PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bye week filler - Brandon Lloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do it. That instantly solves the wideout problem, and gives us a chance to draft and develop a guy behind him.

errr....what?

So, we have Welker, Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez and you'd want us to draft and develop a guy behind Lloyd?

Have you noticed our defense at all? If we get Lloyd, then WR goes to the very bottom of the draft priority list...

errr....what?

So, we have Welker, Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez and you'd want us to draft and develop a guy behind Lloyd?

Have you noticed our defense at all? If we get Lloyd, then WR goes to the very bottom of the draft priority list...
WR wouldn't be close to the bottom. We have zero - Z E R O - young WR and would absolutely need to draft a couple. We would also need a decent FA signee if O-C is gone. Someone like Eddie Royal just to pick a name. Welker, Lloyd, Royal, rookie, rookie would be a nice group, good starters, a veteran backup who can play outside or slot and some young upside. In this scenario, though, we could use our 1s and 2s on defense and look at WR starting in the third round.

Moving on from that, yes, Lloyd replacing O-C would be awesome. A 2 WR/2 TE/1 RB base with Lloyd, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and Ridley gets me a little too excited.

Last edited:
I'm all for bringing in Lloyd. However, I think that we might still keep Branch or Ochocinco.
Lloyd would replace ONE of them, rather than both.

The patriots can choose to bring in another wide receiver, if the need is there, perhaps a young developmental wideout to compete for a roster spot. I'd rather not have a wide receiver need when we draft.

Last edited:
The patriots can choose to bring in another wide receiver, if the need is there, perhaps a young developmental wideout to compete for a roster spot. I'd rather not have a wide receiver need when we draft.
Exactly!

5 Wide Receivers for the 2012 NFL Season

Welker
Lloyd
Branch (home town discount)
Edelman
Underwood or Undrafted Free Agent

Saw Brandon Lloyd catch a monster Bomb from Captain Neckbeard (Orton) in London a year ago...

I like the guy and think he would be a great fit. Allows us to use the draft to continue the "rennovation" of the D - which is a good thing.

errr....what?

1. Drafting a WR does not exclude getting help for the defense.

2. Pats have no young talent at WR outside of Tiquan, who doesn't project to be much more than a #4 WR if anything at all. Actually, I'd argue they have no talent, period, after Welker. Branch is clearly slowing down and can't be counted on to stay healthy. They need to add someone, and Belichick clearly was aware of that when he traded for Ochocinco this year.

3. Lloyd is not a long term solution. He's a gap filler until we find someone in the draft or free agency who isn't in their mid-30's already.

4. The Pats could use more receiver depth, not less. That group is and will be for the indefinite future, the most important part of the team outside of OL and QB. If Lloyd came here, it would likely be for only a year or two.

That's not permanent solution, but it is enough time to take some guys in the draft and see what they've got. If you get nothing, then you at least bought yourself some time with Lloyd to find a longer term answer on the outside. Welker will probably be here for years, but he's also not getting any younger.

Last edited:
No offense, but being too young to remember that doesn't exactly make you a youngster:):)

What's that you say, Sonny? Dagnabbit, where's my ear horn, and my spectacles...;););)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back