without him.

For the coming season, we need a good young Dillon clone. Hoping our QB doesn't get injured is statistically somewhat realistic. Hoping our 30-something RB doesn't get injured is asking for trouble!

rabthepat said:
Sorry about the missing "y'.

It looks as though Morpheus gave you guys the blue pills and I got the Red(for reality) pill.

big power back + over 30 years old + no pro bowl linemen + injuries = fat lady singing

In all seriousness, I do hope you guys are right and I am wrong.
I don't understand the point you are trying to make in these posts.

Even if a player is hurt, if he suits up he should be ready to play, you day.

Okay,I'll by that. But if you mean because he suits up, he will play the sameeven if he is injured, you aren'tmaking sense. If a RB/WR/CB has a high ankle sprain, he can suit and and be willing to play,but he just is not going to perform the same as if he did not have the sprain.

Also, to make an age the determiner of playing ability is silly. THere are some horrible players under 30, and a few RBs that got the job done post-30.

The over-30 thing works when you talk about RBs in general, but as soon as you start talking about one specific RB, the over 30 thing simply does not apply. It depends on the particular back. Curtis Enos at 24 or CUrtis Martin at 32?

I am 100% for giving Dillon the benifit of the doubt

Corey Dillon is a pure "Man-Beast"...... 2004 he was nothing short of awesome. Obviously he was never at 100% last year and injuries to the offensive line didn't help at all. Corey, I know your gonna plough thru holes this year like the irate bull thru the china closet. Love ya, CD..... Prove all the nay-sayers wrong!:rocker:

JDSal45 said:
I agree, it was obvious he was never healthy. Go back and watch him run in the Green Bay exhibition game, I have it on tape, and it was the 2004 Dillon. Then, he just ran differently most of the regular season. It was clear he was hurt and it was something to do with his leg, though we never found out exactly what.

J D Sal

He had a high ankle sprain then injured the calf muscle in his other leg by running on one leg while leading us to victory in the first Buffalo game.

He was playing through injuries in 2004 also. He still did pretty good.:rolleyes:

My hats off to Patsfans.com on this.

Sure, Dillon's time will be up someday. Rbs take a beating.

On another board that shall remain nameless, *cough* kffl *cough*

a lot of posters are treating him like he's some kind of malingerer.

I ran across this while looking for something else. Apparently, he didn't exactly breeze to 1600 yards in 2004 either.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/11/15/dillon_fights_through_pain/

Dillon fights through pain
In 2d half, he bounces back

By Nick Cafardo and Jim McCabe, Globe Staff | November 15, 2004

FOXBOROUGH -- Because Corey Dillon means so much to the Patriots offense, any sign of injury is cause for concern. Such a moment came with 8:06 remaining in the first half last night when Dillon, after an 8-yard run, came up limping and went to the sideline, where he stayed for the rest of the half.
ADVERTISEMENT

Suddenly that anxiety turned into a sigh of relief when Dillon returned with a vengeance in the second half and wound up rushing for 151 yards on 26 carries in New England's 29-6 win over the Buffalo Bills at Gillette Stadium.

Dillon was on the sideline, favoring his left knee as the medical staff worked on him.

The Patriots running back, who now has 900 yards and is averaging 5 yards per carry, has had problems with foot and thigh injuries this season, missing the Pittsburgh game, New England's only loss. Last night the Patriots used Kevin Faulk and Patrick Pass, and scored two touchdowns, with Dillon on the sideline.

"I just wanted to play," said Dillon, who at first asked reporters to "talk to Bill [Belichick]" about the injury. "I just wanted to go out there and run and help us win and do what I can do. I'm just having fun. It's been a long time since I've felt like this. We're doing things as a team, winning as a team."

While a reporter suggested he had an easy time penetrating the Bills defense, which hadn't allowed a 100-yard rusher, Dillon bristled.

"That's a great defense over there. They play hard. When you gain 100 yards against them, you've earned it," said Dillon.

Fanfrom1960 said:
the taildragger said:
He hired a personal trainer this offseason who's had him on an intense program which includes running up sand dunes. No joke. QUOTE]
If he still lives in Washigton state and is going to the Oregon coast, those babies are high! I don't know if Washington has high sand dunes also.
In Washington they refer to them as volcanic ash dunes.

re

RayClay said:
He probably goes to message boards and reads all the whines about him from us out of shape, Frito munching, arm chair quarterbacks and imagines stomping all over our faces as he runs up sand dunes all winter with lead filled army boots on.

That's pretty much how I feel. CD has a lot of pride, and you know he's working his arse off to prove everyone wrong. Dillon played injured with a high ankle sprain last year, which really limited his ability to make cuts and create leverage. He also ran behind two rookies, as well as two backups who were replacing Matt Light and Dan Koppen.

Count me in the "Corey Dillon will run for 1300+ yards, 10+ TD's next year" camp.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
Corey's demise has been greatly, hysterically exaggerated HERE and in the media. It's clear the Pats need to draft his heir apparent - and would have been clear even if the guy had made the Pro Bowl last season. But he's not done, he is THE STARTER at running back next year, and people needed to F-ing relax.

You are exactly right! I usually don't attack people. Not my style. But, I'm making an exception. Those that say Corey Dillon is done, based on him playing with a bad ankle all year are morons. The head moron is Ron Borges.

I say we start calling him Mo-Ron Borges.:)

spacecrime said:
I don't understand the point you are trying to make in these posts.

Even if a player is hurt, if he suits up he should be ready to play, you day.

Okay,I'll by that. But if you mean because he suits up, he will play the sameeven if he is injured, you aren'tmaking sense. If a RB/WR/CB has a high ankle sprain, he can suit and and be willing to play,but he just is not going to perform the same as if he did not have the sprain.

Also, to make an age the determiner of playing ability is silly. THere are some horrible players under 30, and a few RBs that got the job done post-30.

The over-30 thing works when you talk about RBs in general, but as soon as you start talking about one specific RB, the over 30 thing simply does not apply. It depends on the particular back. Curtis Enos at 24 or CUrtis Martin at 32?
I completely agree with all of these points. Suiting up does not make one 100% and generalizations are too... general.

shakadave said:
The big problem here is, whatever caused his high-ankle sprain --- and maybe an injury to the other leg, too --- why do we think it won't happen again this year? Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
legitimate concern.

Injuries obviously become harder to bounce back from and CD's a pretty physical runner.

This is where I put "faith" in the trainers (otherwise I'd be perpetually pissed off with the world like Felger -- and no, Marv Levy is not running our team). BB has experience with the aging RB syndrome...if he feels there's a significant chance that same injury, or something similar, could recur next season I'm sure he'll address that head-on before August -- otherwise I expect to see CD back healthy next season.

the way I look at it, we're talking about an epic one-year 25% decline in production on a yards-per-carry basis -- if Corey could just pick up half of that next year and maintain it for a whole season there would be a lot of happy people in Foxboro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back